Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

The board instability was directly related to the circumstances leading to the 2014 election promise to redevelop the ground in order to bring AFL home and away games to Eureka Stadium.

I would say a permanent lighting upgrade to broadcast level and scaffold stands during the games if I was a betting person. ;) Although there might be a very strong case for a permanent grandstand to be built on the Northern flank of the oval if North Melbourne are told by Tasmania that their services on behalf of Tourism Tasmania will no longer be sponsored by 2024 (If Tassie gets its own team). North Melbourne will be definitely looking for a new 2nd home. :)

I think that Bendigo would be the perfect fit.
Bendigo being north of Melbourne would be perfect for North and Ballarat being west of Melbourne is a perfect for Western Bulldogs. Hope both teams flourish playing in regional Australia.

That's a $25 million question. The Western Bulldogs are at this stage signed on in Ballarat to be reviewed again at the end of the 2024 season. I suspect that as long as the WBFC want to stay in Ballarat then they will stay there and won't want any competition from another AFL team. Technically North could bid for that place if for what ever reason the Dogs were to determine that they did not wish to continue with Ballarat after Season 2024. I imagine that it's unlikely that the Bulldogs would abandon Ballarat if the stadium was to be further upgraded in capacity and lighting leading to 2026. Effective broadcast standard lighting would change the whole dynamic at Mars Stadium because it would totally free up fixturing of games which are presently limited to Saturday and Sunday afternoons and this is a sticking point ATM for the WBFC. Night games would definitely offer flexibility for twilight and night fixturing thus broadening the stadium's potential threefold as well as offering live telecast games. Presently Channel 7 does not broadcast 1.30 pm Victorian fixtures and that affects the Bulldogs exposure much the same way that North presently misses out on national exposure being continually fixtured at twilight on Sundays.

Yes if North don't get a re-tenure in Tassie at some point in the future (for what ever reason) then they would likely chase another venue if one were available. It might be the chance for Bendigo or Shepparton to raise their hands. Shepparton already has a very good oval at its Deakin Reserve, while Bendigo's QEO would need some modernisation, it's still a very large capacity ground with a good surface that can accommodate up to 13,000 standing at present.

Deakin Reserve:

View attachment 1336837

QEO Bendigo:

View attachment 1336840

I've been to night games of rugby in Canberra, there's no way known I'd attend a night AFL game in the middle of winter in Ballarat.

Last edited:
Hot off the Press - The Ballarat Courier at 10 am today: APRIL 12 2022

Commonwealth Games Announced in Ballarat: Which sports Victorian cities will host​

Latest News

Premier Daniel Andrews making the announcement at Mars Stadium on Tuesday morning.

Premier Daniel Andrews making the announcement at Mars Stadium this morning.​

Ballarat has been confirmed to host the athletics events as part of the 2026 Commonwealth Games. After much speculation, the host cities for the Games were officially announced on Tuesday morning, with Ballarat to host the centrepiece track and field events. An initial 16 sports have been locked in, although there could be more sports locked in by the end of the year.

POTENTIAL: Ballarat could find the likes of middle distance running sensation Peter Bol, an Australian favourite from the Tokyo Olympics, in action at Mars Stadium. Picture: Ryan Pierse, Getty Images.

POTENTIAL: Ballarat could find the likes of middle distance running sensation Peter Bol, an Australian favourite from the Tokyo Olympics, in action at Mars Stadium. Picture: Ryan Pierse, Getty Images.​

Swimming, athletics, lawn bowls, table tennis and triathlon will host Para sports, while powerlifting will also be included. Four major sports hubs will be established in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Gippsland, with Shepparton also expected to host some events.
The current selection of sports is set to be divided as such:
  • BALLARAT: Athletics, boxing, T20 cricket
  • BENDIGO: Lawn bowls, netball, squash, weightlifting, powerlifting, T20 cricket, final of cycling road race
  • GEELONG: Swimming, diving, volleyball, gymnastics, hockey, table tennis, triathlon, T20 cricket
  • GIPPSLAND: Badminton, rugby sevens, T20 cricket, start of cycling road race
  • MELBOURNE: Opening ceremony only.
The state government says the Games will contribute more than $3 billion to the Victorian economy, creating more than 600 full time jobs in the build-up, 3,900 during the Games and 3,000 jobs beyond the closing ceremony. "It's a great honour to have Victoria chosen as the host venue for the 2026 Commonwealth Games - we can't wait to welcome the world to all of our state," Premier Daniel Andrews said.

This will be the sixth time that Australia has staged the Commonwealth Games. Commonwealth Games Federation president Dame Louise Martin lauded the work done for regional Victoria to receive the events. "The Commonwealth Games Federation is absolutely delighted to award the 2026 Commonwealth Games to Victoria," she said. "Commonwealth Games Australia and the Victorian Government have set out a bold and innovative vision that provides an exciting new blueprint for hosting our major multi-sport event." Besides Melbourne 2006, in Australia they have been staged in Sydney in 1938, Perth 1962, Brisbane 1982 and the Gold Coast in 2018.

RELATED

Love this, perfect timing for my family and I as we transition to Ballarat this year.

I've been to night games of rugby in Canberra, there's no way known I'd attend a night AFL game in the middle of winter in Ballarat.
It's usually less windy at night. I live in Geelong and it's just as frigid and drizzly here in Winter as Ballarat. The conditions at Mars Stadium are really no different on a given day to GMHBA Stadium except that the new stands at GMHBA block out a lot of the wind these days. I honestly don't know why people bang on about Ballarat's weather? Footy's a Winter game, what do people expect? Wear a warm coat, your club scarf, a beenie and some gloves. You get a couple of beers (Mars Stadium has full strength beer in cans) or a hot coffee and some hot food into your tummy and you're happy as a fat spider. ;)

Last edited:
It's usually less windy at night. I live in Geelong and it's just as frigid and drizzly here in Winter as Ballarat. The conditions at Mars Stadium are really no different on a given day to GMHBA Stadium except that the new stands at GMHBA block out a lot of the wind these days. I honestly don't know why people bang on about Ballarat's weather? Footy's a Winter game, what do people expect? Wear a warm coat, your club scarf, a beenie and some gloves. You get a few beers (Mars Stadium has full strength beer in cans) and some hot food into your tummy and you're happy as a fat spider. ;)

Sound like a local? I'm there for the game Saturday. Anywhere recommendations for dinner afterwards?

Sound like a local? I'm there for the game Saturday. Anywhere recommendations for dinner afterwards?
Honestly, any pub in Ballarat generally does great meals. I've never had a bad meal at either the Black Hill or the Robin Hood (Both in Peel Street). The North Ballarat Sports Club at Mars Stadium does pretty good meals. The Chinese restaurants in Ballarat are all very good in terms of the food quality. Irish Murphy's in Sturt Street does great meals, friendly service and has a real intimate feel. My old favourite was the Pancake kitchen which did nice pancake meals and wonderful pancake and crepe based deserts. There's also a good array of craft breweries and wine bars around the city.

Honestly, any pub in Ballarat generally does great meals. I've never had a bad meal at either the Black Hill or the Robin Hood (Both in Peel Street). The North Ballarat Sports Club at Mars Stadium does pretty good meals. The Chinese restaurants in Ballarat are all very good in terms of the food quality. Irish Murphy's in Sturt Street does great meals, friendly service and has a real intimate feel. My old favourite was the Pancake kitchen which did nice pancake meals and wonderful pancake and crepe based deserts. There's also a good array of craft breweries and wine bars around the city.
This post should be pinned for all visiting supporters going to games at Eureka.

Love this, perfect timing for my family and I as we transition to Ballarat this year.
The Herne Hill hammer not in Herne Hill soon? I’m a 20 resident of Herne Hill who just had a good day at the footy today in Ballarat today. The result could have made it better. The ground looked a treat. I’ve been there many times and this was easily the warmest. I was there the infamous Port Adelaide Sunday night finish in the dark and sun-zero conditions. T-shirts all day. Good banter with some great crows fans that was all good natured and how it should be. A good friendly atmosphere. When we hit the lead in the last quarter the place was rocking. An easy run up the highway from Herne Hill.

The Herne Hill hammer not in Herne Hill soon? I’m a 20 resident of Herne Hill who just had a good day at the footy today in Ballarat today. The result could have made it better. The ground looked a treat. I’ve been there many times and this was easily the warmest. I was there the infamous Port Adelaide Sunday night finish in the dark and sun-zero conditions. T-shirts all day. Good banter with some great crows fans that was all good natured and how it should be. A good friendly atmosphere. When we hit the lead in the last quarter the place was rocking. An easy run up the highway from Herne Hill.

I lived in Herne Hill from 2006 until 2011, and them moved to WA (there is a Herne Hill in WA too) my brother still lives there, I stay with him during the week and commute to work in Ballarat. I will relocate to Ballarat as soon as I can find a place and my family will follow at the end of the school year. A lot of km's to be driven between now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All true and good advice.
I’d also add there’s several dining options in town on Armstrong Street, between Mair and Sturt streets. As well as a few bars within walking distance around there for later in the evening.
If driving back to Melbourne, the Wallace hotel is well worth visiting.

A good high resolution image below shows the extent of Mars Stadium's development as at April 2022. Consider that in 4 years time that it will all look very different and it will be interesting to contrast the images: Click on image to expand.

View attachment 1386662

Hopefully they eventually extend that grandstand on the wing right around to near the new toilet block is behind the goals where the scoreboard is

I've posted this image on another discussion group, but this is what I reckon is most likely to happen at Mars Stadium. It would fit the requested budget (of $53-55 million) from the Ballarat Council and tick all of the boxes with what they ultimately want. It's not an official image by any means, just my playing around doing some amateur drawing.

If we consider that the final bill for building the current 5000 seats was $15.1 million we might assume that to add another 10,000 seats using the existing architecture design would cost around $40 million accounting for price and labour increases since 2016. There would be about $1 million to conduct demolition and site clearance of some existing structures. Another $3.5 million for new lights. The cost of installing a new athletics track $1.2 million. The cost of demolishing and clearing the old Showgrounds $1 million and construction of a new permanent athletics track and pavilion $2.6 million and the installation of 1250 carparks at the John Valves site and adjacent to the new athletics centre another $2.5 million. The remainder would be spent on the erection of a temporary 10,000 capacity scaffold stand and then you are coming pretty damn close to spending $55 million.

View attachment 1393337

That money is separate from what would also need to be spent duplicating 800m of Creswick Road if its only duplicated between Howitt and Norman Streets. Triple that figure if they decide to duplicate the road 1.7 km from Norman Street out to the Western Freeway. The other unknown at this stage is what it would cost to build a train station near Norman Street? But if all of these things are built as I suggest that they may be, then you are looking at a very different area in four years time.

Surely they won’t knock down the sports club it looks not that old?

On the train station you wouldn’t need much just an unmanned platform with a couple of seats.. something like deer park station

Will be interesting what they do though considering they’ve already invested a lot of money into the venue upgrading it they’ll want to think long term use and surrounds after the CG

Mars Stadium 3 days ago - Click on image to see detailed view. As you can see, the Sports Club is nothing special from a design point of view, but it is well equipped for what it is and offers a great view across the oval from the bistro:

View attachment 1400812

Build it & they will come ?

A video highlighting updates at Mars Stadium this year. Of course these latest upgrades were part of last the State Election promises and thus the recent release of this video should in no way be construed as "official" government electioneering material leading up to the forthcoming State election, should it? I mean, what government in Australia has ever done that before? :think:

Last edited:
I drove down for the Western Bulldogs v Adelaide 1 point upset in April -

Even though it was a nice day in Melbourne when I left, I packed for cold - I wore jeans, and had a jacket and the like

When I got to the ground, I left my jacket in the car - Sitting in the outer during the first qtr I cooked like a roast chicken in the sun - I think lots of people were in my predicament - At qtr time went for a wander for the bar and found two mates who were behind the goals under the trees - Stayed there for the rest of the game - Couldn't see the entire game but atleast I wasn't cooking in the sun haha

Some kind of shade in the outer would have been ideal, but then again, it's probably not normally that warm and sunny there?

Besides that it was a nice ground and a great result to boot

Last edited:
I drove down for the Western Bulldogs v Adelaide 1 point upset in April -

Even though it was a nice day in Melbourne when I left, I packed for cold - I wore jeans, and had a jacket and the like

When I got to the ground, I left my jacket in the car - Sitting in the outer during the first qtr I cooked like a roast chicken in the sun - I think lots of people were in my predicament - At qtr time went for a wander for the bar and found two mates who were behind the goals under the trees - Stayed there for the rest of the game - Couldn't see the entire game but atleast I wasn't cooking in the sun haha

Some kind of shade in the outer would have been ideal, but then again, it's probably not normally that warm and sunny there?

Besides that it was a nice ground and a great result to boot
Given that it was 23 degrees that day which is normal for that time of the year and the angle that the afternoon sun hits the main hill, a roof over it wouldn't make any difference for people in the forward area anyway. If the Ballarat Council have any say in it then it's likely that the North Eastern seats and hill will get replaced by a large permanent grandstand for the Comm Games. One thing is for certain, it will be a very different place by season 2026.

Ballarat's Eureka Stadium: From windy paddock to world-class ground

Melanie Whelan

By Melanie Whelan
Ballarat Courier - 26 Dec 22

As far back as 1993, this has always been about far more than football, even though an AFL vision helped get Ballarat this far. Within four years Ballarat will have one of the best sporting precincts in regional Australia and a key chance to showcase this city. Other major regional hubs, most notably Geelong, certainly boast bigger stadiums - but by 2026 and into 2027 Ballarat's Eureka sporting precinct will have a transformed, modern outdoor all purpose stadium alongside its existing international-class indoor stadium further complimented by an elite new athletics competition track. These will be surrounded by first class community facilities both existing and planned for longer term development.

NBFC1.jpg
Above: Humble beginnings - North Ballarat FC Social Club sits aside the old Showgrounds harness racing track in 1963. The club's playing oval was in the centre of that track until 1989. It is remembered as being a cyclonic mud pit. No team could work out how to play on it except North Ballarat. North Ballarat Oval was despised by players and supporters of opposing teams, and barely tolerated by the most ardent North Ballarat supporters.
NBFC2.jpg
Above: The view of the original North Ballarat FC club rooms from Creswick Road (circa 1964)​

The chance to host major sporting and entertainment events has long been touted as a key reason driving campaigners for stadium development at Northern Oval Number One. Bringing AFL in-season games to Ballarat was a long-held dream finally realised in 2017. But hosting the Commonwealth Games' headline act, the track and field program, on what was once the most notoriously windy ground in Ballarat was beyond anybody's imagination.

After several months of speculation, Premier Daniel Andrews finally announced the 2026 Commonwealth Games for regional Victoria with the windy ground as it's epicentre. The road to where Mars Stadium sits today and its fast-approaching next stages has relied on community support each step of the way, city leaders say. In 2011 The Courier finally launched its "Think Big Ballarat" campaign with homegrown products Nathan Brown, a Collingwood premiership player, and Drew Petrie, North Melbourne's vice-captain, proud on the front page. This was a political football being bounced about a year after Victorian Premier John Brumby lost the state election by one seat and his election promise of a $30 million transformational for Eureka Stadium buried with his defeat.

Really, foundations were laid in a bingo hall in Wendouree.​

We need to go back as far as 1976 when the story goes that Ken Eyres, a man known as the Godfather of Ballarat, would start to realise the potential for what could be possible in trips with mates to Adelaide where football was followed with food, drinks, music and bingo. Mr Eyres learned from then-North Ballarat MLA Tom Evans that gambling and bingo would be legalised in Victoria. In 1977, Mr Eyers secured a bingo licence to raise money for North Ballarat Football Club, with weekly bingo sessions held firstly at the old Municipal Hall in Wendouree and expanding to help fund vital infrastructure in major sporting sites across the city.

Bingo not only helped to build North Ballarat Sports Club as we know it today, but also the nearby table tennis and badminton centres in Wendouree, and Ballarat Football League headquarters (Saxon House) at the City Oval. Funds also boosted other sporting clubs willing to do the work, and help run the bingo hall. Mr Eyres was also a key driver in North Ballarat's push to enter the Victorian Football League in 1996, a move he felt would one day help land AFL in Ballarat.

AFL talk was brewing well before the Roosters joined the state league.​

At half-time during the television broadcast of the 1993 Ballarat Football League grand final at the City Oval - a pre-recorded package canvassed "keen" Ballarat people on what securing an AFL team for the city would mean. Peter Wilson, then a Ballarat AFL syndicate member, said Ballarat needed something like this to "kick it along further as a community" but such a push needed support from all levels of community. "I think most Ballarat people recognise that having an AFL team playing in Ballarat would give impetus to the community," Mr Wilson said at the time.

r0_135_1515_987_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Above: The North Ballarat Social Club at WBFC vs NMFC 2011​

Almost 10 years later in 2002, Tony Frawley stood with Mr Eyres at Northern Oval spruiking a "grand dream": Upgrade plans for a 3000-seat standalone grand stand and 10,000-fan capacity, expanded change rooms, statistician facilities and a visitors' coaching box to keep Ballarat competitive. At the time Mr Frawley (North Ballarat's general manager) pointed to Launceston, Cairns, Newcastle and Wollongong's outdoor arenas and questioned "why not Ballarat?" "We had just built the new function room at the North Ballarat club rooms that year and had spent a lot of money on facilities. We wanted pre-season AFL matches and one day, hopefully, AFL matches for points," Mr Frawley, who now lives on the Sunshine Coast, told The Courier this week. "Eighteen months ago I travelled back to Ballarat and had a look, the new grandstand's there now and there were other new amenities under construction ... I was thrilled. It way exceeded my expectations."

Looking wider than sport​

The Commonwealth Games will increase seating 10-fold from what Mr Eyres and Frawley were championing back in 2002 - albeit with 18,000 of those to be seated in 2026 in temporary structures. Former Mayor Judy Verlin said permanent structures are vital in going forward for events in this city. Ms Verlin, also a former Committee for Ballarat chairmanager, was Mayor when the push to bring AFL started to gain state government traction. She first realised the stadium's potential for this city during a conversation with AFL legend Kevin Sheedy who encouraged to build it and "they will come".

r0_0_1543_1114_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

North Melbourne's CEO Eugene Arocca with Mayor Judy Verlin 2010
"We had a lot of faith in that ... There was a huge number of people who were working behind the scenes. The whole precinct, it taking off to one day become a sporting Mecca and that's what was always envisaged - one thing feeding off another and growing." In a trip to Canberra, Ms Verlin saw Canberra's Manuka Oval which further reinforced in her mind the next steps for Ballarat at the time. Ms Verlin reminisced that during her mayoral tenure, Lake Wendouree was dry amid the millennium drought. She doubted anyone could have conceived that 12 years later, Ballarat would co-host a Commonwealth Games. "As a city, we have a suite of entertainment, food and beverage options, Sovereign Hill and other great attractions," Ms Verlin said. "When people come to Ballarat for sport, they can stay a number of days and discover a whole lot of depth to this city. We need to look wider than just sport. Tourism is a key part of that."

r0_0_2240_1488_w2240_h1488_fmax.jpg

Lake Wendouree during the Millennium Drought

r0_0_2100_1050_w2100_h1050_fmax.jpg

The question "why?"​

Gerard FitzGerald (North Ballarat's Triple VFL premiership coach 2008, 2009 and 2010) bumps into people across Western Victoria, especially those in Warrnambool and Hamilton, who tell him how much they love Ballarat's Eureka Stadium. What he often hears is that was their first AFL game, or the first in a long time, because Ballarat allows them easier access without the added travel, cost and logistical stress off getting to Melbourne games. Gerald said that he would have hardly believed it, even 10 years ago, if someone had told him that the windy Northern Oval would host Commonwealth Games track and field.

He vividly remembered when John Brumby lost the 2010 state election, less than two months after the Roosters' third-straight VFL flag, and realising the stadium would remain a windy place to coach for a while longer. Mr Brumby had made a late play with a $30 million pledge to make Eureka Stadium the second home for AFL club North Melbourne, which at the time held a playing alliance with the Roosters. Proposed upgrades were to bring the stadium up to AFL standard with resurfacing, new coaching boxes and cater to 15,000 spectators. Included in the pledge was $5 million to further develop a major events precinct. Mr FitzGerald said what truly helped launch Ballarat onto the state agenda was Committee for Ballarat making the precinct development a priority and strongly advocating the benefits.

r0_0_863_466_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

2007 - Drought proofing works at Wendouree Oval (Right) and a green drought-proofed Northern Oval Number One (Left)​

The question "why?" would crop up a lot in the community. Mr FitzGerald said there was a lingering sense of people questioning the need when Melbourne's top sporting facilities and stadiums were an hour or so away by car. For all the "paddock that grew" photos of the MCG and Geelong's Kardinia Park stadium taking shape, Mr FitzGerald said a football trip to Launceston inspired him the most. Flying into Launceston in 2002, the Roosters had a VFL match against "Tassie Tigers" which were part of the VFL at the time. The $6.4m first phase of the York Park redevelopment had taken place - a two-level 2500 capacity grandstand.

At the time there was significant talk in Australian sporting circles about an Australian bid for the World Soccer Cup. If it had come off then there was definitely going to be a need for another Victorian AFL stadium with the MCG and Docklands earmarked for the bid. Mr FitzGerald said that in 2002 Ballarat's population was similar in size to Launceston's. "Ballarat has significantly outgrown Launceston since, and while Ballarat might not have the same airport infrastructure, for Launceston it's airport is an essential lifeline to the mainland. Where as Ballarat has convenient, excellent rail and road links to the Capital. At the time I advocated that a stadium would be a good fit for the city. I remember speaking publicly later on the topic of why we would want a large and modern sports stadium in Ballarat," Mr FitzGerald said. "I remember as a boy boarding at St Pats College during the mid 1960s and the idea of converting some old diggings in Golden Point into an international tourism venue was being tossed about around Ballarat. The idea at the time had its detractors and nay-sayers who declared that it would never work, and why the hell would people drive the old highway two hours from Melbourne to Ballarat?" Now we've got Sovereign Hill. "You can look at the growth and development of the School of Mines from a technical school into a TAFE and at how it evolved as the Science and Engineering faculty of the University of Ballarat and now Federation University. Look at the Ballarat Base Hospital redevelopment underway. By 2027 Ballarat will have a hospital with diagnose and treatment facilities equal to any in Melbourne. This city has had visionary people in education, health and tourism. What legacy can sport have? There's vision in that whole sporting precinct, even for cricket to shift to the Northern number two oval - and it's a great oval - and now that the showgrounds are finally moving in 2023, it will unlock the full sporting potential of the zone."

Thinking bigger in Ballarat​

Mr Brumby's state election loss did not extinguish the city's stadium potential. Daniel Andrews, as opposition leader, flagged in 2013 to Ballarat community leaders he would be prepared to re-visit the AFL Stadium project but with a stronger focus beyond sport. The Courier's "Think Big Ballarat" campaign had been well underway and evolving, calling on whole of community support. A 2011 editorial stated: "It is good for footy, for tourism, for business and for jobs. But this is also about community; about grass roots footy having a hub; about a place for students to train and learn, an area to encourage exercise and health in our youth. A place to help shape wellness."

r0_0_1666_2362_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Drew Petrie, who was a key face for the campaign, said that thinking back to where we were 11 years ago, the Commonwealth Games announcement "goes to vindicate the financial investment, and the commitment of individuals and groups into all of these [Eureka Sports Precinct] venues". Alongside Eureka Stadium is the $29.5 million Ballarat Sports Events Centre redevelopment that houses eight community courts, including a 3000-seat show court arena, educational centres, outdoor 3x3 courts and a dedicated strength and conditioning gym. The show arena will host boxing during the 2026 Commonwealth Games. BSEC, now commercially named as Selkirk Stadium, opened in July 2019 and has already attracted national sporting events along with expanded grassroots tournaments complimenting the older Minerdome nearby.

Mr Petrie is now based in Perth as an assistant coach with the West Coast Eagles. He could still hardly believe the transformation to the precinct, in particular Eureka Stadium, whenever he made the trip home. "The venue is really impressive and I think more broadly for Ballarat it's important, as a regional city it produces a lot of great youth and senior athletes and I think the Commonwealth Games is a testament to that ... I had the opportunity when I played for North Melbourne, and we were aligned to North Ballarat, to play at the stadium and I always loved it. We'd have community camps and visited schools and community centres. I got to see a lot of the town and surrounding country towns and it's important for these towns too."

The key turning point​

The major step forward came in November 2014 - only with Western Bulldogs, not North Melbourne - part of the proposal to overhaul not only Eureka Stadium but the precinct. Daniel Andrews promised $31.5 million and two AFL games each year, from 2017, should Labor win the election. Included in this was $9 million to help deliver BSEC stage one and $2.5 million for the redevelopment of the the Lake Wendouree Football, Netball and Cricket Club Pavilion at the adjoining CE Brown Reserve.

es-4-min.jpg

Above: April 2016 - The post 1990 North Ballarat FNC Social Club after the reconstruction of both North Ballarat Ovals 1 and 2 in preparation for construction of the Stage 1 grandstand and development as an AFL venue.​

Key to negotiations was then-Wendouree MP Sharon Knight who said while the upgrades were to an AFL and AFLW standard, this was always to be about so much more. Ms Knight said it was meant to be an asset to attract events and be a source of pride for Ballarat. She was pleased the stadium had become an important landmark within a few short years. "Right now, with the Commonwealth Games looming, it is really coming into its own. A professional place for athletes, a comfortable and safe place for locals and guests to witness events, and a beautiful, incredible backdrop that will be beamed out across the world," Ms Knight said. "The idea of the stadium was also importantly about local business and groups. It bought together community groups in sport, arts and business to talk about how attracting the AFL and other events would be beneficial to everyone: Come to the footy and then go to the gallery, stay in local accommodation and eat at local restaurants. I do feel a quiet sense of pride whenever I go past the stadium. It was a lot of hard work by a lot of people, and I feel a strong sense of gratitude to everyone involved. There was a lot of convincing to be done and there were times when it felt impossible. Looking at the stadium to where it has developed now from what it started as and seeing its potential to put Ballarat on a world stage - well, it was worth all the work."

Mars Stadium Events Precinct and Lake Aerial.jpg
Evolution as at March 2022, and it will look vastly different again by 2027​

Labor injected a further $11 million into the precinct leading into the 2018 state election, including a further $6.6 million for Eureka Stadium, predominantly in making it more fit-for-purpose with ticket booths, toilets and catering facilities. City of Ballarat mayor Des Hudson's first Mayoral tenure featured Western Bulldogs' 2016 AFL premiership win and the growing potential for what was coming Ballarat's way. He is now preparing the city for another major piece of sporting history that might still seem hard to grasp. "Once the shovels go in the ground again, when the infrastructure is happening, we will know the Commonwealth Games is coming," Cr Hudson said. "Everyone will be talking about it, there will be excitement and a buzz. What we will then see is a real precinct approach that will be pretty significant for Ballarat and we should be proud as a city ... it will be a real sense of achievement well earned."

Last edited:
News from the Rat:

300x150-fullcolour-VIC_BAL_PBA.jpg

Behind the scenes planning is underway for Ballarat’s promised Comm Games infrastructure​

October 6, 2023 3:54 pm

A Ballarat councilor has revealed that planning for local infrastructure promised for the failed Commonwealth Games is now progressing again behind the scenes.

When the games were cancelled in July, then Premier Daniel Andrews stated that Ballarat would still get 5000 extra seats at Mars Stadium and a new athletics facility at the soon to be closed and re-located Creswick Road Showgrounds amongst other promises.

Cr Peter Eddy says he believes they’ll still be working towards a 2026 deadline given it aligns with the next state election. “It’s pleasing that in the information coming to council this week that government departments are re-engaging with our community and with council officers.”

“They are also starting to timeline and get back towards thinking about the projects that are committed,” Cr. Eddy said.

Other commitments include a multi-sports facility at Miners Rest, $50m of accessibility and restoration works at the Ballarat train station and upgrades to Selkirk Stadium.

Mountain bike tracks will also be completed in Creswick.

Last edited:
News from the Rat:

300x150-fullcolour-VIC_BAL_PBA.jpg

Behind the scenes planning is underway for Ballarat’s promised Comm Games infrastructure​

October 6, 2023 3:54 pm

A Ballarat councilor has revealed that planning for local infrastructure promised for the failed Commonwealth Games is now progressing again behind the scenes.

When the games were cancelled in July, then Premier Daniel Andrews stated that Ballarat would still get 5000 extra seats at Mars Stadium and a new athletics facility at the soon to be closed and re-located Creswick Road Showgrounds amongst other promises.

Cr Peter Eddy says he believes they’ll still be working towards a 2026 deadline given it aligns with the next state election. “It’s pleasing that in the information coming to council this week that government departments are re-engaging with our community and with council officers.”

“They are also starting to timeline and get back towards thinking about the projects that are committed,” Cr. Eddy said.

Other commitments include a multi-sports facility at Miners Rest, $50m of accessibility and restoration works at the Ballarat train station and upgrades to Selkirk Stadium.

Mountain bike tracks will also be completed in Creswick.

Is it in the Premiers electorate ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back