Game Day Marsh Community Series 1 2020: Hawthorn v St Kilda, Thursday 20th February 7:10pm AEST @ RSEA Park

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re not so good at this.
You posted we wouldn't be playing finals if Howe was best 22
He's one player. He played 17 games in 2018 and we played finals.

Him playing or not playing doesn't automatically decide the teams chances this year. That first post was crap.
Your follow up when questioned was much more reasonable and showed your thinking. Post like that, saying you think a bloke is capable depth but not the bloke thelat gets you into finals is fine. But that bloke isn't so bad he sabotages finals.

I feel he is down the pecking order and if we want to compete then he is the type the younger blokes need to keep out of the side. Solid depth though and has proven to be capable.

He's a solid tagger who can still get some of his own ball while tagging, which is a valuable attribute. I do think he's definitely outside our top 5 mids, and I mainly took issue with your call that if he was getting midfield time, we wouldn't be playing finals given he played the majority of games in 2018 when we made top 4. For the record I'd say our top 5 mids were Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Shiels, which is a pretty handy unit IMO, which is why I think Howe will only play if he's needed for a particular stopping role and we think he's a better matchup for that particular player than Shiels. Cousins in a similar boat, but can't realistically see him getting much game time without injuries, but Howe could play on the right day with the right matchup without waiting for injuries (or Clarko to decide Wingard should be a full time small forward).

He's a solid tagger who can still get some of his own ball while tagging, which is a valuable attribute. I do think he's definitely outside our top 5 mids, and I mainly took issue with your call that if he was getting midfield time, we wouldn't be playing finals given he played the majority of games in 2018 when we made top 4. For the record I'd say our top 5 mids were Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Shiels, which is a pretty handy unit IMO, which is why I think Howe will only play if he's needed for a particular stopping role and we think he's a better matchup for that particular player than Shiels. Cousins in a similar boat, but can't realistically see him getting much game time without injuries, but Howe could play on the right day with the right matchup without waiting for injuries (or Clarko to decide Wingard should be a full time small forward).

We've always looked a stronger team when Howe was playing well and adding his size to our midfield. We've been a little small in there for a while now, but he protected us admirably from the likes of Cripps and co. at times when he played on those guys. He was stiff to get that suspension after he reacted in that match against Carlton a year or two back. But that act illustrated exactly what he brings to the table: formidable size and aggression. Had that not happened, he was really building into a very solid AFL mid.

Last edited:
We've always looked a stronger team when Howe was playing well and adding his size to our midfield. We've been a little small in there for a while now, and protected us admirably from the likes of Cripps at times when he's played on those guys. He was stiff to get that suspension when he reacted in that match against Carlton a year or two back. Had that not happened, he was really building into a very solid AFL mid.
Think Howe is the type of roll player that Clarko likes. When he is fit he will get more games than some people think, even when we have no injuries. Just my opinion so do not attack me.
Oh and they will make finals even if he plays.

If Howe is playing well he can clear space. He can block/bulldoze in a way our other mids can't

If he's got a good defensive match up to go with that great.

He hasn't shown the versatility of Shiels yet though, or the smarts.

On balance if you're playing one most times you're playing Liam.

I think Howe is a reasonable player and seems to be a quiet and likeable person. At the least he makes for a solid depth option.

Right now he's behind the five main midfielders though, and will be fighting it out for a place in the side against Cousins and hopefully Finn.

My main issue with Howe is that he's slow with his decision making and generally slow across the ground (cue that one Dangerfield tackle). But on the plus side he can play multiple roles, which is something Cousins is yet to exhibit.

Howe would be an exceptional complementary piece for a quick midfield IMO. He is extremely reliable in shutting down the most damaging opposition player due to his size and deceptive strength - especially if they lack leg speed (e.g. Pendles). However, I think our midfield is already slightly on the slower side with Wingard being our only real 'quick' player. JOM & Worps are quick in bursts but not consistently. So I've always felt that Howe leaves us too slow for some of the quicker teams like the Bulldogs.

Refresh my memory wasnt that the year the AFL put us against the other seven finalists first up in the real stuff? won 6 and lost to geelong by 2 kicks
#freekickhawthorn

RndTScoringFScoringARMW-D-LVenueCrowdDate
R1
H​
Geelong
4.3 8.9 10.10 12.14​
86​
1.5 5.7 10.12 13.15​
93​
L​
-7​
0-0-1​
M.C.G.​
76300​
Mon 01-Apr-2013 3:20 PM​
R2
A​
West Coast
6.1 11.2 15.7 23.10​
148​
1.3 6.6 12.6 15.8​
98​
W​
50​
1-0-1​
Subiaco​
38389​
Sun 07-Apr-2013 2:40 PM​
R3
A​
Collingwood
2.1 7.5 15.9 22.13​
145​
3.6 7.6 11.9 13.12​
90​
W​
55​
2-0-1​
M.C.G.​
72254​
Sun 14-Apr-2013 3:20 PM​
R4
H​
Fremantle
5.2 10.4 13.6 18.10​
118​
0.2 5.4 8.8 11.10​
76​
W​
42​
3-0-1​
York Park​
12619​
Sat 20-Apr-2013 1:45 PM​
R5
H​
North Melbourne
5.4 8.8 11.11 14.15​
99​
3.5 7.9 9.15 13.18​
96​
W​
3​
4-0-1​
M.C.G.​
42103​
Sun 28-Apr-2013 4:40 PM​
R6
A​
Adelaide
5.2 6.5 9.8 13.11​
89​
1.4 5.9 8.9 11.12​
78​
W​
11​
5-0-1​
Football Park​
37324​
Sat 04-May-2013 4:10 PM​
R7
H​
Sydney
5.3 11.3 14.6 18.11​
119​
1.4 4.5 7.7 12.10​
82​
W​
37​
6-0-1​
M.C.G.​
54725​
Sat 11-May-2013 7:40 PM​

I'd love to see Richmond or Collingwood get equivalent draws atm.

You posted we wouldn't be playing finals if Howe was best 22
He's one player. He played 17 games in 2018 and we played finals.

Him playing or not playing doesn't automatically decide the teams chances this year. That first post was crap.
Your follow up when questioned was much more reasonable and showed your thinking. Post like that, saying you think a bloke is capable depth but not the bloke thelat gets you into finals is fine. But that bloke isn't so bad he sabotages finals.

Well for gods sake, you are genuinely nit picking because of my bluntness and short response not dissimilar at all to Abasi. The fact you feel I need to explain myself in detail rather than just have an opinion says more about you than me.

The simple fact is you don’t like how I say things.

But again, you’re making things up, I never said Howe would sabotage our finals series, I merely pointed out my belief that we are not a finals team with Howe in our best 22. Yes, I will concede for people like yourself who want detailed and thorough explanations behind the rationale I failed. How that’s “Always being a dick about our players” shows the true drama queen you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well for gods sake, you are genuinely nit picking because of my bluntness and short response not dissimilar at all to Abasi. The fact you feel I need to explain myself in detail rather than just have an opinion says more about you than me.

But again, you’re making things up, I never said Howe would sabotage our finals series, I merely pointed out my belief that we are not a finals team with Howe in our best 22. Yes, I will concede for people like yourself who want detailed and thorough explanations behind the rationale I failed. How that’s “Always being a dick about our players” shows the true drama queen you are.
I worry not about the opinions of lambs.

There are opinions and then there are opinions that can be defended. You have have many negative opinions and you get upset whenever asked to defend them. This is a discussion forum not a podium for your emotional outbursts. If you aren’t willing to discuss and defend you opinions maybe this just isn’t the right place for you.

The game was manipulated by the coaches.
I really think its very likely Clarko and ratten agreed how it would go to an extent, and probably will next week too

to me this was obvious at the ground. First quarter looked like both teams get to practice offence. Second quarter defence. Left at half time. Couldn’t be bothered lining up for great northern.

Walker lacks a bit of pace. It looked a little glaring against the Saints when the ball hit the ground. I wish we played Jackson Ross to get a good look at him. Walker hasn't shown a rounded game at VFL yet. (just my 2 cent opinion).

I agree but give him a chance he has worked hard this summer P.B in multiple aeras. i heard wrighty had to pull him out of the vfl he dominated the last two games.

I hear big wraps about Ross i look fwd to watching him... we definatly need some type of zipp or creativity up fwd..

In this instance I can’t see what you’ve done to cause others to personally attack you. Being called a dick or flog nuts is pretty inflammatory behaviour and in my eyes is un needed for simply saying something others may not agree with.

In this instance I can’t see what you’ve done to cause others to personally attack you. Being called a dick or flog nuts is pretty inflammatory behaviour and in my eyes is un needed for simply saying something others may not agree with.
Um... you might want to read the post again, gralin didn't say he was being a dick for a single post, he asked if he ever got tired of being a dick about our players. Now read every one of the posts tige has ever posted and you'll find the question is warranted on the whole. Have a little read of his thesis on Nash for example.

I think you are being a little precious in this exchange.

Saying Howe is not best 22 of a premiership team isnt being a dick.
That wouldn't be being a dick now would it. But that is apparently not what he said, he said if howe plays we aren't making finals. Despite the fact that when how played, we played finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back