Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
It's $225 million for Etihad; a stadium the AFL owns lock, stock and barrel.
For the docklands precinct, I doubt any of that cash will be spent inside the stadium, most of it will be buying the channel 7 land no doubt so that hotel can be built on the waterfront side of the stadium.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its also 20 years of guaranteed access for other sporting events, which means the Government doesnt have to worry about playing catch up in the major events space with NSW and other states, giving the Government two stadiums capable of hosting pretty much anything it needs if the time arises.

Great for the Vic Govt BUT the AFL? Backroom sweetheart deal to benefit the encumbents at what cost to the national game?

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Roogal

I see your profile indicates your support for the North Ballarat Roosters. They, along with the associated Sports Club, are still very unhappy with how they've been treated in this whole saga.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Great for the Vic Govt BUT the AFL? Backroom sweetheart deal to benefit the encumbents at what cost to the national game?

Etihad Stadium is owned jointly by the AFL Clubs and its upgrade is being paid for by the Victorian Government (read taxpayers). Essentially taxes paid by all Victorians, including me, are benefiting both WCE and Freo and all other non-Vic AFL clubs so not sure how its a "cost to the National game"?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Etihad Stadium is owned jointly by the AFL Clubs and its upgrade is being paid for by the Victorian Government (read taxpayers). Essentially taxes paid by all Victorians, including me, are benefiting both WCE and Freo and all other non-Vic AFL clubs so not sure how its a "cost to the National game"?

There is a cost beyond the financial, the games credibility: the idea that some clubs are gifted the GF at home but others have to travel will always be questionable in terms of fairness - finals locations are merit based except for GF day.

An asset on the Balance Sheet of the AFL would only be of value to any club if sold & that money returned to the clubs - that happened with Waverly.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't see why temporary lighting is required.

I went to the Blues v Dogs aflw pre-season match and the light towers are missing lights, they could 'easily' install almost a third the number of lights on the existing poles and point them at the darker areas of the ground.

Or just put a bunch on the roof of the taller grandstand.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
[QUO00TE="Kwality, post: 56486020, member: 123650"]Dont want to rain on your parade Roo BUT ... the AFL are paying for the lighting, is it just another example of the back room deal to extend the GF at the G, it is an election year.
Yep I am an Eagles fan & the AFL did not put $0.01 into the new Perth facility, not $1.[/QUOTE]
I don't think that that is the agenda from the State Government, after all the AFL play Sunday twilight games every weekend and have done so now for several years. Personally I agree with drunkill that putting in temporary lights is totally unnecessary. The ground's lighting would be boosted to 600 lux by simply installing the remaining 15 luminaires per-pole in the empty slots on the existing light frames (as shown below) which is a permanent solution and would cost the same amount of money, go figure! That said, the AFL were aware all the long that Ballarat's ground was only presently fitted with a lighting graded for VFL matches but chose to schedule the game there in a late time slot so yes they probably should foot the bill, although as I said, it should really be totally unnecessary. But perhaps a lighting upgrade may be done eventually with the Stage 2 development when (if) that comes.
21369065_10214399983982295_2966771211841254714_o.jpg

images

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
The lighting is for TV purposes. Channel 7 require a certain level of light for broadcast. There are some issues with where the temporary lights will be located.

Now all we need to do is hope it doesn't snow - end of July is usually the most common time for snow in Ballarat.

Dont want to rain on your parade Roo BUT ... the AFL are paying for the lighting, is it just another example of the back room deal to extend the GF at the G, it is an election year.
Yep I am an Eagles fan & the AFL did not put $0.01 into the new Perth facility, not $1.

Wtf does the AFL paying to temp lighting have to do with the state election and the MCC/AFL agreement?

Post belongs on the nutbagger conspiracy board

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Wtf does the AFL paying to temp lighting have to do with the state election and the MCC/AFL agreement?

Post belongs on the nutbagger conspiracy board

Naivety does not suit you 74, politics at work, the Govt does something for the MCC, the MCC does something for the Govt, both need the AFL on board, classic slush fund stuff IMHO - why would the AFL pay for the lights, playing games in Ballarat is political fodder at best.

Now I know the Melbourne footy market is over supplied & demand is very weak for certain segments of the FIXture, lets take these games to A, B, C & the regions e.g Ballarat.
Got no problems with games in Ballarat per se see my apology for raining on (Roogals) parade.

Naivety does not suit you 74, politics at work, the Govt does something for the MCC, the MCC does something for the Govt, both need the AFL on board, classic slush fund stuff IMHO - why would the AFL pay for the lights, playing games in Ballarat is political fodder at best.

Now I know the Melbourne footy market is over supplied & demand is very weak for certain segments of the FIXture, lets take these games to A, B, C & the regions e.g Ballarat.
Got no problems with games in Ballarat per se see my apology for raining on (Roogals) parade.

Seriously dude, add in Zionists, Rothschild's , and Soros, and they would love you on the conspiracy board ;)

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
AFL set to fork out on lighting ahead of Dogs Power clash at Mars

Brendan Wrigley

The AFL is set to fork out thousands to bring in temporary lighting for next month’s twilight fixture between the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide.

r0_0_4373_2468_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jarrod Witts of the Suns and Tom Boyd of the Bulldogs compete for the ball. Picture: Dylan Burns

Unlike the previous two premiership matches which have been played at 1.45pm on a Saturday, Ballarat’s third fixture will kick off at 3.20pm on Sunday, July 29. The Courier understands that while the ground’s lighting is considered adequate for play, additional lights are needed to assist the Channel Seven television broadcast.

READ MORE: Eureka Stadium's powerful lights ready

The broadcast is due to finish just before the 6pm news bulletin, however sunset is expected at 5.35pm. In a statement, AFL media relations manager Patrick Keane confirmed additional lights would be needed, but did not specify the amount or the cost. He stressed “it will be the AFL meeting this cost, not the venue”.

The AFL was aware of the lighting capacity and this match is scheduled as a Seven game for national broadcast on free to air. Patrick Keane - AFL media relations manager srrated “The AFL was aware of the lighting capacity and this match is scheduled as a Seven game for national broadcast on free to air, to provide the widest possible coverage on our network partner for the venue and the game."

Representatives from Channel Seven and the AFL toured the facility earlier this month to inspect the lighting capability. New lights capable of brightening the oval to 300-lux were installed at Mars Stadium in 2016 as part of the $30 million transformation of the facility. The oval’s former lights were transferred to North Ballarat’s number two oval.

City of Ballarat councillor Jim Rinaldi said “the intention was never to have televised night games here, and we knew the lights weren't strong enough”, but added the free-to-air broadcast was a huge win for the city.

r0_0_340_406_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ditchy's view

The match will be the first fixture from Mars Stadium to be broadcast onto free-to-air television, after Fox Footy televised the first two games. The AFL will be hoping for a boosted crowd at the next match after just 6833 spectators turned out for the Bulldogs v Gold Coast game.

When I went past on a heritage train trip to Wycheproof last year I thought that the light towers were not adequate for AFL games, now my suspicions have been confirmed

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Seriously dude, add in Zionists, Rothschild's , and Soros, and they would love you on the conspiracy board ;)

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Nah, you are a girl if you want to be :( ... yes, I'm a bad loser when it comes to the backroom deal that locked in GF to the G until 2057, a big win for the Vic Govt & its never that simple.
Maybe its the noisy footy fan in Sandgropers, not the reserved types :rolleyes: here in Vic.

Nah, you are a girl if you want to be :( ... yes, I'm a bad loser when it comes to the backroom deal that locked in GF to the G until 2057, a big win for the Vic Govt & its never that simple.
Maybe its the noisy footy fan in Sandgropers, not the reserved types :rolleyes: here in Vic.

keep your focus on the relevant stuff then

you dont complain about $3 pies at etihad during june because its a part of a pro vic plan to deprive WA of hosting the grand final. the lights are in the same boat

this is your line of thinking, and how mad it is

GOVT: "okay AFL, if you spend a little coin on lights in Ballarat and lock in the GF in Melbourne, we will spend $300m in docklands and we will also force the MCC to spend hundreds of millions of their own money using our jedi mind powers on them"

seriously?

Never contributed to a slush fund where the winners are grinners, madness?

a slush fund is some lights at ballarat? thats not a slush fund, its not even helpful electorally (the govt is spending more on the stadium itself)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
keep your focus on the relevant stuff then

you dont complain about $3 pies at etihad during june because its a part of a pro vic plan to deprive WA of hosting the grand final. the lights are in the same boat

In all fairness, this isn't the sort of thing the AFL should be spending money on. It's the ultimate responsibility of the home club to provide a venue suitable for AFL football. If they can't do it, move the game to a venue that will be.

In all fairness, this isn't the sort of thing the AFL should be spending money on. It's the ultimate responsibility of the home club to provide a venue suitable for AFL football. If they can't do it, move the game to a venue that will be.

is it?

Is it Richmonds job to ensure Etihad is up to spec?

Is it Geelongs job to ensure the MCG meets code?

The AFL have taken away from clubs the right to say where they play their games. Clubs can nominate or select a preference, but thats it.

That issue aside, if the lights at ballarat already meet AFL min requirements for an AFL H&A night game, but the AFL want to juice it to appease TV networks, OR the AFL want to start scheduling night games there instead of the originally planned day ones, thats all on the AFL

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
is it?

Is it Richmonds job to ensure Etihad is up to spec?

Ultimately, yes. Although you'd think there'd be various conditions in the contracts that mean that its probably the ground manager's responsibility.

Is it Geelongs job to ensure the MCG meets code?

Ultimately, yes. But ditto.

The AFL have taken away from clubs the right to say where they play their games. Clubs can nominate or select a preference, but thats it.

That's not the case here.

That issue aside, if the lights at ballarat already meet AFL min requirements for an AFL H&A night game, but the AFL want to juice it to appease TV networks, OR the AFL want to start scheduling night games there instead of the originally planned day ones, thats all on the AFL

Fair enough, but the AFL shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

Ultimately, yes. Although you'd think there'd be various conditions in the contracts that mean that its probably the ground manager's responsibility.

Ultimately, yes. But ditto.

That's not the case here.

Fair enough, but the AFL shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

Richmond DO NOT WANT TO PLAY AT ETIHAD. Geelong DO NOT WANT TO PLAY AT THE MCG. Yet you think they are both responsible for ensuring the stadium is AFL grade even though they ask not to play home games there are all?

seriously???

Also you are forgetting its the AFL who has the agreements with the MCG and Etihad, most clubs dont have direct agreements with their "home" stadium anymore. Richmond's with the MCC lapsed years ago. Most Etihad tenants are lapsed. And this is for the stadium they call "home"

The AFL control stadium selection, more so in Victoria than anywhere else. Pretending clubs have a say in where they play over the AFL is laughable

On the Ballarat thing, the AFL has right of veto on any game sale deal, clubs cannot do this on their own. This happened most recently in Tassie, where Richmond were removed from discussions with the Tassie govt after the AFL advised them the Kangas were their preferred Hobart partner. The Hawks deal was the same, its renewal was dependant upon the afl agreeing to it (something that the afl was thinking of not doing at one point).

If Balla was set up to host day games during H&A (a logical thought given temps in Ballarat at night in winter) but the AFL in their wisdom decide to change it up and host night games, thats their issue. Personally i think a night game in winter up there is stupid, but its what the afl want, so i genuinely dont care if they are paying for the lights - vic tax payers have already done their bit

Back