Preview Marsh Community Series - Melbourne v Adelaide, 22 Feb 4.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point, although:
- when you say allow the easy kick out; no good team in the league really allows for the opposing team to get past the midfield. I probably need to rewatch the game, but it seems within the press we were still guarding specific zones and hence giving up easy kicks to guys open around 50-60m. I would like us to be able to become more accountable for players whilst still trying to maintain the forward press structure. Excuse the basketball comparison, but I think of Miami Heat's 2-3 zone that easily morphs into man on man defence. I don't like the idea of 6 forwards defending a kick in situated within our own F50 not close to a man; surely those guys could be closer to the midfield area.

View attachment 829039
In this image, Jacko/Nibbler(who is late to get in position and gives up the short kick to no.25)/Tomlinson(I think) are the first line of the press, with Langdon Jones Kozzy the second line. Even with 6 guys in the forward 50, there is a kick to the adelaide player unmarked at the top of the 50.

Another pic where Milera dissects the forward press, getting to that open man I just noted in the above image with ease

View attachment 829044

These are the first two kick-ins of the game. We can work on this of course, but the general principle of putting 6 guys in the forward 50 guarding specific zones with our personnel...I am not sure we are a good enough team to do that. We just don't have enough on field leaders. If we could clone Jakey twice, one to play forward and one to play mids, I reckon we'd be a shot with how well he communicates down back; but I don't trust our guys atm to 1. execute the forward press properly, 2. adjust to teams when they inevitably counter the zone by going right through with short kicks, and 3. our guys to defend 12 vs 12 when other teams inevitably break apart the zone.

When Adelaide finally don't screw up a basic kick, this is what happens:

Adelaide are a young team, only Milera and Laird(who played a bit further up the ground anyway vs us didn't he) can kick in their backline. Vs Sydney with Lloyd Dawson Rampe its a different story. Or vs Richmond with Houli Grimes Vlastuin. Or Brisbane with Birchall Ah Chee Witherden etc. I guess we will see if a) we tweak/improve the press, and b) if we can adapt in game once teams make the blindingly obvious decision vs a forward press and put someone in the middle of the zones, i.e. how you break a zone in basketball, how you break down a low block in football/soccer.

I guess beating crap teams is enough to get us into the finals. And crap teams can't break open a press like this, because their ball use is sloppy. But I can't help but think this forward press is a) too drastic(6 in the fwd line, which other team uses such an extreme press) and b) ill suited to our team(we just don't have guys who can halve contests except Nev, who is getting older, May and ... we've got Salem Hore OMac etc. potentially in one backline.

No zone is bulletproof though. Milera played bloody well, and I feel he had to. You pointed out just one specific time the zone didn't work. I realise there were other times, but with a 4 goal breeze in affect, that did have an impact. And i feel watching the game live, it was quite noticeable how difficult it was for the Crows at times to get past it. It reminded me a little of 2018 where we looked fit enough to carry out the forward press, and not only that, it looked like players were well drilled on where to stand specifically. Jones, Melksham and TMac in particular i noticed were active in setting it up by pointing and communicating with the forwards/mids. Plus our tackling pressure was the best I'd seen since 2018. A few kinks maybe to iron out, but that's what these games are for, but I feel it was a very positive showing..

No zone is bulletproof though. Milera played bloody well, and I feel he had to. You pointed out just one specific time the zone didn't work. I realise there were other times, but with a 4 goal breeze in affect, that did have an impact. And i feel watching the game live, it was quite noticeable how difficult it was for the Crows at times to get past it. It reminded me a little of 2018 where we looked fit enough to carry out the forward press, and not only that, it looked like players were well drilled on where to stand specifically. Jones, Melksham and TMac in particular i noticed were active in setting it up by pointing and communicating with the forwards/mids. Plus our tackling pressure was the best I'd seen since 2018. A few kinks maybe to iron out, but that's what these games are for, but I feel it was a very positive showing..
yeah you're right. I forgot about the breeze, and as my comment said ball use is pretty s**t by most teams tbh. So its gonna help vs a lot of the more inexperienced teams, like Adelaide, this season.

But I just feel its an easy adjustment for the opposing team. Just use ur best kick taking kick ins and there will be someone open around the 50m line.

It is definitely a lot easier to notice the zone/press in person though, unfortunately I could only watch it via Kayo and therefore its hard to see how the rest of the team is setup.

Great to hear Milkshakes, Chunk, TMac communicating. Was thinking maybe Chunk moved from HB into the front 6off kick-ins for communication primarily. We have the talls to press, but we need guys like Fritsch Hannan applying a fair bit of f50 pressure too.

I think despite all of your analysis you were missing the biggest factor in our press which was there was a 4 goal breeze blowing back towards that goal. Meaning we were inviting them to hit those kicks there to attack the turnover.
Jones kicked our first from a turnover there
fair point, will be interesting to see how we adapt(or let's be honest the complete lack of adaptation) to other teams in different conditions.

I worry with Goody's lack of in game adjustments(used to give him the benefit of the doubt in this aspect) this zone gets sliced open quite easily once teams adjust. Have we got the on-field leaders? Seems TMac Milkshakes Chunk took it upon themselves to organise everyone, but as I said man I'd love if we could clone Jakey Lever a couple of times. With him in defence the structure is a lot more sound at stoppages, won't be giving up too many goals out the back by the second half of this season you'd think.

yeah you're right. I forgot about the breeze, and as my comment said ball use is pretty s**t by most teams tbh. So its gonna help vs a lot of the more inexperienced teams, like Adelaide, this season.

But I just feel its an easy adjustment for the opposing team. Just use ur best kick taking kick ins and there will be someone open around the 50m line.

It is definitely a lot easier to notice the zone/press in person though, unfortunately I could only watch it via Kayo and therefore its hard to see how the rest of the team is setup.

Great to hear Milkshakes, Chunk, TMac communicating. Was thinking maybe Chunk moved from HB into the front 6off kick-ins for communication primarily. We have the talls to press, but we need guys like Fritsch Hannan applying a fair bit of f50 pressure too.

The other thing they probably wouldn't have shown on TV was the setup of the defenders behind the initial press.

At the game it was noticeable how we were holding an extra defender deeper, especially when Adelaide had the breeze. The closest player to Adelaide's goal was always a Melbourne player, and often by a good 5-10metres. So even if they did beat the initial press, we weren't as easily killed out the back as last year. Mostly it was Nev holding the deepest spot, with Lever or OMac 1 player closer to be able to intercept (I'll personally be happier when that's May and not OMac).

The other thing i found interesting being at the game, from a centre bounce we positioned one of our wingers at the defensive end of the centre square. And mostly either Jones or AVB off the half back line. Once the ball was bounced, the winger would drop into the defensive hole, and Jones/AVB/occasionally Harmes would push into the middle. One of midfielders then usually tried to position themselves on the outside of the contest. This seemed to cause adelaides forwards/mids a whole lot of confusion. They manned it up a fair bit in the second quarter and had a player run with Jones/AVB, but let it go again in the last. It worked quiet well, and i think when Gus is back in the side it could work even better, as he is the perfect half in/half out link between the contest and the spread. Also I think Gus, Harmes, Jones, AVB, and even Trac and Clarry (if he ever realises he is allowed to kick the ball) could be the player off the back of the square and hit that centre clearance hard.

Also very noticeable at the ground, Tomlinsons running patterns. He gets into some really good places. Didn't get used as often as he deserved to i didnt think, but once he learns to play with us, and we get used to actually having players making space i think he will become very valuable, especially on the wide space of the G.

Also, Jackson is a freak athletically for his age and size, and also seems really competitive. If he has even a modicum of skill he will be a very good player in time. As a ruckman he still needs to find the balance between chasing the ball and covering his opponent. A couple of times when he was in the ruck he started chasing the ball and his opponent started pushing forward and it cost us. Kozzy still needs to build the fitness, he gassed out hard a couple of times on chases, but even though he looked like he was going to collapse he still busted his arse to try and lay a tackle. Once his fitness is that of an AFL player, he will cause some defenders to s**t their pants as they try to escape that press.

The other thing they probably wouldn't have shown on TV was the setup of the defenders behind the initial press.

At the game it was noticeable how we were holding an extra defender deeper, especially when Adelaide had the breeze. The closest player to Adelaide's goal was always a Melbourne player, and often by a good 5-10metres. So even if they did beat the initial press, we weren't as easily killed out the back as last year. Mostly it was Nev holding the deepest spot, with Lever or OMac 1 player closer to be able to intercept (I'll personally be happier when that's May and not OMac).

The other thing i found interesting being at the game, from a centre bounce we positioned one of our wingers at the defensive end of the centre square. And mostly either Jones or AVB off the half back line. Once the ball was bounced, the winger would drop into the defensive hole, and Jones/AVB/occasionally Harmes would push into the middle. One of midfielders then usually tried to position themselves on the outside of the contest. This seemed to cause adelaides forwards/mids a whole lot of confusion. They manned it up a fair bit in the second quarter and had a player run with Jones/AVB, but let it go again in the last. It worked quiet well, and i think when Gus is back in the side it could work even better, as he is the perfect half in/half out link between the contest and the spread. Also I think Gus, Harmes, Jones, AVB, and even Trac and Clarry (if he ever realises he is allowed to kick the ball) could be the player off the back of the square and hit that centre clearance hard.

Also very noticeable at the ground, Tomlinsons running patterns. He gets into some really good places. Didn't get used as often as he deserved to i didnt think, but once he learns to play with us, and we get used to actually having players making space i think he will become very valuable, especially on the wide space of the G.

Also, Jackson is a freak athletically for his age and size, and also seems really competitive. If he has even a modicum of skill he will be a very good player in time. As a ruckman he still needs to find the balance between chasing the ball and covering his opponent. A couple of times when he was in the ruck he started chasing the ball and his opponent started pushing forward and it cost us. Kozzy still needs to build the fitness, he gassed out hard a couple of times on chases, but even though he looked like he was going to collapse he still busted his arse to try and lay a tackle. Once his fitness is that of an AFL player, he will cause some defenders to s**t their pants as they try to escape that press.
yeah awesome, good stuff. As you said, will feel a lot more comfortable when its May as one of the deeper defenders and not OMac.

Tomlinson looks to be a really solid pickup, might've been carrying an injury for the Giants in the finals tbh.

Footy coverage definitely needs better camera angles; its actually really hard to make accurate judgements at times because you just don't see so much on TV. Like that stuff you mentioned about Nev(which is a great choice too with his strength 1 on 1) as the last line in defence; that alleviates one of my major concerns with the forward press.

It's a shame Hunt hasn't come on as a defender, I would love him to replace Hibbo. Think we need just a tad more athleticism behind the footy. Of course positioning is second to none with importance as a defender hence why Huntos has never really come on in a more nuanced defensive role, but teams are going to get through our forward press with the holes it leaves, and when that happens we don't want to be a sitting duck (like we are a bit ATM especially without May).

I love the creativity of those centre bounce tactics. Foxfooty's coverage pointed it out, unfortunately once when we lost the clearance and Chunk didn't stick a tackle on a surging Crows rover. But that creativity is good, although there are guys I'd prefer to use in that role than Chunk and Vanders ATM.

Yep I found that Tomlinson's work rate and running patterns mean that he can always be there for the emergency chop out kick , the one where the umpire has blown to play on and no real target has presented. Tomlinson was always there as a back up if you need to buy more time. Also, he covers the ground really well for someone that is not known to be fast. Half forward flank one moment and then in the back 50 covering transition in the blink of an eye. I think you're right about the G will be interesting to see if he gets more of the ball there.

Good point, although:
- when you say allow the easy kick out; no good team in the league really allows for the opposing team to get past the midfield. I probably need to rewatch the game, but it seems within the press we were still guarding specific zones and hence giving up easy kicks to guys open around 50-60m. I would like us to be able to become more accountable for players whilst still trying to maintain the forward press structure. Excuse the basketball comparison, but I think of Miami Heat's 2-3 zone that easily morphs into man on man defence. I don't like the idea of 6 forwards defending a kick in situated within our own F50 not close to a man; surely those guys could be closer to the midfield area.

View attachment 829039
In this image, Jacko/Nibbler(who is late to get in position and gives up the short kick to no.25)/Tomlinson(I think) are the first line of the press, with Langdon Jones Kozzy the second line. Even with 6 guys in the forward 50, there is a kick to the adelaide player unmarked at the top of the 50.

Another pic where Milera dissects the forward press, getting to that open man I just noted in the above image with ease

View attachment 829044

These are the first two kick-ins of the game. We can work on this of course, but the general principle of putting 6 guys in the forward 50 guarding specific zones with our personnel...I am not sure we are a good enough team to do that. We just don't have enough on field leaders. If we could clone Jakey twice, one to play forward and one to play mids, I reckon we'd be a shot with how well he communicates down back; but I don't trust our guys atm to 1. execute the forward press properly, 2. adjust to teams when they inevitably counter the zone by going right through with short kicks, and 3. our guys to defend 12 vs 12 when other teams inevitably break apart the zone.

When Adelaide finally don't screw up a basic kick, this is what happens:

Adelaide are a young team, only Milera and Laird(who played a bit further up the ground anyway vs us didn't he) can kick in their backline. Vs Sydney with Lloyd Dawson Rampe its a different story. Or vs Richmond with Houli Grimes Vlastuin. Or Brisbane with Birchall Ah Chee Witherden etc. I guess we will see if a) we tweak/improve the press, and b) if we can adapt in game once teams make the blindingly obvious decision vs a forward press and put someone in the middle of the zones, i.e. how you break a zone in basketball, how you break down a low block in football/soccer.

I guess beating crap teams is enough to get us into the finals. And crap teams can't break open a press like this, because their ball use is sloppy. But I can't help but think this forward press is a) too drastic(6 in the fwd line, which other team uses such an extreme press) and b) ill suited to our team(we just don't have guys who can halve contests except Nev, who is getting older, May and ... we've got Salem Hore OMac etc. potentially in one backline.

Good analysis but I will add a few points;

Basketball is far easier to defend because of the court size. Yes there is more footballers on a ground than a basketballers on a court.

The press works, what doesn’t work is players not getting into position and/or over committing to position. Which you pointed out. But the failing to set up correctly is something to coach rather than abandon.

Remember 2018 against hawthorn Goodwin really attacked with the press and wingers and we got pumped. Not long after he played the “goal keeper” on the last line and it worked.

IMO if you relax the forward press and defend the midfield better you open yourself up to easier ball movement from the opponents. Likewise you can’t overload 12 players in the forward 30-40m where the player can kick over the line.

Footy coverage definitely needs better camera angles; its actually really hard to make accurate judgements at times because you just don't see so much on TV. Like that stuff you mentioned about Nev(which is a great choice too with his strength 1 on 1) as the last line in defence; that alleviates one of my major concerns with the forward press.

My one concern with Nev is his lack of pace to play that role. Against most sides he will be fine, but with someone like Collingwood with Elliott, De Goey and Stephenson who are all quick, good on the ground and good in the air, he could be exploited still. But if we can work out a system to cover them, i don't think there will be too many occasions Nev gets his pants pulled down.

Agree about Hunt. Unfortunately, he could see himself off the list end of his next contract if something doesn't change, especially if Rivers can develop. We do need a plan B for Hibberd though in my opinion, as time seems to be catching up with him real quick.

I thought Jones and AVB were good choices to play the role, they effectively came in with a head full of steam to be an additional inside mid, with one of the starting mids becoming the outside. I remember the Jones missed tackle, it wasn't a great look, but overall the setup worked quite well. I feel it will only be better with Max in the middle as opposed to Weed and Jackson as they got out muscled by O'brien particularly easy.

The other thing i noticed about Kozzy that i didnt mention, was how he got on the move at forward 50 stoppages. Its been a long time since we had a forward who did that naturally. The idea of Max palming the ball down from a throw in inside 50 into Kozzy's lap is enough to just about give me wood.

Good points. What I see our problem is we are good at keeping the ball in the press but make poor choices for targets when we get possession or simply kick inaccurately. Basic silly mistakes.
Yes, we’ve never had great efficiency from F50 entries with poor midfield entires and poor fwd structure / leading patterns.

Are they any logical explanations for being so bad at the G?
We have had a good inside game for a few seasons, but been fairly ordinary on the spread (movement away from stoppage), as well as defending space- especially out the back.

With Tomlinson and langdon, this really does move in the right direction- Tomlinson especially will be crucial to this. Watching live, we always get sucked in 15-20m too close to the play. These great runners help, as they're also fairly smart on where to go as well as when. If our on ballers and half forwards can do similar, I suspect we will play the mcg far better going forward.

That was one of the better games that year though from a standard point of view.

Excellent game of footy. Tmac and Hawkins at each end, pretty open and attacking game and an after the siren finish

We have had a good inside game for a few seasons, but been fairly ordinary on the spread (movement away from stoppage), as well as defending space- especially out the back.

With Tomlinson and langdon, this really does move in the right direction- Tomlinson especially will be crucial to this. Watching live, we always get sucked in 15-20m too close to the play. These great runners help, as they're also fairly smart on where to go as well as when. If our on ballers and half forwards can do similar, I suspect we will play the mcg far better going forward.

Really confounding that one of our biggest issues apparently comes down to players being undisciplined. That’s on Goody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was one of the better games that year though from a standard point of view.

Excellent game of footy. Tmac and Hawkins at each end, pretty open and attacking game and an after the siren finish
Yeah oath, was a ripping game of footy to watch. So was the RD1 loss against them aswell.

Honestly preferred those losses than any of our wins last year.

Harmes is playing down back to accommodate for Trac, Trac is apparently ahead of Vines in the centre bounce rotation too based on the weekend. Our first choice midfield will be Clarry, Trac, Gus.

Passes eye test too. Trac has fantastic vision in tight spots, and can break tackles too which is super valuable. Always had great eye for footy at ground level(hence why we used him fairly deep last year, because noone else could win the footy at ground level inside 50), but this year finally has the fitness to do all the defensive work too.

Trac no doubt will rest forward some. But he will play plenty of mid. Been in my SC side since it opened for 2020.

so where does viney play predominantly? Still midfield? does he go to the wing at times or forward? Seems to have low Tog too.

so where does viney play predominantly? Still midfield? does he go to the wing at times or forward? Seems to have low Tog too.
He's historically had low TOG as he's not done a solid preseason in about 5 years. He hasn't missed a lot this year at all, so hopefully thst translates to higher TOG and not being hidden as much as he was.

Personally I expect him to have an absolute cracking year. A lot of our supporters and the wider footy community have written him off, but 3 or 4 years ago he played some really good footy for us in teams far less talented than what we have now.

He's historically had low TOG as he's not done a solid preseason in about 5 years. He hasn't missed a lot this year at all, so hopefully thst translates to higher TOG and not being hidden as much as he was.

Personally I expect him to have an absolute cracking year. A lot of our supporters and the wider footy community have written him off, but 3 or 4 years ago he played some really good footy for us in teams far less talented than what we have now.

I don't see it. It's impossible to have 4 high ball winning contested midfielders. If anyone can think of a team with them then I'm listening but it doesn't work.

Oliver Viney Brayshaw and Petracca can't all have good years at the same time IMO unless they can learn to rest forward and do damage.

Vineys fall away has coincided with good years from Tyson, Brayshaw, Oliver etc. If those guys win the ball then Vineys completely useless in general play. He doesn't spread, doesn't rest forward and doesn't set up play.

Viney's game on the weekend is the blueprint going forward for him imo

10+ tackles a game, playing the defensive side/position at the stoppages. Perhaps even a hard tag on their better midfielder. Bring that aggression to every stoppage and make room for Oliver/Trac/Braysh whilst looking to hurt one of their players if they get their hands on it. Link up and run hard to make an option to make them accountable.

I don't see it. It's impossible to have 4 high ball winning contested midfielders. If anyone can think of a team with them then I'm listening but it doesn't work.

Oliver Viney Brayshaw and Petracca can't all have good years at the same time IMO unless they can learn to rest forward and do damage.

Vineys fall away has coincided with good years from Tyson, Brayshaw, Oliver etc. If those guys win the ball then Vineys completely useless in general play. He doesn't spread, doesn't rest forward and doesn't set up play.
The two that spring to mind, although technically these guys were being rotated through and not all in there at once.

Gary Ablett junior, Joel Selwood, Joel Corey, Jimmy Bartell.

Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Shane Crawford, Jordan Lewis.

The two that spring to mind, although technically these guys were being rotated through and not all in there at once.

Gary Ablett junior, Joel Selwood, Joel Corey, Jimmy Bartell.

Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Shane Crawford, Jordan Lewis.
You just named 2 good midfields mate. The hawks were the worst in the competition at contested footy.

Hodge played in defence mostly and Mitchell was a playmaker not an inside mid. Crawford an endurance runner. Only Lewis was an inside mid and he was a beautiful kick.

The cats, yeah Selwood and Corey were inside but GAJ was everything and could kick goals going forward same as Bartel

I'm not saying I expect him to get 35+ every week, but as you and others have said, if he's playing as a defensive mid/negating etc. He can still have a good year in a role like that. Especially if it allows our better extractors to get involved in petracca and oliver.

I think we will see Oliver and petracca mix inside 50/on ball at times, and similar to brayshaw swapping with The likes of Vandenberg, sparrow and dunkley as that high half forward, depending on who of those are picked..

Viney really should be modelling his game on Dion Prestia. Prestia has overcome his own injury battles early on, and plays a much safer game now. He doesn't look to bite off more than he can chew, he gets the ball in space and uses it above average. He is also fairly strong at the contest. If viney can use his better preseason to effect, and get to more open space for some easier footy, his numbers will improve. Hopefully he starts to make some more "easy" passing to teammates as opposed to trying to take on everyone.

I'm far more worried of brayshaw having a big season than viney as that 3rd mid tbh.

Don't forget how good Viney was in our two finals wins in 2018, coming off a long injury stint.

Some of his tackling/2nd and 3rd efforts in the contest were 'uge. Coming in against Geelong to lay an insane amount of tackles in the first half when the game was on the line (big tackles too, which hurt the other player and swing momentum)

That play against hawthorn on our forward flank/50m? I found some commentary of it online

"How did he do that? It’s pinballing around on Melbourne’s half-forward line, with smothers and strips and scrambles. Viney ends up with it, destined to be gang tackled. But somehow he spins, steps, dodges, and in the end evades three Hawks, getting the ball onto his good left boot a split second before being crunched. It floats across the face of goal, Brayshaw backs into the contest, gets a hand up to slap the ball out of the air, then clutches it to his chest falling backwards. His set shot is home, and Melbourne might just about be home themselves. Are they in the preliminary final?"

Pretty big play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back