Mars Stadium Ballarat

BlueJet

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Ballarat should have made this a square ground and locked themselves in an A-League club.
Nah.:thumbsu:
Morshead Park has good facilities for soccer & kicking out North & the Rebels to build another soccer stadium would have been a strange move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aCunningPlan

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
I really don't get it. They ignore the beautiful old ground with the two classic grandstands – which would look quaint on TV – and build somewhere else. But the somewhere else they chose is an oval well out of town. What's the point? People are going to go once, realise it's a pain in the arse, and not bother. If you're able to get on a train by 9, be there by 10:30, have some lunch and wander around, be at the ground by 2, then home by 7 on a Saturday you'd do it. You're probably even going to have a countery or a few drinks after the game too.

Strange decision.
You seriously have no idea about Ballarat, city oval has no room for expansion, no parking, and is exactly the same distance from the train station as mars stadium. It would have been a horrible shortsighted mistake to develop City oval into an afl stadium. It is right in the middle of a strict heritage overlay and surrounded by residents that will not accept any changes.
Mars is a four minute drive from the centre of town with plenty of room for development.

Last edited:

gobillino

Draftee
Nov 6, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
You seriously have no idea about Ballarat, city oval has no room for expansion, no parking, and is exactly the same distance from the train station as mars stadium. It would have been a horrible shortsighted mistake to develop City oval into an afl stadium. It is right in the middle of a strict heritage overlay and surrounded by residents that will not accept any changes.
Mars is a four minute drive from the centre of town with plenty of room for development.
Plus long term capacity for a potential events or 'Ballarat metro' station serving the stadium on the Maryborough train line

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I really don't get it. They ignore the beautiful old ground with the two classic grandstands – which would look quaint on TV – and build somewhere else. But the somewhere else they chose is an oval well out of town. What's the point? People are going to go once, realise it's a pain in the arse, and not bother. If you're able to get on a train by 9, be there by 10:30, have some lunch and wander around, be at the ground by 2, then home by 7 on a Saturday you'd do it. You're probably even going to have a countery or a few drinks after the game too.

Strange decision.
The city oval has only one stand and only limited capacity for expansion. It is in a heavily heritage overlayed area and is surrounded by protected trees. There is no potential to divert trains up there and parking is constrained as it is a heavily residential area. The Eureka Stadium site was chosen because it offered the best compromise of available council owned land with significant room for expansion and joining into the wider sports hub which is presently being developed around it. Only today the State government anounced that they are investing a further $5.2 million into sports facilities adjacent to the stadium and will provide funding for a further $6.6 million to address some of the shortcomings of Eureka Stadium which will include:
  • Additional accessible seating in the Western and Eastern stands.
  • Upgraded entrances with new ticket boxes.
  • Covered areas to make it easier and more comfortable for fans to enter the ground.
  • Permanent bathrooms to replace temporary toilets on match days.
  • Improved standing areas.
  • Permanent food and beverage areas.
Of course $6.6 million isn't much in the scheme of things, but it is no doubt the next installment of what will be followed by others. The immediate priority is about enhancing Stage 1 and making the game day experience better for everybody.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
A new view of Mars under lights:
These views give you an idea of what 300 lux lighting looks like. Good enough for night play but definitely not TV standard. Still, quite pretty and interestingly you can see the difference between the regular lighting and the more natural LED lighting effect along the edge of the oval in front of the grandstand.

Below: Looking South West from the front of the North Ballarat Sports Club.

Looking North East from the Eureka Stand:

aCunningPlan

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
A new view of Mars under lights:
These views give you an idea of what 300 lux lighting looks like. Good enough for night play but definitely not TV standard. Still, quite pretty and interestingly you can see the difference between the regular lighting and the more natural LED lighting effect along the edge of the oval in front of the grandstand.

Below: Looking South West from the front of the North Ballarat Sports Club.

Looking North East from the Eureka Stand:
I was at the women's football grand final this year and the lighting was dreadful, pouring rain, by six we couldn't see a thing.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I was at the women's football grand final this year and the lighting was dreadful, pouring rain, by six we couldn't see a thing.
Not sure what the issue is with the lighting there. The lighting really went pear shaped at the AFL game in July when Ballarat weather turned on its worst. The rain really affected it despite the lighting being boosted by portable towers. That said to me the Mars Stadium lights seem to go dreadful around twillight and improve the darker it gets. But the lighting at the ground is definitely on the radar for the Council as a 'must fix'. I suspect that the issue lay in the fact that the lights are mounted back higher and further from the field than what they are at the other grounds. Further the existing Mars Stadium towers are supposed to generate around 5-600 lux if 36 lights are actually mounted in the towers, presently there are 20 lights per tower projected at the oval.

Last edited:

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
That said to me the Mars Stadium lights seem to go dreadful around twillight and improve the darker it gets.
That's my experience with all grounds. Natural sunlight, even on a grey day, is brighter in a different way to the lights and it feels darker as the lights take effect until the eyes and brain get used to it.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
That's my experience with all grounds. Natural sunlight, even on a grey day, is brighter in a different way to the lights and it feels darker as the lights take effect until the eyes and brain get used to it.
It's interesting because the video below was taken by a simple Drone camera and illustrates at about 35 seconds into the film how you get the dip in light clarity as you pass between lighting domains: ... I apologise for the loud music in advance, it was after all a corporate promotional video made by Skyline Drone Imaging.

Last edited:

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Ballarat should have made this a square ground and locked themselves in an A-League club.
They already have a rectangular facility in Redan that seats 500 and holds 6000 which is accompanied by three other all-weather pitches. A facility that had $14 million invested in 2014/15 to build it from the ground up ... perfect for football (soccer), rugby or hockey. :think:

Last edited:

Borussia Teeth

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man Utd, Seattle Seahawks, SA Spurs
They already have a rectangular facility in Redan that seats 500 and holds 6000 which is accompanied by three other all-weather pitches. A facility that had $14 million invested in 2014/15 to build it from the ground up ... perfect for football (soccer), rugby or hockey. :think:

That’s a great venue for Ballarat.
Loved playing football there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I have to say that the Western Bulldogs and AFL strategy of leapfrogging Melbourne's burgeoning Western Suburbs and using Ballarat which is established Aussie Rules and Soccer heartland as it's springboard to re-establish Aussie Rules as the dominant code is proving correct. This is evidenced by the recent awarding of the A League franchise to Western Melbourne and their building of a 15,000 seat ground in Western Melbourne.

There have been many in the Western Bulldogs supporter thread who have cast doubt on the strategy of Ballarat, yet they have failed to look at the demographics of the population of Western Melbourne. They have argued that the Bulldogs must invest their presence at Footscray and at Marvel Stadium. Such inward thinking would consign their club to the inner boundaries of Western Melbourne. I stated 12 months ago that the demographics of the new people flooding the city of Wyndham were not those who traditionally followed Aussie Rules. The Football Federation of Australia have just validated my claims and statements.

As the immigrant population continues to fill Melbourne's West, it will in time push Westward toward Ballarat. Ballarat as at today has a population of 105,914 and is the third largest inland city in Australia and likely to be the second largest after Canberra by 2040. It acts as a regional hub and capital in its own right as a centre of education, commerce, industry and health care. It acts as the epicentre of a regional population basin of 400,000 people.

It is therefore only reasonable to assume that future immigrant populations will fill Ballarat and therefore push for the growth of soccer, but if the AFL has already established an AFL dominance in the region by surrogating Ballarat as its Western frontier with a booming Western Bulldogs base of supporters by 2028, then it will be harder for Soccer to come in and attempt to capture youth markets outside Melbourne's boundaries in the future. The Bulldogs move into Ballarat so far since 2015 has resulted in some 4000 new members from the Ballarat region to the club and the way that the Bulldogs are targeting Ballarat's 30 primary schools, this should translate to 10-12,000 in 20 years time.

Therefore, the AFL have made their first pre-emptive strike at the westward Melbourne spread of Soccer by heading them off 105 km at Ballarat. Ballarat may indeed become the first real battle ground for the AFL to save its regional heartland in Victoria.

Last edited:

Prince Imperial

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is therefore only reasonable to assume that future immigrant populations will fill Ballarat and therefore push for the growth of soccer, but if the AFL has already established an AFL dominance in the region by surrogating Ballarat as its Western frontier with a booming Western Bulldogs base of supporters by 2028, then it will be harder for Soccer to come in and attempt to capture youth markets outside Melbourne's boundaries in the future. The Bulldogs move into Ballarat so far since 2015 has resulted in some 4000 new members from the Ballarat region to the club and the way that the Bulldogs are targeting Ballarat's 30 primary schools, this should translate to 10-12,000 in 20 years time.
What is your source for this figure of 4k new members from the Ballarat region? I would be very surprised with that number.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
What is your source for this figure of 4k new members from the Ballarat region? I would be very surprised with that number.
The figure is unofficial but talking with staff in the Western Bulldogs shop in Mair Street Ballarart recently. That figure does encompass from Ballarat out to a 40 km radius from its centre. The figure actually sounds about right because the Northern Tasmania region contributes about 9000 to Hawthorn's membership and North Melbourne quote 7000 from the Hobart area. So yes 4000 didn't raise my eyebrows considering that since the Bulldogs set up shop in Ballarat in 2015, the club had 32,000 members and by 2018 it had 45,000 members. The GF win in 2016 boosted their numbers to 48,000 in 2017 but they fell back a bit last year by a couple of thousand. Since 2015 the club has actively recruited members across Ballarat and its surrounding towns. Plus there's the pester power of the school kids who are being aggressively recruited into the Bulldogs fold.

Broken

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2003
No Fixed Address
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Redskins
The figure is unofficial but talking with staff in the Western Bulldogs shop in Mair Street Ballarart recently. That figure does encompass from Ballarat out to a 40 km radius from its centre. The figure actually sounds about right because the Northern Tasmania region contributes about 9000 to Hawthorn's membership and North Melbourne quote 7000 from the Hobart area. So yes 4000 didn't raise my eyebrows considering that since the Bulldogs set up shop in Ballarat in 2015, the club had 32,000 members and by 2018 it had 45,000 members. The GF win in 2016 boosted their numbers to 48,000 in 2017 but they fell back a bit last year by a couple of thousand. Since 2015 the club has actively recruited members across Ballarat and its surrounding towns. Plus there's the pester power of the school kids who are being aggressively recruited into the Bulldogs fold.
Saw a lot of kids wearing Bulldogs caps on a recent visit to Ballarat.

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
The Brain Washing has Started
I wouldn’t go so far as to call it brain washing. They are just trying to gain more followers in a (mostly) untapped market with nonteam to call their own.
I say mostly because North tried to get into Ballarat but I think they’re better off trying for Hobart.

BlueJet

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
I wouldn’t go so far as to call it brain washing. They are just trying to gain more followers in a (mostly) untapped market with nonteam to call their own.
I say mostly because North tried to get into Ballarat but I think they’re better off trying for Hobart.
Imo the Dogs are trying much harder to win the locals over than North ever did.

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
Weren’t North not allowed to play there or something similar?
On November 24, 2010 it was announced that North Melbourne were going to play up to four AFL home games in Ballarat in 2012 under a bold proposal put forward by Labor if re-elected. ($30 million into upgrading Eureka Stadium in Ballarat to AFL-standard. $25 million would be used to build a 15,000-seat boutique stadium and upgrade the playing surface.)

In November 2010, Brumby wasnt re-elected.

In December 2010, New Victorian premier Ted Baillieu said the Coalition government would not commit the $30 million pledged by Labor for the project, effectively scuppering any chance of a redevelopment at the venue.

On June 7, 2011, North announced they would play games in Hobart.

In 2014, Labor Opposition leader Daniel Andrews said Ballarat would host at least two Bulldogs premiership season games in Ballarat every year if Labor won the election.

Billy ray

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What's with "West Coast"?

Warrnambool is on the west coast.
nah, wont win that argument
its the AFL - A for Australia
Only one West Coast on the whole of Australia. That's where that team represents

IMHO - and I know supporters don't agree, should be West Melbourne (like we have a North Melbourne), or back to Footscray name - which I prefer.

Dogs till i die

Club Legend
Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
nah, wont win that argument
its the AFL - A for Australia
Only one West Coast on the whole of Australia. That's where that team represents

IMHO - and I know supporters don't agree, should be West Melbourne (like we have a North Melbourne), or back to Footscray name - which I prefer.
Lol, problem with your "A" argument is that the West Coast Eagles joined the VFL in 1987.

Not sure the good people of Ballarat would embrace a team named after a place name 65 miles away, particularly your first choice (WM). BTW I think Ballarat is a great long term strategy for the Bulldogs and hope we can harness it to grow our club.

Dogs supporters saying we should abandon it after 3 games is nonsense.

Top Bottom