Autopsy Marsh Community Series - Game 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

No mention of him also playing close to goal because he is our leading goalkicker

I just watched 10 mins of the 2nd quarter where he took 3 marks and caught bruest holding the ball... all at half back.
Also saw him start in the centre square as a mid a couple of times too.
Not bad for a deep forward

Well not directly but if McKenzie has 1 year left he would have been told we weren’t extending and could have offered Blake something. Anyway. See in 7 years time how bad it was to not get around him and let him be the player we know he could be.
Yep. Sliding door moment was the DMac contract extension.

Thought I would rate our new players from Thursday’s game with some positives and negatives.

hill. 8. Didn’t realise his strength Good vision. Negative was that his opponent was their best player

Howard. 2. Punching the ball was his only positive. Negative kicking and being beaten one on one

king. 4. Kicked well. Good up there ground. Needs to position himself better and not drop chest marks as he has done 2 games in a row

Butler 7. Finds space. Pace. Tackling. No real negatives in the game

Ryder. 4. Very good as second ruck. Negative was he never looked like kicking a goal.

It’s only one game so far to early to tell apart from hill who will be great for us.
Thought Butler was fantastic. Might have struggled to crack a game at Tigers but won't here imo. Great value pick up!

Thought Butler was fantastic. Might have struggled to crack a game at Tigers but won't here imo. Great value pick up!

Lonie picked up where he left off when he got injured last season. The two of them could be very damaging players for us. Double trouble in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game and just watched the replay, my thoughts fwtaw:

D Mac - don't know how he's going to make it, thought he was fumbly and terrible
Savage - slow on a couple of occasions, once costing us a goal where he should have just thumped the loose ball out of danger. Should really play back up
Steele and Dunstan - awesome
Carlisle and Howard - awesome (Howard's going to be a massive get for us)
Wilkie - pretty impressive but would like less safe kicks from him and with more penetration
Abbott - good pick up, can see him playing a few for us this year and doing alright
King - more of those marks will start to stick
Coffield - in trouble I reckon, looks too slow mentally and physically (which is odd because he was meant to be quick) he's miles behind Clark who is a star
Butler - adds class

General - think our midfield is going to be pretty brutal this year providing Dunstan, Steele, Hannebery, and Jones all fire.

It was just incredible to watch a match (albeit a practice match) at Moorabbin, it had been 28 years and still felt more familiar (and a home) than the Docklands. At one stage I looked around at the crowd and thought "why did we ever leave?".

I would love it if they made it a 30,000 seater and we played all our home games there, but I could live with a 20,000 seater to play against interstate sides. IMO its a no brainer and something the Club should be working towards.

Whenever we next play at Moorabbin, I hope its scheduled for a Saturday at 2.00pm.

No one tags on the wing. Anyway the results this week prove nothing matters. Are the suns really that good better to win than lose but really does itmatter

The result doesn’t matter, but teams can draw some belief in their systems and methods, knowing that they can yield positive outcomes.

You guys must excuse my ignorance, but what is the Marsh Series?
Its the pre season games
From about late 80s to 2013 there would be a small knockout comp at the start of the season and two teams would meet in a final and play for a pre season Cup or 'premiership'
It basically means nothing to real fans and was often called the Plastic Cup in my house
It would roughly take two or three weeks, highest scores and winners go thru etc
It was known as the NAB cup for ages as the National Australia Bank was a massive sponsor
Last 5 odd years its changed a few times and theyve moved away from the format of a comp
This year its named the Marsh Community series

The game we play against the Hawks (again) thats coming up is not in the marsh series and was organized by the teams as a bushfire fund raising match for the Gippsland area (someone correct me here if im wrong)

Basically preseason games in any form is a chance to play the youth that normally wouldnt play, put players in diff positions etc etc
We all love it as we get to usually see some of the kids pushing for selection

I was at the game and just watched the replay, my thoughts fwtaw:

D Mac - don't know how he's going to make it, thought he was fumbly and terrible
Savage - slow on a couple of occasions, once costing us a goal where he should have just thumped the loose ball out of danger. Should really play back up
Steele and Dunstan - awesome
Carlisle and Howard - awesome (Howard's going to be a massive get for us)
Wilkie - pretty impressive but would like less safe kicks from him and with more penetration
Abbott - good pick up, can see him playing a few for us this year and doing alright
King - more of those marks will start to stick
Coffield - in trouble I reckon, looks too slow mentally and physically (which is odd because he was meant to be quick) he's miles behind Clark who is a star
Butler - adds class

General - think our midfield is going to be pretty brutal this year providing Dunstan, Steele, Hannebery, and Jones all fire.
Howard awesome? Really. Thought he was terrible. Not hanging on that but that’s how I saw it. Kicking was shocking and worse still lost one on ones. Many have said coff struggled so you aren’t alone in that. I thought he was good. Certainly had savage covered. For gods sake Shane don’t just kick it long all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back