Marquee Matches - Pride Match Fail

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with being selfish. Always look after #1 first and foremost.

No great society was ever created on the premise of forcing people into a collective mind set. That's how religions and political ideologies held power over so many nations for so long.

The freest of societies in history were created around the right of the individual to express themselves independent of the state.
You’re still yet to explain how me making a suggestion is forcing something.

Yet you can tell me to stop “telling people what to think and say”

You just seem like one of those typical PC gone mad ranters

The pride match was a saints initiative if I recall. Its the 3rd year its been done i think.

And hopefully the last. Trust the Saints to take a reasonable idea, screw it up and then keep it going past its sell-by date...

images

And hopefully the last. Trust the Saints to take a reasonable idea, screw it up and then keep it going past its sell-by date...

images

Obviously someone didn't understand the theme.

It was a Pride game to promote inclusiveness of LGBTIQ+ people within the wider AFL community with funds raised from merchandise going towards programs that assist LGBTIQ+ Youth through Minus18.

That's a little bit different than Marriage Equality.

Is the pride game really a marquee fixture?

Strikes me as one of those 'oh they're wearing slightly different jumpers/playing for some trophy' kind of games rather than an event that's going to attract more people than the same fixture otherwise would.
I am not sure about that. I was at the game and at the risk of assuming a lot of peoples sexuality, there were a hell of a lot of LGBT fans there. I am also assuming that these fans don't always attend games in these numbers. But I feel safe in assuming there were considerably more there on Sat night than there would have been if it wasn't pride round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Claiming his opinion is invalid because of his race - which is what you did - is certainly racist.
Where did I claim that? I asked if he was that? And then mocked his ability to tell people from another completely seperate background their life experiences.

You realise a key aspect of racism is the belief that ones race is superior...being that I’m white, how can I be of the belief that being white is superior of being white?

So you don’t actually understand what racism is then...

Are you one of those people who whinges on the herald sun articles about how oppressed you are by PC?
I understand racism quite well champ, I was taking the piss out of you, but if you want to argue, then I’ll indulge you.

Do you know what racism is?

You clearly don’t if you have absolutely no understanding of internalised racism and self-loathing is, both well studied and accepted academic theories.

Herald sun? I live in a different state and have little time for the media, most of which, with a few notable exceptions, reinforces what you and others call a ‘PC Culture’. PC is more of annoyance, which most normal people see through. My main gripe lies with any attacks on freedom of speech and the main stream elements of 3rd feminism and their fallacies.

I understand racism quite well champ, I was taking the piss out of you, but if you want to argue, then I’ll indulge you.

Do you know what racism is?

You clearly don’t if you have absolutely no understanding of internalised racism and self-loathing is, both well studied and accepted academic theories.

Herald sun? I live in a different state and have little time for the media, most of which, with a few notable exceptions, reinforces what you and others call a ‘PC Culture’. PC is more of annoyance, which most normal people see through. My main gripe lies with any attacks on freedom of speech and the main stream elements of 3rd feminism and their fallacies.
Yes both which have the aspect of finding another race superior (by finding yours inferior). Jesus.

Using the word "gay" as an insult stems from its perjorative usage as a term for a same-sex attracted person. I accept that plenty of people - particularly teenagers - now use it as a synonym for "lame" without thinking about where it comes from, but its origins are in homophobia.

I mean, come on - do you think it came to prominence as an insult because it meant "happy"?

Same goes for terms like "r*tarded" (asterisk to get around the filter). I freely admit that when I was in early middle school, it didn't click for me as to why either of those terms might be offensive, but you make the connections as to where they came from as you grow.

you made me think, but for mine it’s ‘gay culture’ Streisand Minelli wizard of oz Kylie etc which is also pretty ‘lame’ in the main

Camo trousers or jackets. Things you think are lame/gay which no one else does

Well, I didn't see this thread going in this direction /s
Sadly I did, the North BF board experienced very similar debates in our Gender Equality Plan Thread. Debates about opportunity of outcome v opportunity turning into a debate about Canadian politics 50 pages later.

I am not sure about that. I was at the game and at the risk of assuming a lot of peoples sexuality, there were a hell of a lot of LGBT fans there. I am also assuming that these fans don't always attend games in these numbers. But I feel safe in assuming there were considerably more there on Sat night than there would have been if it wasn't pride round.

The crowd on the weekend was 27.5k which is the lowest Docklands crowd for the fixture since 2002. Having not attended the game (or watched it on TV after quarter time) I couldn't tell you how many LGBT people were there. If there were even just a handful who wouldn't have otherwise gone then that's great for the initiative the clubs have shown, but realistically we're talking about a target market that is small percentage of a small percentage. I just don't see it as an event that will get punters through the gate in big numbers.

IMO there's a disconnect because there aren't openly gay footballers in the AFL. There are indigenous players, players from different cultural backgrounds, players from the country, (ex) players who served in the wars etc. so there's a natural overlap for things like ANZAC Day and Dreamtime at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back