Autopsy Marsh Community Series - Game 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Geary Is GOAT

Premiership Player
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The biggest issue with our backline tonight was that it was leaderless. No general down there to direct traffic and set up our zones.

Coffield, Clark, Long, Wilkie and Battle are too young, Carlisle is simply never going to be that person, Howard is apparently a good leader but is brand new to the side. It really falls to Geary or Roberton to be in the team for us to be organised down back. Savage has been around for long enough and needs to really step up in this area in the absence of those two.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highlights? Too many to mention, but ...
Nice to see Jack Lonie has his confidence and touch back.
Jono Marsh gave us the who-the-f***-was-that!!! moment.
Hunter Clark owned the corridor. Love those long strides and the ambidexterity.
Gresh and Lukey D were like squirrels in and under.
Butler and Long bring oodles of toughness with their footy smarts.
Don't get me started.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably missed a lot from the angle at the ground, so looking forward to watching a replay, but quite a lot to like:
- Dunstan, Steele and Gresham playing well in the guts. I sense a lift from Steele and if Gresham brings anywhere near that centre work then lordy.
- Impressed with Ryder. Hadn’t focused on him much given he’s a little bit of a filler, but now the real season is here he’s looking fit and damn skilful
- Impressed by what Butler brought
- How’s the uplift in skill speed and delivery into the forward line!!
- Back to the mids again and there’s organic growth, there’s new guys and there’s pick ups yet to come in. Clark lovely to watch.
- 17 goals? What is that?
- I think the defence leakage might be more about pressure up the ground, which was generally very good, but they split us open a bit

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highlights? Too many to mention, but ...
Nice to see Jack Lonie has his confidence and touch back.
Jono Marsh gave us the who-the-f***-was-that!!! moment.
Hunter Clark owned the corridor. Love those long strides and the ambidexterity.
Gresh and Lukey D were like squirrels in and under.
Butler and Long bring oodles of toughness with their footy smarts.
Don't get me started.
Oh and yes Lonie. He’s in the top 15 picked if not higher. There’s no longer any doubt about his place in the side (and I’m not just talking about tonight 😁😂🤣)

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
When you look at the potential that Moorabbin could have with say 30k capacity.....the excitement of our own fortress ...find a solution for the car parking....aside from the financial reward it would manifest a myriad of positives and affirm our self belief as a club with a productive home again or maybe for the first time. :think: Impossible ??? I really wish we could find a way. How big a capacity does a home ground need??(sharing home ground maybe with Marvel)....Maybe just for six games a year against the smaller clubs...i dont know if its even really feasible/possible, but after the girls opening and now this it certainly has to be giving food for thought.doesn't it?

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Could only catch the second half but from what I saw:

Marshall and Clark kicking on from where they left off.

Membrey is a damn good player and could be AA if he has the right set up around him.

Hill looked grouse in the only qtr I saw of him. Is exactly what we needed.

King got in some decent spots. No rush with him. Will be better for the run.

Long wasn’t quite what I was hoping for after the talk about him. Again, this is only based on a half but Coff was better tonight. Could be a case of one of those two getting the last spot for round one.

Wilkie solid. Feel like we can pencil that statement in for a long time.

Hope the membership tents were up and running?
Spent $200 on the club tonight, $108 on the guernsey, $10 on the AFL Record and the rest on grog.

They ran out at half time, had to get replacements in....it was a fantastic atmosphere.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
We all owe adam goodes a beer.

(Membery only got squeezed out because goodes went an extra year from memory)

Lots of positives, however my concern that we are doubled up with too much quality in some positions remains.

Most worrying is not having a spot for battle available up fwd or down back.

TBH, Id rather us have the guts to play carlisle or battle at sandy chb rather than trying to shoehorn battle into the team where he isn't suited.

Also Coff looks like a good prospect down back, but to me he looks a lot like a future robbo. Not sure both plus wilkie should be in the same team.

Can't believe I've got work tomorrow, don't know how I'll manage. Moorabbin was pumping tonight, it was amazing.

Will try and post pics tomorrow. Not in the right frame of mind to be trying that now lol

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great way to start. It was a roller coaster type game but a lot of positives to take away.

I thought Membrey, Butler, Dunstan, Marshall, Hill, Lonie, Ryder all put themselves in the box seat for rd 1.

Defensive unit struggles early but looked better in the second half. Not sure Dougal and Carlisle are as locked in as I first thought. Douglas ball use was certainly not better than browns tonight.

ImO Coffield was poor. Can’t say he has excited me since his draft highlight video.

Feels like Long could be battling it out with Savage for the last defensive spot. Wilkie, Geary, Robo, Clarke taking the other smaller type defender spots.

Marsh had some really good moments. Will give King a run for his money.

The Battle utility experiment got off to a shakey start.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
So excited I can barely speak.

No Hanners or Jones in the midfield yet and I can't wait to see Bytel, if I can recognise him.

Robbo, Jimmy and Gears yet to show in the backline.

Completely besotted with Hill and King!

Membrey, Marshall, Ryder .... I could go on ...... if I could find the words.

No room for Battle? Oh FFS!

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only disappointment l can muster is that Longy wasn't able to pull it together. l can see he's got something to give at HB now, but he'll need to do better to play R1.

Marsh, Butler and Dunny are the unexpected bonuses from what l could tell.
Dunny will be a serious beneficiary from having the shackles off.

I'm totally vibed about the talent we're able to put on field now. We're rough and still obviously a work in progress, but it's there to see for all. There is a killer team just needing the experience of a bunch more games together, then watch out.

Props to Wilkie too, he's just so incredibly reliable. He plays R1 for sure...

Unfortunately Dmac is still Dmac, and Seb is still tradebait for mine.

Its just a practice game, l'm telling myself. ...... just a practice game..

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only disappointment l can muster is that Longy wasn't able to pull it together.

I disagree. Long was not good in the fist half, but he then settled and got better and better as the game went on. His last quarter was good.

Remember that playing HB that this match was a step up in opposition quality to the intra-clubs that he has been playing in so far.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some stats:

Disposals: 399-328
CP's: 166-137
Contested marks: 18-4!
Marks: 91-54
Clearances: 40-34
Hitouts: 42-33

Most of the other stats pretty even.

One thing to note was that we had 236 kicks to 163 handballs.

That contested marking domination was particularly "pleasing", as it's an area we've often been smashed in of late.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
A few observations:

Membrey: BOG starred and did everything well with a great all round game.

Hill: Just oozed QUALITY. No one can be in any doubt now after watching that game that he is going to make a HUGE positive difference to the Saints and that he was easily worth the trade cost we paid for him.

King: You can see the class, BUT you can see that he is not used to playing on big bodies the way AFL level players are used too. He will clearly get better but it will take time including him gaining strength. He also looked better when he was on his bike further up the field.

Lonie: Has grown as a player and was our best small forward. Lonie has also eliminated the stupid aspects of his game. Kent and Butler were both ok in support.

Savage: Looked lost and his ball use and decision making was excellent.

Howard: Boy was his kicking shocking. I hope that was a one off bad game.

Carlisle: Quiet first half but starred in the last quarter.wore on. He will bea star for us. He has excellent judgement.

Clark: Got better and better as the game

Sinclair: Many probably ignored his game, but I thought he was good and was a quality link man and ball user tonight. Some real silk in his touches. If he keeps that up he will be in the 22 for Round 1.

Long: Started slow, but his second half was excellent.

Paton: Only came on late, but was very good down back when he did.

Abbott: Came on in the last quarter ad showed that he will be a competent back-up for Marshall and Ryder.

Dunstan, Steele and Ross were all solid. Steele was mainly shutting down Mitchell.

Gresham: Was very good and gain many metres. Just tried to do too much on occasions rather than the simple option, but that is how Gresh plays.

Marshall: Started slow but impacted the game in the second half. Looked better asa forward when move deeper (and King looked better when moved up the ground).

Ryder: Started well but not as good in the second half. Certainly played well enough to bea starting 22 player.

Battle: In the first half looked a little lost and shank a few kicks that probably cost us a goal or two. Looked much better in the second half. I suspect he may suffer from not having a more defined position.

Wilkie: Was Wilkie.

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great way to start. It was a roller coaster type game but a lot of positives to take away.

I thought Membrey, Butler, Dunstan, Marshall, Hill, Lonie, Ryder all put themselves in the box seat for rd 1.

Defensive unit struggles early but looked better in the second half. Not sure Dougal and Carlisle are as locked in as I first thought. Douglas ball use was certainly not better than browns tonight.

ImO Coffield was poor. Can’t say he has excited me since his draft highlight video.

Feels like Long could be battling it out with Savage for the last defensive spot. Wilkie, Geary, Robo, Clarke taking the other smaller type defender spots.

Marsh had some really good moments. Will give King a run for his money.

The Battle utility experiment got off to a shakey start.

This all sounds about right. I thought that Battle was okay, but on talent could be making a much bigger contribution.

Sinclair probably loses his spot for round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingJim

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2011
Toowoomba
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well I enjoyed this match but the first quarter just very WEIRD for me. I cut my teeth at that ground and I think the angles, background building, trees, stands etc are etched in my brain. I swear in the first quarter I was having flashbacks to old games and players from Moorrabbin! The camera panned to our forward line and for a second I thought I saw Tony Lockett running for the ball. I saw Harvey a few times in the centre, Stewie Lowe etc. Was it just me or was this a weird Deja Vu moment? Maybe I am getting senile!

But yes was very impressed. It is good to see our recruiters nailing it for a change. Good times ahead. Hill...mmmmmm

Primed4Glory

Debutant
Jan 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pleasing 😉

Attachments

• 5F3C3E5F-FA91-41EB-B5F1-394FA0B0B8EA.png
    5F3C3E5F-FA91-41EB-B5F1-394FA0B0B8EA.png
    513.4 KB · Views: 393
Back