Review Marsh Community Series 1 v Geelong @ Metricon 6:30pm 22 Feb 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want to share my player ratings, i know we all watch the same game haha

3. Jack Bowes - 6/10 - Didn't have much to do, did alright
4. Brandon Ellis 6/10 - Looked solid
6. Alex Sexton 10/10 - 6 goals, great game from sexton, should easily piss it in for our leading goalkicking
7. Will Brodie 8/10 - Pretty sure he didn't play the first quarter and came out as i expected 25d 5m 5t type of player. Very impressed
9. Ben Ainsworth 9/10 - This is why i love Benny, if he can just stay on the park he will be that player we all know, speedy powerful skillful
11. Touk Miller 8/10 - Standard Touk, looked very classy, used the ball well and trademark touk applied plenty of pressure
12. Sam Day 6/10 - Solid target up top, nice goal
13. Jack Lukosius 6/10 - Needs to win a few more contests, but composed with the ball
14. Lachie Weller 7/10 - Lachie looked like a true all-star today was very good in the middle, hopefully see more of that this year
15. Noah Anderson 7/10 - Moved well and was very solid, his assist to king was topped by his sidestep goal ohhhh my
18. Matt Rowell 9/10 - He is so good, we are so lucky. What a player
21. Hugh Greenwood 10/10 - Perfect game from Hugh, he used his frame superbly and laid plenty of tackles.. i expect this to be the standard
23. Sean Lemmens 8/10 - I've suggested his name plenty of times in this forum and he didn't let me down today! very classy
24. David Swallow 7/10 - Solid from the skip
25. Sam Collins 7/10 - Good to see Collins back and looked like he hasn't missed a beat. Handy inclusion
29. Chris Burgess 6/10 - Burgess looks alot better this year without being the main man. Could be a solid back up this year
30. Peter Wright 6/10 - Started off like we thought he would but improved and at the moment i think he's ahead of Day
31. Jordan Murdoch 5/10 - Looked like he was in the forward line the second half, didn't do much.
32. Zac Smith 7/10 - Couldn't ask for much more from a 2nd ruck. Solid
34. Ben King 6/10 - Nice goal and competed well. Rested up later on (Understandable)
35. Connor Budarick 8/10 - Round 1 smokey alert, played real well, classy
37. Jeremy Sharp 6/10 - Started the second half with his first 3 touches , 3 shots from 50, looked solid in junk time on the wing.
38. Jesse Joyce 5/10 - Not sure bout Joyce, expected more, received less
43. Jez Mclennan 5/10 - Same as above, Budarick above him in peaking order
44. Darcy Macpherson 10/10 - BOG , what a terrier, can't believe some people left him out our best 22, so much heart and ticker from this small lad
46. Caleb Graham 6/10 - Performed well, does look comfortable at AFL level, will probably play if Thompson not ready by round 1.

Let me know some feedback if i got most of them right

Greenwood is just so smart in traffic.

Brodie has improved out of sight compared to when I've ever seen him. Smart decisions in traffic, kicking into space and hitting targets. Awesome.
Greenwood has the highest percentage of contested ball wins in the competition. It's higher than Cripps. Massive pick up.

Sexy is first picked every week along with Witts and swallow. He is one of the best forwards in the league
This time last year it was ridiculous that people thought he was fringe
If Jack Martin is worth $1M.........
It may only be pre-season but the stuff Budarick did tonight transcends the standard of competition being played
Club must be thrilled

It’s only Marsh Series... and Geelong looked garbage

but 67 points is hard to ignore - great night at the footy!

It may only be pre-season but the stuff Budarick did tonight transcends the standard of competition being played
Club must be thrilled
Buda was great, quick, made good decisions and attacked the ball hard

Really want to see a Matt Rowell highlights montage uploaded from tonight's game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buda was great, quick, made good decisions and attacked the ball hard
Totally agree. Ball in hand, excellent.
Devils advocate here.
His position will be back pocket, and we haven’t really seen his ability to defend yet.
Would like to see how he goes lined up on a good small forward.

Club must be thrilled
Jack Martin came to my footy club yesterday along with a few other Carlton boys including Eddie Betts.
I was having a chat to both and Jack said he is excited to see where we go this year. He said we will rise it was just we fatigued last year with young bodies but he said who we have up on the Coast are good football people and should be able to make us reach that next step.
Eddie was also saying he is impressed with what we are doing and mentioned that we will ruffle a few feathers this year. He said to me he was talking to an asst coach up there and Rowell is going to be a gun (finally a draft pick that lives up to this lofty standards!)

Totally agree. Ball in hand, excellent.
Devils advocate here.
His position will be back pocket, and we haven’t really seen his ability to defend yet.
Would like to see how he goes lined up on a good small forward.
If I remember correctly he did play on Cameron a week ago in the first half. Except the first Cameron goal he did well in my eyes, did not get outmuscled one on one to my surprise, good closing speed, smart. He really surprised me, could play round 1.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly he did play on Cameron a week ago in the first half. Except the the first Cameron goal he did well in my eyes, did not get outmuscled one on one to my surprise, good closing speed, smart. He really surprised me, could play round 1.

Yeah, I heard Cameron had a couple of times he just sped away from the Suns players to score / set up goals.
Adelaide have Tyson Stengle who I think is more a crafty forward in the mould of Betts rather than an explosive one like Cameron.
Budarick has definitely put his name in the mix.

Was also very impressed with his interview post match. Seems like a mature and composed young man.

Jack Martin came to my footy club yesterday along with a few other Carlton boys including Eddie Betts.
I was having a chat to both and Jack said he is excited to see where we go this year. He said we will rise it was just we fatigued last year with young bodies but he said who we have up on the Coast are good football people and should be able to make us reach that next step.
Eddie was also saying he is impressed with what we are doing and mentioned that we will ruffle a few feathers this year. He said to me he was talking to an asst coach up there and Rowell is going to be a gun (finally a draft pick that lives up to this lofty standards!)
Probably Kaesler

Very funny to come home late after the game and read some posts here. First, most players no good including Mcpherson, at the end please protect our guns :)

Only practice, but it was damn enjoyable to see our boys dominating. They could easily win by 100 if they did no miss so many easy shots.

Most pleasing was to see boys execute our style, how we want to play - the pressure was unbelievable especially from Ainsworth, Lemmens, Mcpherson forward.

It looks like Brodie, Bowes, Mcpherson, Ainsworth are ready to start deliver on promise.
Greenwood fits in really well.
Smith again did decent job.
Budarick again played well. The same could be said about Graham and Burgess.
I really liked how many players rotated through midfield, different types, speed. I would like Bowes to get run there too.

Last edited:
Very funny to come home later after the game and read some posts here. First, most players no good including Mcpherson, at the end please protect our guns :)

Only practice, but it was damn enjoyable to see our boys dominating. They could easily win by 100 if they did no miss so many easy shots.

Most pleasing was to see boys execute our style, how we want to play - the pressure was unbelievable especially from Ainsworth, Lemmens, Mcpherson forward.

It looks like Brodie, Bowes, Mcpherson, Ainsworth are ready to start deliver on promise.
Greenwood fits in really well.
Smith again did decent job.
Budarick again played well. The same could be said about Graham and Burgess.
I really liked how many players rotated through midfield, different types, speed. I would like Bowes to get run there too.

yeah I noticed the DMac scorn early on in the game too. He had a blinder.
Think I might try and avoid posting during the games this year. You open yourself up to saying things that make you look like a bigger goose than you already are.

So many positives

Midfielders:
Brodie - looked to be effective on the spread in a more open game, his kicking and in particular vision was nice.
Weller - <50% TOG but still gathered 17 disposals, had 2 shots on goal, and 1 goal assist. His dynamism and laser right foot could be such a boon for our forwards if he continues to play further up the ground.
Rowell - 15 contested possessions, 7 tackles, 4 clearances. 1st year player. Next Joel Selwood.
Greenwood - 82% TOG. The knock on Greenwood was he couldn't run out a whole game in the midfield. Didn't see any signs of that last night.
Sharp: Showed some real skills, definitely some aspects to work on and I think quite unlikely for round 1 but man, you can see the talent.

Swallow, Macpherson, Ellis, Miller did what we know they can. All played well, think they'll bring their solid games week in week out in the real season.

Forwards:
Lemmens - Adds some serious pressure to our forward line, tackles hard, quick. Will play a lot of games for us this year. Makes the forward line more dangerous, when the opposition have the ball.
Ainsworth - Picked up where he left off 2019. Like Lemmens but with more class and a bigger upside.

Sexton did his thing.
King, Day, Wright had moments - would have liked a bit more from a least one of them.

Defenders
Budarick - wow, young guy will be a 10 year AFL player I reckon.
Burgess - think he did everything right when on ground
Graham - solid, think he's up for selection to cover Thompson.

The guys I was hoping for a little bit more from
Mclennan, spoiled well, made some bad decisions with ball in hand
Lukosius - was fine but had images in my mind of him carving teams up with his kicking coming out of defence. Only played 50% TOG and still had 18 touches so not a bad game by any stretch.
Joyce - I'm not as down on him as others - but 4 clangers - too many.
Murdoch - Only a couple of touches from 40% game time, just couldn't get involved, not even sure where he was playing.

yeah I noticed the DMac scorn early on in the game too. He had a blinder.
Think I might try and avoid posting during the games this year. You open yourself up to saying things that make you look like a bigger goose than you already are.
Definitely encourage the posting during a game.
Helps those of us who are at home enjoy it with others haha.

So many positives

Midfielders:
Brodie - looked to be effective on the spread in a more open game, his kicking and in particular vision was nice.
Weller - <50% TOG but still gathered 17 disposals, had 2 shots on goal, and 1 goal assist. His dynamism and laser right foot could be such a boon for our forwards if he continues to play further up the ground.
Rowell - 15 contested possessions, 7 tackles, 4 clearances. 1st year player. Next Joel Selwood.
Greenwood - 82% TOG. The knock on Greenwood was he couldn't run out a whole game in the midfield. Didn't see any signs of that last night.
Sharp: Showed some real skills, definitely some aspects to work on and I think quite unlikely for round 1 but man, you can see the talent.

Swallow, Macpherson, Ellis, Miller did what we know they can. All played well, think they'll bring their solid games week in week out in the real season.

Forwards:
Lemmens - Adds some serious pressure to our forward line, tackles hard, quick. Will play a lot of games for us this year. Makes the forward line more dangerous, when the opposition have the ball.
Ainsworth - Picked up where he left off 2019. Like Lemmens but with more class and a bigger upside.

Sexton did his thing.
King, Day, Wright had moments - would have liked a bit more from a least one of them.

Defenders
Budarick - wow, young guy will be a 10 year AFL player I reckon.
Burgess - think he did everything right when on ground
Graham - solid, think he's up for selection to cover Thompson.

The guys I was hoping for a little bit more from
Mclennan, spoiled well, made some bad decisions with ball in hand
Lukosius - was fine but had images in my mind of him carving teams up with his kicking coming out of defence. Only played 50% TOG and still had 18 touches so not a bad game by any stretch.
Joyce - I'm not as down on him as others - but 4 clangers - too many.
Murdoch - Only a couple of touches from 40% game time, just couldn't get involved, not even sure where he was playing.
Agree basically with everything.

I could not believe how well Brodie played. You almost wanted him to have a ball. He made right decisions, great kicks, moved well. What a difference from the last year.

Watching King going hard at it is really pleasing.

Wright early I was again shaking my head especially afte missing that easy mark. But then he got into it. His goal kick was fantastic, did decent job in ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back