Game Day Marsh Community Series 1 2020: Hawthorn v St Kilda, Thursday 20th February 7:10pm AEST @ RSEA Park

Remove this Banner Ad

When Clarko gets defensive = rebuilding

When Clarko gets offensive = look out, shits about to happen :thumbsu:

yazEkK.gif

Breust gives the example of Franklin, Roughhead, Hale being used as a 3-pronged tall forward line with 1 of the tall forwards helping to rotate in the ruck.

Also notes how having these tall targets will benefit the small forwards, allowing them to know where to go to get involved in the chain of play.

Names himself, Puopolo, Minchington and Hanrahan as the small forwards who will need to create enough pressure for this tall set-up to be sustainable.

Breust gives the example of Franklin, Roughhead, Hale being used as a 3-pronged tall forward line with 1 of the tall forwards helping to rotate in the ruck.

Also notes how having these tall targets will benefit the small forwards, allowing them to know where to go to get involved in the chain of play.

Names himself, Puopolo, Minchington and Hanrahan as the small forwards who will need to create enough pressure for this tall set-up to be sustainable.

With the exception of Breust am a bit nervous. Hanrahan has only played 9 games so fingers crossed re his development. Not convinced on Pop anymore and Minch just needs a run at it. Pretty happy where we sit everywhere else atm.

Would love to see Hardwick go forward but he is so bloody good where he is.

With the exception of Breust am a bit nervous. Hanrahan has only played 9 games so fingers crossed re his development. Not convinced on Pop anymore and Minch just needs a run at it. Pretty happy where we sit everywhere else atm.

obvious area we need to strengthen up

-Hanrahan looked pretty decent through 9 games last year, was voted the best first year player for the hawks in 2019.

-Poppy as we all are aware hasn't been at his best for a while now but can still play a role as a pressure forward in 2020 imo. Not going to be kicking bags I don't think but if he can crumb a goal a game and provide ample pressure on defenders then I think he can hold his spot.

-Minch needs to stay healthy and string some dangerous performances together (probably at Box Hill). I think he's got the attributes to make a good small forward, just needs some more time to build into the team.

If Breust keeps up his form, Poppy plays his role and one of Minch/Hanrahan comes through then I think we'll be okay in the short term. Long term still an issue though.

obvious area we need to strengthen up

-Hanrahan looked pretty decent through 9 games last year, was voted the best first year player for the hawks in 2019.

-Poppy as we all are aware hasn't been at his best for a while now but can still play a role as a pressure forward in 2020 imo. Not going to be kicking bags I don't think but if he can crumb a goal a game and provide ample pressure on defenders then I think he can hold his spot.

-Minch needs to stay healthy and string some dangerous performances together (probably at Box Hill). I think he's got the attributes to make a good small forward, just needs some more time to build into the team.

If Breust keeps up his form, Poppy plays his role and one of Minch/Hanrahan comes through then I think we'll be okay in the short term. Long term still an issue though.
Breust turns 30 this year as well. His durability has been remarkable. Fingers crossed he has another 2-3 good seasons left.

Whispy " hey will you be watching and asking the champions of the game how they go about it?"

Punky answered with a straight bat, but could you imagine Roughy? " Well Brad Hills a multi premiership player too so why not?"

never change Whisp (3 flags too btw)

I totally agree.

Didn't Burgoyne have broken rib/s, Mitchell did his shoulder, JO'M missed the game, Sicily had a broken wrist & Stratts missed or something.

It isn't an excuse for losing as they're largely irrelevant in an outcomes-based business, but it probs goes a fair way to explaining why we did lose.
The Richmond game was brutal and in trying conditions. Cost us going further in the finals and I think it cost Richmond the flag.

Breust turns 30 this year as well. His durability has been remarkable. Fingers crossed he has another 2-3 good seasons left.
He turns 30 after the season is over in November. He will play the whole year as a 29 year old.

When Clarko gets defensive = rebuilding

When Clarko gets offensive = look out, shits about to happen :thumbsu:
Saw the great man at the Airport this morning in shorts and tshirt, almost wanted to hug the little bastard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the great man at the Airport this morning in shorts and tshirt, almost wanted to hug the little bastard.
whats this "almost" s**t?

So right about Hardwick, never move a plus to cover a minus.
Coaches handbook 101.

We weren't non competitive in finals in 2018, we lost 2 games but we put up a contest and if we were a little better and against melbourne we would have won had stratton and omeara played and mitchell not done his shoulder.

and if you're wondering yes I have a reason for every year as to why despite being the best side injury, bad luck or conspiracy robbed us of a flag.
Only had ourselves to blame in that Melbourne game , injuries or not .
Should have been 3-4 goals up at half time with the play we had to that stage . From there they would have panicked and its a different result.

Nah, he's right.

Nah, he's not. Offering an opinion regardless of whether it's negative (or positive) or not is not being a coward. Being a coward would be not offering one at all because someone on the internet said you're a coward for having views different to their own, or posting inane positive stuff purely for likes (not suggesting anyone in particular is doing that mind you).

Last edited:

Wonder if Greaves would be up to the small defender position...

So we just define being uncompetitive as losing? Fantastic...

if you don’t want to be optimistic about our sides chances when our list is clearly in a better position then there is no pleasing you I guess.

I'm the most optimistic I've been since 2016 about our chances for the season. I think we were unlucky in 2018 to not be more competitive during finals. I agree with you that we could have been competitive, if not for injuries (and some bizarre goal kicking yips). I think we were better than many said we were during the 2018 finals campaign, and luck simply didn't favour us. I think we probably largely agree , and the difference in opinion is more about the semantics of what 'competitive' means. I don't believe we were competitive in the 2018 finals series (largely due to the reasons you outlined in your post).

I'm the most optimistic I've been since 2016 about our chances for the season. I think we were unlucky in 2018 to not be more competitive during finals. I agree with you that we could have been competitive, if not for injuries (and some bizarre goal kicking yips). I think we were better than many said we were during the 2018 finals campaign, and luck simply didn't favour us. I think we probably largely agree , and the difference in opinion is more about the semantics of what 'competitive' means. I don't believe we were competitive in the 2018 finals series (largely due to the reasons you outlined in your post).
I lost interest after reading "we were unlucky" and "if not for injuries".
Leave that sort of talk for for clubs who accept mediocrity and loser talk.
You make your own luck (see 3-peat and countless prelims that we were "lucky to win") and we werent able to counter injuries with good depth like some of the BETTER teams did would be a more accurate summation.

So right about Hardwick, never move a plus to cover a minus.
Coaches handbook 101.
I dont think Hardwick would be the answer to solving the issue of a pressure forward in any case. As much as he is hard at it, his strength isnt possessing the burst speed / tank ideally required for repeat forward pressure acts. Right now I think he is much better suited to defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back