Autopsy Marsh Community Series - Game 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

No one tags on the wing. Anyway the results this week prove nothing matters. Are the suns really that good better to win than lose but really does itmatter
You're right that it doesn't happen every week but the purpose of "tagging" is to reduce the effectiveness of the oppositions most dangerous player so "tagging" of wingers happens from time to time. Sometimes its just about making players more accountable - ie like playing Reiwoldt on Alex Rance.

"Geary’s shut-down job on one of Hawthorn’s most threatening players in Isaac Smith was telling, restricting the elite playmaker to just 16 disposals, three inside-50s and a single behind."

You're right that it doesn't happen every week but the purpose of "tagging" is to reduce the effectiveness of the oppositions most dangerous player so "tagging" of wingers happens from time to time. Sometimes its just about making players more accountable - ie like playing Reiwoldt on Alex Rance.

"Geary’s shut-down job on one of Hawthorn’s most threatening players in Isaac Smith was telling, restricting the elite playmaker to just 16 disposals, three inside-50s and a single behind."
Well no one tags was a generalisation. There will always be outriders. I doubt hill will be tagged but someone may play on him. Having said that maybe a side will be happy if the opposite number has as many shots at goal as smith did Thursday.

I heard its about amenities, toilets etc. Capacity wise you could have accomodated double that crowd easily.

They cap it so that residents don't hate the club.

You guys must excuse my ignorance, but what is the Marsh Series?

Preseason match schedule that is sold to a naming-rights sponsor. You usually play a few games to lead into the proper season and they schedule them all over the regions to give people access to live footy.

Its the pre season games
From about late 80s to 2013 there would be a small knockout comp at the start of the season and two teams would meet in a final and play for a pre season Cup or 'premiership'
It basically means nothing to real fans and was often called the Plastic Cup in my house
It would roughly take two or three weeks, highest scores and winners go thru etc
It was known as the NAB cup for ages as the National Australia Bank was a massive sponsor
Last 5 odd years its changed a few times and theyve moved away from the format of a comp
This year its named the Marsh Community series

The game we play against the Hawks (again) thats coming up is not in the marsh series and was organized by the teams as a bushfire fund raising match for the Gippsland area (someone correct me here if im wrong)

Basically preseason games in any form is a chance to play the youth that normally wouldnt play, put players in diff positions etc etc
We all love it as we get to usually see some of the kids pushing for selection
Preseason match schedule that is sold to a naming-rights sponsor. You usually play a few games to lead into the proper season and they schedule them all over the regions to give people access to live footy.

Many thanks. A bit like the soccer Charity Shield we have here. :thumbsu:

Gresh looks fitter to me. Slotted into the midfield beautifully.

It will be really interesting to see how Webster goes. I think he'd be competing with Long for a spot. If we end up with Savage, Webster and Brown in the 2s, that's a decent backline!

Picking the midfield will be tough. Dunstan put his hand up.

With Battle, I tend to think we should keep him competing for a spot in the backline. It's where he's played his best footy.

Clark is so good by the way.

Interesting to read the stat sheets after watching the game. Thought hill stood out and Billings I didn't notice as much. Then looked at AF scores as Billings was second from the top with 27 Disposals and Hill was down the board on 18 Disposals and an AF score of 51.

Obviously stats aren't everything but it's worth noting nonetheless.
Probably helped that every time Hill was within 25 meters of the ball the commentators spoojed and talked about how go o d of a pick up he was.

I also wonder what a longer game from Marsh would show. He came on as a sub essentially so had much more energy than his opponents. But not to hate on him, did look ok. Wonder if they'll give him a longer game this week out of curiosity.

I also wonder what a longer game from Marsh would show. He came on as a sub essentially so had much more energy than his opponents. But not to hate on him, did look ok. Wonder if they'll give him a longer game this week out of curiosity.
I’d prefer Marsh back & Battle up fwd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well no one tags was a generalisation. There will always be outriders. I doubt hill will be tagged but someone may play on him. Having said that maybe a side will be happy if the opposite number has as many shots at goal as smith did Thursday.
Watching back Hill was only on Smith for 2 of those shots. Hill was lining on Shiels , Scully and Henderson when Smith kicked the two goals and other point. On tv it was deceiving as Smith went back to the wing to play on Hill post those two goals Just as the tv camera focused on them.

Interesting to read the stat sheets after watching the game. Thought hill stood out and Billings I didn't notice as much. Then looked at AF scores as Billings was second from the top with 27 Disposals and Hill was down the board on 18 Disposals and an AF score of 51.

Obviously stats aren't everything but it's worth noting nonetheless.
Probably helped that every time Hill was within 25 meters of the ball the commentators spoojed and talked about how go o d of a pick up he was.
Billings played a lot of minutes where as Hill and Gresham who i thought were our best two, only played 60% of the game.

Thought hill stood out and Billings I didn't notice as much. Then looked at AF scores as Billings was second from the top with 27 Disposals and Hill was down the board on 18 Disposals and an AF score of 51.

Sums up Billings I reckon, Mr "Is he playing today". You notice Hill because he is a gamebreaker, he makes plays happen, breaks open the opposition. Did you see Bontimpelli on the weekend? Same thing, probably even better.

For the number of times Billings gets the ball he as very little impact.

Sums up Billings I reckon, Mr "Is he playing today". You notice Hill because he is a gamebreaker, he makes plays happen, breaks open the opposition. Did you see Bontimpelli on the weekend? Same thing, probably even better.

I'm definately not hating on JB for it. He'sdamn good in his role. It's just a bit of a change. From memory he used to be one you'd always notice.

Billings played a lot of minutes where as Hill and Gresham who i thought were our best two, only played 60% of the game.
And Billings, who must have had around 20 in the second half, picked up a lot of reasonably cheap chip it around type kicks. He wasn’t damaging on that basis. Hope does less of that role this year.

Don't know about that. It's definitely something he needs to become more consistent in if he's ever going to become elite, but he had some seriously damaging games for us last year, especially in the first half of the season.

Hopefully with Hill and Jones in the side he can sneak forward a bit more.

I got a chance to watch the game today , I rated Hill as a pretty good player before he came to us but after watching one mickey mouse game its obvious how much better his is than all of our mids and buy a mile

Howard awesome? Really. Thought he was terrible. Not hanging on that but that’s how I saw it. Kicking was shocking and worse still lost one on ones. Many have said coff struggled so you aren’t alone in that. I thought he was good. Certainly had savage covered. For gods sake Shane don’t just kick it long all the time.

Didn’t think there was too much to dislike about Howard’s game, and remembering him taking a pretty special one hander in a one on one, and aerially he was a presence. Thumped a pack spoil deep into the crowd which got a few wows. Only remember one turnover kick. For turnovers watch Coffield’s game again, there are plenty. But I’m not off him just a crap game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back