Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's incredible timing that the first bulldogs game is the year after they broke their premiership drought and are a bit flavour of the month at the moment.

If the Ballarat thing is a long term plan, then we have to put that coincidence behind us and look forward for the next couple of decades.

If it's a massive lock out for the first game, so be it.

A pretty cool panoramic sweep of the ground posted yesterday onto Facebook by one of the builders. Just click on the link and you can scan and zoom around the ground:

C48kqu5UkAAMKjT.jpg:large

What happened to rooblu?

Well thanks for picking up where he left off. I enjoyed his detailed accounts of the building and fair minded responses to posts attacking the whole AFL in Ballarat issue. His view was that however long the bulldogs association lasts and whatever it's motivation, Ballarat will end up with a great piece of infrastructure.
I hope you can keep the construction updates and general views coming.

Lets hope the new facility has emergency power:
Underscoring the parlous state of the nation's power grid, it was a case of Ballarat and Bendigo losing electricity or maintaining supplies to the most populous state.
..... experts believe may be the first instance of electricity "pain sharing" across state boundaries.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/e...-pushed-nsw-to-the-brink-20170222-guigsd.html
Probably wont be an issue for a footy ground considering electricity needs are higher during extreme heat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just realised the North Ballarat supporters on this thread have conveniently forgotten to add this all important piece of information to the discussion.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4461198/city-of-ballarat-takes-over-eureka-precinct/

City of Ballarat compulsory acquires freehold title at Eureka Stadium sports club
Brendan Wrigley
10 Feb 2017, 8:28 p.m.

The City of Ballarat has provided its sternest warning yet over the ongoing North Ballarat Sports Club saga by announcing the compulsory acquisition of the freehold title of the Eureka Stadium sports club.

The city’s mayor and chief executive also left the door open for another organisation to take control of the facility and field a team in the VFL if the North Ballarat board looked to exit the state competition.

While the ground and parts of the underground change rooms were previously on crown land, the remainder of the precinct including the gaming and dining rooms and the car park were on the freehold title held by the club.

Mayor Samantha Mclntosh said it was crucial council had full access to the facility for the upcoming AFL game in August and said council did not have confidence in the current board to manage the site.

“We don't and haven’t ever contemplated taking over the club or the business,” Cr Mclntosh said. “But there's been extensive public money go into the facility and it's important that we are able to manage that appropriately.”

The move comes ahead of the club’s annual general meeting on February 21 where the new board will be unveiled.

After the withdrawal of former chairman Peter Wilson’s ticket earlier this month, a new board will be sworn in unopposed.

City of Ballarat chief executive officer Justine Linley said the new board would have to meet a number of requirements in order to secure the lease to the facility, one of which was field a VFL team.

She said handing control of the facility to another organisation willing to field a VFL team “would have to be an option” if North Ballarat pulled out.

“One of the stipulations council will be applying is that council has confidence in whoever takes on that lease once we own the facility,” Ms Linley said.

“They need to be able to field a VFL team and they need to be able to provide access to the facility.”

North Ballarat chief executive Bill Mundy said he understood the council’s reasons for acquiring the facility and looked forward to working with them during the takeover.

Drove past a week or so ago when going to see my olds with the kids...

She's a very different looking Northern Oval to when we used to take a ute in the night before the Central Highlands granny in the mid 2000s!!

What are the ground dimensions for the Oval? It looks a fair size.
According to Wiki
‎159.5m x 128.8m

From experience going there as a younger fella... it is huge

Geez, I'd hate to be sitting beside one of the concrete entries. Look how much higher they are than the seats. You won't be able to see half the ground. Wouldn't that be one of the basics of building a stand? I know they had a piss poor budget to work with, but there's no excuse for that.

I'm all for a stadium here in Ballarat, but stuffin hell, do it properly if you're gonna do it.

Did they add the words "Port Adelaide" to the Power logo? Or pull an older version? IIRC it went from "Port Power" to just "Power", never "Port Adelaide"...but why did they need to edit the logo (assuming that's what they did)?

I wondered about that myself. If you check out video update 10 in my post below, you will see about 35 seconds into the video, a seat being installed and the fella doing the installation checking for that. It seems, no problems. Although, on a windy Ballarat day you might be grateful for any cover that you can get

It looks touch and go. I'm worried about kids not being able to see. It'll be to meet the deemed-to-satisfy provisions for health and safety, but the standard industry practice is to finish the concrete near the FFL, then have steel bars for safety. Still meets the deemed-to-satisfy requirements and you can at least see around them. They do that at the MCG and Etihad on the upper tiers anyway.

Maybe over time other teams can play a home game at eureka ? Like north, Geelong, st Kilda ? Also will they change the name from Eureka stadium to a sponsored name? Could then refer to the area as eureka park or sporting precinct like Kardinia park
Geelong will surely not be playing any home games in Ballarat after doing up KP.

Geelong will surely not be playing any home games in Ballarat after doing up KP.
And I also think to myself, we have this nice boutique 36,000 seat stadium on the outskirts of western Melbourne, the heartland of the bulldogs, and yet the government spends money upgrading another stadium to AFL quality?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back