Game Day Marsh Community Series - Game 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 826323

FEBRUARY 20: Gillon McLachlan, Chief Executive Officer of the AFL (right) looks on during the 2020 Marsh Community Series match between the St Kilda Saints and the Hawthorn Hawks at RSEA Park on February 20, 2020 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos

So Gil a few extra stands here and there, if you build it they will come

I think the senior players are all keeping an eye out for King. I like him playing up the ground for a while until he fills out a bit and gets a bit more experience. But even tonight you could see that he is going to be some player. And to think we got him at pick 4.

As for Marsh, he was the bonus of the night. Physically imposing, electrifying, with the speed of a freight train. A bloke like that can turn a game. Must admit I didn’t expect it.
Saw him last year unfit for AFL but could see he had some real pace.

At training in person is a bull and a large version of Kent.
Love his go at training. Big voice very encouraging.

Nice hitout. Liked the centre clearances. Hanners and Jones will make it even better.

Highlight of the night, well two. Hunter running through the middle, give and receive and a goal from 45 on the right foot.
Hunter through the middle delivers a pin point 45 metre pass on the run with his left foot.
Haven't seen a double sided player like him since Leon Cameron.

For the first time tonight I saw things from Coffield that reminded me of his pre-draft videos that (rightly) had us all drooling over him.

He looked like the kid who benefitted most from the shackles being taken off him under the new regime with a focus on what he can do rather than can’t do.

After tonight, I feel confident in believing he’ll be a real weapon for us in the future.

Add Dunstan to the list. 24 touches, 7 clearances from 64% TOG. Growing nicely.....

(btw AFL app says Gresh had 9 clearances. Froth.)
AFL app has been crashing for me all night (apparently I'm not the only one) and the new website doesn't show stats so i got that off a third party site. AFL really hitting home runs early in 2020

accidentally posted this in the AFL section but bugger it imma leave it there

The most defining feature of Clark as a player for me is how unbelievably clean he is. You can throw that ******* ball at him from any angle and it just sticks in his hands. All his draft highlights show it as well, you really can't teach that level of clean hands.

Negatives:
- Backline didn't really work. Roberton will be a huge inclusion, as will Geary. We struggled to get it out of there, need some work on the connection out of defence. Howard was pretty terrible but will get better. Carlisle warmed up. Thought Long was disappointing but willing to give him more time as a back as he did some nice things.
- Ryder has some work to do. Just looked a bit slow and luggish to me. Seeing what Marsh did late in the game, I don't think Ryder should be a guaranteed start.
- Seb still getting some of those crappy long kicks out of his system.
- Battle. Need to find a position for him, looked lost.

Positives:
- The way we moved the ball forward at times was sublime.
- Small forwards. Lonie, Butler, Kent, Gresham all looked very dangerous.
- Gresham's midfield work was very good.
- Hill. Class above.
- Clark late. Seemed to warm up, such a classy player and that goal was delicious.
- We still have Hannebery and Jones to fit into the midfield.

This time last year our backline looked great and forward line was struggling. This year I feel it's a bit the opposite, but I have a lot of faith in the ability of our backline to click, especially when you bring in Robbo, Geary and maybe Webster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back