Play Nice Marriage Equality - Now with poll

Should this thread be merged into the general discussion thread?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Jack Watts - it's ok to vote Jack

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been shocked at the hatred toward organizations who share the opinion that its not their place to give political opinions.

I don't see the hatred clearly living over seas. But once they start dipping their toes in this water then where do they stop? If euthanasia becomes a vote will the AFL step in and tell us how to vote? I just find it confusing that they support all religions as inclusive when the yes vote actively Flys in the face of some religious beliefs. It's have your cake and eat it too.

Tell me a religion that is pro racism & I'll answer your question.
Well the Old Testament, Torah and Quran all have inherently racist parts as you would expect as they were written in a time when societies were weren't multicultural if you didn't count the slaves and the stories are all about waring tribes. You could say this doesn't count but this is where most religious people are basing their beliefs against homosexuality on.

There are plenty of racist christian hate groups in the US, Colonial Australian's would of based their attempted genocide of Aboriginals on religious belief as well.

That's not the point though, the point is if it did go against a religion to be anti-racism is that a good enough reason not to do it. Of course not and the same applies for SSM.

I don't see the hatred clearly living over seas. But once they start dipping their toes in this water then where do they stop? If euthanasia becomes a vote will the AFL step in and tell us how to vote? I just find it confusing that they support all religions as inclusive when the yes vote actively Flys in the face of some religious beliefs. It's have your cake and eat it too.
Are there many players hiding their euthanasia in the league?
Anzac Day is political, pride game is political, indigenous round is political.

It's worrying that the afl simply say "yes" is taken by so many as "telling us how to vote"

Yeah, I must admit I'm over the AFL pushing their stance on every single friggin issue known to man. And I'm sure on marriage equality, there would be many within the AFL community who are strongly apposed to it. Every round has a theme now and I feel every time I go to the footy there is some cause we need to donate to or some issue they are raising awareness for. Its overkill.

Are there many players hiding their euthanasia in the league?
Anzac Day is political, pride game is political, indigenous round is political.

It's worrying that the afl simply say "yes" is taken by so many as "telling us how to vote"

Why do they need to even get involved mate? I agree the yes vote should win a landslide and I hope it does. But to me it sets a precedent of the AFL getting involved in s**t. I understand the argument that as a homosexual person you would feel welcomed with the support of the AFL but it clashes with certain religious beliefs who quite frankly I find disgusting. But the AFL will simply pick the more popular side then go to ground on the subject again until their themed round

Why do they need to even get involved mate? I agree the yes vote should win a landslide and I hope it does. But to me it sets a precedent of the AFL getting involved in s**t. I understand the argument that as a homosexual person you would feel welcomed with the support of the AFL but it clashes with certain religious beliefs who quite frankly I find disgusting. But the AFL will simply pick the more popular side then go to ground on the subject again until their themed round
You've basically made my argument for me? Would you rather that homosexual people feel unwelcome so that the "disgusting religious beliefs" feel welcome?

You've basically made my argument for me? Would you rather that homosexual people feel unwelcome so that the "disgusting religious beliefs" feel welcome?

No but next year someone will say something anti-religion and the AFL will tell us how important it is to tolerate all religion. They should just * off.

So the club should alienate all supporters/staff/players who vote no for religious reasons?
...or they could alienate all the supporters/staff/players who vote yes?

We live in a secular society. This isn't an argument about religious freedoms- it's about the law. Legalising same sex marriage doesn't criminalise heterosexual marriages: it just affords the same rights that heterosexual couples have for homosexual couples.

As far as our own club goes: we have openly gay players on our AFLW team; but we don't have religious fundamentalists? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But what if they are a celebrant and are asked to preside over a SS wedding? Can they refuse on religious grounds?
Of course they can refuse.

You can't get married in a Catholic church if you've already been divorced. You can't get married in a Jewish church if you're not Jewish.

Celebrants have the right to choose which marriages they preside over. This won't change with the SSM being legally recognised.
What about as a florist asked to provide arrangements?
What about as a baker asked to bake a rainbow wedding cake?
A DJ?
A venue hire?
These examples are ridiculous and do not reflect real life. But, since you ask: yes- a venue, dj, or florist can decline a job offer.
And good luck if they do.

...or they could alienate all the supporters/staff/players who vote yes?

We live in a secular society. This isn't an argument about religious freedoms- it's about the law. Legalising same sex marriage doesn't criminalise heterosexual marriages: it just affords the same rights that heterosexual couples have for homosexual couples.

As far as our own club goes: we have openly gay players on our AFLW team; but we don't have religious fundamentalists? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course they can refuse.

You can't get married in a Catholic church if you've already been divorced. You can't get married in a Jewish church if you're not Jewish.

Celebrants have the right to choose which marriages they preside over. This won't change with the SSM being legally recognised.
These examples are ridiculous and do not reflect real life. But, since you ask: yes- a venue, dj, or florist can decline a job offer.
And good luck if they do.

I don't think we should go one way or the other - let the supporters decide for themselves on a completely non-football related issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club should stand on the right side of history, which would also be in its best interests

Yes, because in a hundred years, people are going to look at the great social / political issues of our time and want to know where the football clubs stood.

It's a personal choice and it needs to remain specific to the individual. The AFL can still support the inclusion of homosexual players in our game by breaking down barriers to stereotyping, of which I am in total support, but it doesn't need to influence decisions to which individuals need to make themselves.

For the record I voted yes, and I'd really like Melbourne to just get 4 points every week rather than stressing about the yes vote!

No but next year someone will say something anti-religion and the AFL will tell us how important it is to tolerate all religion. They should just **** off.
Huh?

I don't see harm in including a minority that has historically been excluded for no reason.

As I said we have a pride game in my league, no one whinged about it, there was no backlash, we are also one of the first leagues with a publicly gay player.

The AFL holding one believe does not limit or intrude with others holding their own beliefs.

Yes, because in a hundred years, people are going to look at the great social / political issues of our time and want to know where the football clubs stood.
There's 1,700 organisations signed up to marriage equality campaign including 32 sporting clubs/bodies: Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and Sydney amongst them. There's clear benefits for clubs actively promoting equality and diversity.

Maybe no one will care in a hundred years but people care now.
I don't think we should go one way or the other - let the supporters decide for themselves on a completely non-football related issue.
Fair enough mate. I get this argument but I don't agree that organisations who support marriage equality are telling people how to vote.

What benefits are those?
Not looking like Carlton for one thing.

Also, we might discourage religious zealots joining the club, which is nice, because people who go to church are ******* boring and I don't get on with homophobes either.

You don't really think companies like ANZ, Combank, Qantas,Telstra, Google etc. haven't weighed up the benefits or not of signing their name to the equality campaign?

Collingwood went from a rabble to powerhouse in a decade- IMO part of the reason is their efforts to engage the wider community and commitment to corporate social responsibility/ the initiatives/programs they participated in.

At the very least, I don't see how taking a positive stand in this issue can hurt us.

This really needed it own thread on this board?

I'd suggest it falls into the category of 'general discussion' of the non footy type. I seem to recall a thread like that around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back