Review Marsh Community Series 1 v Geelong @ Metricon 6:30pm 22 Feb 2020

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What a great night at the footy, my observations summarised from the game
Guys looked super fit when they came out
We were first to the contest almost as a mantra almost all the time and accelerated at the footy versus previous years where we seemed to hesitate and take a back seat to the oppo
Our backs are aggressively going at the ball rather than locking down the oppo and trying to tie it up
We are finally crumbing around the contest and reading the packs where in the past we always seem to be left flat footed when the ball hits the deck
Most of the time we had quick hands in tight and cleared the handballs rather than a chain that ended up putting a player with the ball into an oppo tackle and turning it over
The boys have a lot more instinct and talk about where the "free players" are hence we got on the outside much better than in the past
Kicking was much better
Greenwood is soooo good and tough, he really imposes himself in tight and throws a lot of hard tackles and bumps, new type of players for us
Rowell just cannot stay away from finding the footy
Graham was pretty good down back a big step up from the Leslie's, etc from the past, Josh Drummond is a VERY good backline coach
Darcy Mac was just electric and has a level of confidence now in his on ground presence
Peter Wright hasn't taken the next step and still has the same shortcomings
Brodie was really good, just needs a bit more urgency when he marks the ball, tends to wait too long when the others have a real urgency to play on, his kicking was a lot better
Touk was great
Ellis is a good addition not incredible but solid, his kick to D Mac at the top of the 50 from the flank was very good though
Budarick was a real surprise
Andersons centering kick from the boundary to King was unreal
I thought Collins was tremendous, his reading and intercepting was sensational, he looks up another level from last year and super fit
Lemmens best match ever seems to have got some poise at last rather than just throwing himself around the ground looked a lot more composed and did some very good things with the footy
Jeremy Sharp will should be a superstar what a unit he is, we were smart to trade up to get him
The game style seems significantly different to last years clog up the stoppages and try to lock up the ball, the guys just got tired and we would lose it out of the stoppages and then the oppo would kill us outside
This game style looks very natural for our guys, we made Geelong look very slow
I know we will get in games with tougher more intense teams and it will break down BUT I think we have a much better base now to build on and a level of confidence we haven't had before
The boys focus and intensity was more evident when they were going off the bench and returning
I cant see with the expanded list and so much improvement made in the off season to the game style, skills and teamwork how we won't have a far better season

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
One thing I noticed, is we took on the inside kick a lot more.

A lot more risks being taken, mostly they came off.

Dew seems to have used the past 2 years to build on the defense base.

Now we are going to start working on the attacking side of our game.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What a great night at the footy, my observations summarised from the game
Guys looked super fit when they came out
We were first to the contest almost as a mantra almost all the time and accelerated at the footy versus previous years where we seemed to hesitate and take a back seat to the oppo
Our backs are aggressively going at the ball rather than locking down the oppo and trying to tie it up
We are finally crumbing around the contest and reading the packs where in the past we always seem to be left flat footed when the ball hits the deck
Most of the time we had quick hands in tight and cleared the handballs rather than a chain that ended up putting a player with the ball into an oppo tackle and turning it over
The boys have a lot more instinct and talk about where the "free players" are hence we got on the outside much better than in the past
Kicking was much better
Greenwood is soooo good and tough, he really imposes himself in tight and throws a lot of hard tackles and bumps, new type of players for us
Rowell just cannot stay away from finding the footy
Graham was pretty good down back a big step up from the Leslie's, etc from the past, Josh Drummond is a VERY good backline coach
Darcy Mac was just electric and has a level of confidence now in his on ground presence
Peter Wright hasn't taken the next step and still has the same shortcomings
Brodie was really good, just needs a bit more urgency when he marks the ball, tends to wait too long when the others have a real urgency to play on, his kicking was a lot better
Touk was great
Ellis is a good addition not incredible but solid, his kick to D Mac at the top of the 50 from the flank was very good though
Budarick was a real surprise
Andersons centering kick from the boundary to King was unreal
I thought Collins was tremendous, his reading and intercepting was sensational, he looks up another level from last year and super fit
Lemmens best match ever seems to have got some poise at last rather than just throwing himself around the ground looked a lot more composed and did some very good things with the footy
Jeremy Sharp will should be a superstar what a unit he is, we were smart to trade up to get him
The game style seems significantly different to last years clog up the stoppages and try to lock up the ball, the guys just got tired and we would lose it out of the stoppages and then the oppo would kill us outside
This game style looks very natural for our guys, we made Geelong look very slow
I know we will get in games with tougher more intense teams and it will break down BUT I think we have a much better base now to build on and a level of confidence we haven't had before
The boys focus and intensity was more evident when they were going off the bench and returning
I cant see with the expanded list and so much improvement made in the off season to the game style, skills and teamwork how we won't have a far better season
Yeah Lemmens was a real highlight for me, especially early on. If Lemmens, Macpherson, Joyce, Miller and Weller can lift a notch in addition to Ainsworth, Bowes and Brodie having breakout years, it will go a long way to help us get off the bottom of the ladder.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We are $1.50 for the spoon. Is there a scenario where we get the spoon again but still feel happy about our season? Eg 6/7 wins and getting it on percentage??
What is our most wins in a season in 2014? 10? I’d be happy with 7, stoked with 8+
I see our draw as a difficult one so wouldn’t be surprised if 5-6 wins was our final tally.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Lukosius - was fine but had images in my mind of him carving teams up with his kicking coming out of defence. Only played 50% TOG and still had 18 touches so not a bad game by any stretch.
I think Luko's stats included a lot of kick-ins from full-back. He was playing against some big, strong forwards, so didn't get as much freedom as he did in defence late in 2019.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
We are top of the Marsh Community Series ladder with the biggest win and highest score out of the weekend!!!!!
There is no ladder, ease up mate it’s just a pre season game. Yes we looked good but geelong played at 40% and totally switched off after H/T

decent. Helped out a chain of events that led to goals.
Ellis contributed far more than I thought he would. Keeping his width was really noticeable and he has very quick, accurate hands in traffic.
Keeping that width spread their defense well, allowing us to find space.

Thanks. Yes his elite running and ability to find space as an outlet kick is severely underrated IMO. Glad he played well and it fingers crossed the suns can start to climb this year.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
What?
Think you've been reading (and believing) too much Geelong BigFooty
Please let me know how someone plays at "40%"
I watched the whole game, and was very excited by our team. But the lack of chasing and effort for geelong, they didn’t hunt the ball, didn’t put there bodies on the line. Just cruised around doing easy work, it will be a whole other kettle of fish come round 2.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I watched the whole game, and was very excited by our team. But the lack of chasing and effort for geelong, they didn’t hunt the ball, didn’t put there bodies on the line. Just cruised around doing easy work, it will be a whole other kettle of fish come round 2.
Yeah... We will win by 120 points :p

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Agree. The fact they ran out only wearing t-shirts, totally disrespecting our Club, should tell everyone what they thought of playing this game. And whilst our boys performed admirably, that mob won't be wearing t-shirts in Rd 2, so we'll just need to keep the intensity and pressure up and smash them again.

Back