Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Whats the point if most religions dont accept it ?
it is a religion rooted thing after all

I can see how divorce lawyers and the weddiing industry would be for it. Gay people tend to be extremely cashed up

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whats the point if most religions dont accept it ?
it is a religion rooted thing after all

Why should equality be based upon religious grounds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex_21

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2008
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Landsborough
Clearly gay marriage will lead to an increase in beastiality, pedophilia and Michael Clarke. It is the devil.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
Jesus I'm sick of this issue - who ****ing cares.

To be honest, I hope Labor are politically stupid enough to push this through - they will leak even more voters to the Coalition (multicultural Australia is not as enlightened on this issue as Anglo Australia) and gain absolutely none.

But I doubt even Gillard is stupid enough to do this.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Jesus I'm sick of this issue - who ****ing cares.

To be honest, I hope Labor are politically stupid enough to push this through - they will leak even more voters to the Coalition (multicultural Australia is not as enlightened on this issue as Anglo Australia) and gain absolutely none.

But I doubt even Gillard is stupid enough to do this.

We're ALL sick of it, Trippy. Equalise it all and let's hear no more about it.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
We're ALL sick of it, Trippy. Equalise it all and let's hear no more about it.

The problem is the loud minority don't want to hear what the silent majority actually think.

Earlier this year, Labor MP's were asked to canvass their electorates as to their thoughts on gay marriage.
The responses were overwhelmingly negative.

But saying no to the loony left never works so they will continue to bang on and on and on about it.

Its a political death sentence for Labor and everyone knows it.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem is the loud minority don't want to hear what the silent majority actually think.

That is truly signature worthy. Congratulations.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Earlier this year, Labor MP's were asked to canvass their electorates as to their thoughts on gay marriage.
The responses were overwhelmingly negative.

But saying no to the loony left never works so they will continue to bang on and on and on about it.

Its a political death sentence for Labor and everyone knows it.

Civil rights have ALWAYS been a sticking point until someone's brave enough to force the issue. Years ago the indigenous poulation of Australia could not vote in their own friggen country.

It took vision and courage to redress the issue.

Once we're all equal under law, I'd be surprised if this causes ANY social upheaval at all.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
That is truly signature worthy. Congratulations.

You must be a bit slow then.

This might be hard for some to understand but the fact of the matter is that the majority out there don't support gay marriage. Gillard knows this as do her MP's - particularly those representing multicultural seats where the issue has the potential to be a vote changer.

And the majority who do feel passionately for gay marriage, are mostly Laborites anyway.

As I said before - as far as I'm concerned I would hope Gillard is stupid enough to push this through. Would make a Coalition victory at the next election even more of a certainty.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Civil rights have ALWAYS been a sticking point until someone's brave enough to force the issue. Years ago the indigenous poulation of Australia could not vote in their own friggen country.

It took courage to redress the issue.

Once we're all equal under law, I'd be surprised if this causes ANY social upheaval at all.

Comparing indigenous voting rights to gay marriage is truly insulting to Aboriginal Australians.

However, you're right it won't cause any social upheaval.

What you fail to understand is that it is political suicide for Labor right now.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This might be hard for some to understand but the fact of the matter is that the majority out there don't support gay marriage. Gillard knows this as do her MP's - particularly those representing multicultural seats where the issue has the potential to be a vote changer.

So the growing threat posed by multiculturalism is actually PRESERVING the conservative status-quo on this issue?

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So the growing threat posed by multiculturalism is actually PRESERVING the conservative status-quo on this issue?

Don't know why you used the term 'threat'?

However yes, multiculturalism does help preserve the conservative position on this issue.

I'm sure Sarah Hanson-Young and Bob Brown wouldn't be able to see the irony in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back