Autopsy Marsh Community Series - Game 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t think there was too much to dislike about Howard’s game, and remembering him taking a pretty special one hander in a one on one, and aerially he was a presence. Thumped a pack spoil deep into the crowd which got a few wows. Only remember one turnover kick. For turnovers watch Coffield’s game again, there are plenty. But I’m not off him just a crap game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can’t agree on Howard at all. Rated it a 2 out of 10. Lost one on ones. Coff was ok. Funny how we see things differently

Sums up Billings I reckon, Mr "Is he playing today". You notice Hill because he is a gamebreaker, he makes plays happen, breaks open the opposition. Did you see Bontimpelli on the weekend? Same thing, probably even better.

For the number of times Billings gets the ball he as very little impact.
A lot of his touches seem to be coming in the back half. Might just be where the ball is but it’s not the greatest use of his talents, but at least he’s getting his hands on the pill.

1. Coffield's grab
2. Ryder's blind handball
3. Kings pick up, spin and kick
4. Marsh's collect, burst of speed and pinpoint pass to Marshall
5. Marshall's mark and goal
So much to enjoy from one play

1. Coffield's grab

Could be a fluke, but kind of makes you wonder if Marsh should be playing on a wing.

Could be a fluke, but kind of makes you wonder if Marsh should be playing on a wing.

Would be great if he can hold a spot. Hopefully now that he's had a proper pre-season we can really see what he can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was just incredible to watch a match (albeit a practice match) at Moorabbin, it had been 28 years and still felt more familiar (and a home) than the Docklands. At one stage I looked around at the crowd and thought "why did we ever leave?".

I would love it if they made it a 30,000 seater and we played all our home games there, but I could live with a 20,000 seater to play against interstate sides. IMO its a no brainer and something the Club should be working towards.

Whenever we next play at Moorabbin, I hope its scheduled for a Saturday at 2.00pm.
What was Capicity at Moorabbin back in the Old Days.

I think its the best depth we've had for a long while. Went through our list and counted up 33 players I rated decent players capable of playing in the firsts. And that was leaving out Marsh, Langlands and Phillips. Sorry but I don't rate Marsh yet. See him as a likely list clogger. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Be happy if Skunk was capt. He really has come on as a player. Not bad for a freebie. Thanx swans.

Despite his average debut game I can see Howard as an 8-10 year player.

Finally, Clark will be an absolute star once we find his true position.

Very interesting reading about the Moorabbin FC who were kicked out of the VFA in 1963, first for trying to move into the VFL and secondly for good after they supported councils move to bring St Kilda to Moorabbin.

They disbanded the club after that.

They were pretty successful too, even winning the flag the year prior to being booted out.

I wonder how much of a role the people from the Moorabbin FC had at St Kilda after that?

Last edited:
They managed to jam 51,000 there back in 1965

The last game held 27,000. I'd imagine that was a full house?

In the late 60's....they'd get huge crowds when the big clubs played at Moorabbin.....45-50K sometimes.

I always remember with great fondness the last game of the 1978 season.

Against Carlton...…..a nice sunny late August day....35,000 squeezed in......we dominated all day and won by about 6 goals.

A high school friend who lived a mile away could hear the crowd all afternoon.

Those were the days !!!!

In the late 60's....they'd get huge crowds when the big clubs played at Moorabbin.....45-50K sometimes.

I always remember with great fondness the last game of the 1978 season.

Against Carlton...…..a nice sunny late August day....35,000 squeezed in......we dominated all day and won by about 6 goals.

A high school friend who lived a mile away could hear the crowd all afternoon.

Those were the days !!!!

I was at the last game but I was too young to get much memory out of Moorabin. Waverley was my era but that last game was pretty packed in. My best memories of Moorabin was as a training ground. The 2009 and 2010 GF training was awesome.

1. Coffield's grab

This looks to be a bit of a set play . Whilst it was a little sloppy, everybody was where they were supposed to be. IE Ryder's Dropped mark, Billings was running past as he should've been. Kick fell short to King however knew where the next man down the line would be, so knew what he had to do to get it there. Marsh knew where king was going for so presented there, same with Marshall.

Kind of thing i have been waiting to see for a few years. The last few years i feel that has been a massive issue, everybody knowing their roles and where to be + skill level. Think this group will blend together very quickly as the mix seems just about right now

This looks to be a bit of a set play . Whilst it was a little sloppy, everybody was where they were supposed to be. IE Ryder's Dropped mark, Billings was running past as he should've been. Kick fell short to King however knew where the next man down the line would be, so knew what he had to do to get it there. Marsh knew where king was going for so presented there, same with Marshall.

Kind of thing i have been waiting to see for a few years. The last few years i feel that has been a massive issue, everybody knowing their roles and where to be + skill level. Think this group will blend together very quickly as the mix seems just about right now

I noticed a few taps and handballs like that where it looked like they just knew someone would be there. Something the good teams have been doing for a long time but that we seem to have been lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back