Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Tim Minchin has offended the homophobes on here by calling them homophobes? Poor little petals.
I've always been proud of my views, and wear pejorative tags with pride. It seems that deep down the homophobes know they're wrong, otherwise they wouldn't cry foul as they do. It's very easy not to be called homophobic if you don't want to, and that's not behave like a homophobe.

You used Elton John as an example of a homosexuals having sex with a woman. I asked for a timeline, but didn't get one because it would prove that when he was in his heterosexual marriage he was having straight sex. Now he's chosen to be homosexual and I would have to imagine that he is NOW only engaging in homosexual sex, thus eliminating your thought process by mentioning Elton in the first place.

Elton did not choose to be gay. He chose to go along with what was society's expectation of a man back in those days, just like lots of older gay friends of mine, who married women, even though they knew their primary sexual orientation was towards men.

I had a conversation with my father-in-law yesterday, who was a tradie in the '70s and '80s, and he spoke about just how much they were taught to fear homosexuals, how they were coming for your children etc. It was quite disconcerting. He also identifies as a Christian, though doesn't go to church, and said five years ago, he would have voted no but he's come around on how absurd that is. Being a manager, working with gay people, having adult children with gay friends and no issues with it etc has all worked to bring him round.

My mum is a very stout Christian who, before I came out, had very anti-gay ideas simply because she had never really met any gay people. When I came out to her she realised how absurd those notions were and is now very supportive of my partner and I.

Last edited:
If there is someone out there who subscribes to this opinion, that "its against my religion, and so therefore it should not be permitted", I would like an explanation as to WHY their religious beliefs should be imposed on others who do not share said belief?

Because if you don't accept these beliefs you are going straight to hell.

Because if you don't accept these beliefs you are going straight to hell.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/23/world/pope-atheists-again/index.html

From the Pope.

"I believe that the church not only should apologize to the person who is gay whom it has offended," the pope told reporters, "but has to apologize to the poor, to exploited women, to children exploited for labor; it has to ask forgiveness for having blessed many weapons."

"So many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others," Francis said during morning Mass at Casa Santa Marta, according to Vatican Radio. "How many times have we heard -- all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere -- 'But to be a Catholic like that, it's better to be an atheist.' It is that: scandal."

Marriage Equality may not be official church doctrine but it's certainly not true that only believers go to heaven...just do good in the world. I personally can only see good from the change proposed in the Marriage Act.

From the Pope.

"I believe that the church not only should apologize to the person who is gay whom it has offended," the pope told reporters, "but has to apologize to the poor, to exploited women, to children exploited for labor; it has to ask forgiveness for having blessed many weapons."

"So many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others," Francis said during morning Mass at Casa Santa Marta, according to Vatican Radio. "How many times have we heard -- all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere -- 'But to be a Catholic like that, it's better to be an atheist.' It is that: scandal."

Marriage Equality may not be official church doctrine but it's certainly not true that only believers go to heaven...just do good in the world. I personally can only see good from the change proposed in the Marriage Act.

The Catholic Church may survive, after all.

The Catholic Church may survive, after all.
This is the prevailing view among Catholic parishioners in Western countries under the age of 60. You see a 50/50 split Labor and Liberal in the Church in Australia for those who don't remember 'the reds under the bed'. Unlike the Liberal party which is beholden to extremists, the Catholic Church here is literally a broad-church. If the Church in Australia was able to act in some sort of autonomy I am confident there would be a greater debate surrounding issues such as marriage equality and priest celibacy.
It's not a fundamentalist institution, and its future generations are educated today by laypersons in the Catholic schools who have a more metaphorical and ethics based interpretation on biblical events, rather than a literal view. The Church needs members to survive, fire and brimstone is nowhere near as attractive as forgiveness and inclusion.

Those Protestants and Evangelicals though...nutjobs! They can have their Hillsong rubbish, and babbling on in so-called 'tongues'. I'll have my simple quiet prayers in peace thank you.

Last edited:

From the Pope.

Good to see. It was more the Lyle Sheltons of the world I was talking about.

This is the prevailing view among Catholic parishioners in Western countries under the age of 60. You see a 50/50 split Labor and Liberal in the Church in Australia for those who don't remember 'the reds under the bed'. Unlike the Liberal party which is beholden to extremists, the Catholic Church here is literally a broad-church. If the Church in Australia was able to act in some sort of autonomy I am confident there would be a greater debate surrounding issues such as marriage equality and priest celibacy.
It's not a fundamentalist institution, and its future generations are educated today by laypersons in the Catholic schools who have a more metaphorical and ethics based interpretation on biblical events, rather than a literal view. The Church needs members to survive, fire and brimstone is nowhere near as attractive as forgiveness and inclusion.

Those Protestants and Evangelicals though...nutjobs! They can have their Hillsong rubbish, and babbling on in so-called 'tongues'. I'll have my simple quiet prayers in peace thank you.
More tolerant of casual alcoholism as well, I'm not a believer but the Protestants have always looked a bit too no fun for my tastes.

Moral Dilemma.

My father has moved around a bit in the last twelve months and I have checked his enrolment and noticed he is still enrolled at his old address. He is ardently against marriage equality and I am in favour of it. Being a non-compulsory, non-binding, postal vote, do I have any sort of obligation to tell my father to update his enrolment, or do I let his ballot paper get delivered to an address he no longer lives at so he cannot participate in the survey and marriage equality is one vote closer to fruition?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My father has moved around a bit in the last twelve months and I have checked his enrolment and noticed he is still enrolled at his old address. He is ardently against marriage equality and I am in favour of it. Being a non-compulsory, non-binding, postal vote, do I have any sort of obligation to tell my father to update his enrolment, or do I let his ballot paper get delivered to an address he no longer lives at so he cannot participate in the survey and marriage equality is one vote closer to fruition?
Only a moral obligation. Legally only he has to make sure his details are correct not you. It was silly of you to check as now that you have checked you are morally compromised, the question really is can you clear this with your conscience?

Last edited:
Many of my friends are Christian and, as far as I know, all are pro-SSM.

Don't make the mistake of conflating nutjobs and evangelicals with the majority of Christians who practice love thy neighbour.

This is why its not worth trying to discuss this. If you have a different opinion you are an a-hole. Cue abuse. The modern left at its magnificent best Then cue strawman.
The only "strawman" is the argument from god line which is the only argument against SSM being raised.
How about you identify the straw man being touted by the left?

Of course the discussion is worthless if the obvious outcome clashes with your irrelevant, dogma driven "truth".
Regardless of the outcome of this "argument" or the soon to be "non-binding" YES vote in the mail poll disingenuously suggested by the religiously aligned Land beholden Liberal party...SSM will be a fact of life...long after your lot are dead rotting in your graves and waiting for your non- existent messiah.
The day can't come soon enough.

I know a priest of a church in Perths inner north who is a proud SSM supporter and would happily tell dickheads like Lyle where to shove his "christian" ideals
Idon't believe you. Not even a tiny bit. Basically you are lying to give the impression the Catholic church are not he main driver behind the no vote. Blatant lies are blatant.
I hope , if there is a God you go to hell.:thumbsu:Full of homos.

Any thinking on the wording on the plebishite?

Here's what I'm thinking,

Do you not not negatively believe that marriage should not be a disambiguation between man and woman in the opposite of affirmation as opposed to the diametrically held viewpoint?

So Sam Dastyari was sent a message today by a nice young man named Steve

Spoilered for language and general shitcampaigneredness

I think Steve may post in here..... lol ( but not lol )

Moral Dilemma.

I see no issue with you going over there and filling it out yourself. As this isnt a vote for SSM but for the right for the government to vote on it which holds no moral delimas, as thats their job.

Any thinking on the wording on the plebishite?

Here's what I'm thinking,

Do you not not negatively believe that marriage should not be a disambiguation between man and woman in the opposite of affirmation as opposed to the diametrically held viewpoint?
^^ Post of the thread nominee

:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back