Autopsy Marsh Community Series Week 2 Geelong v Essendon Monday March 9th 4:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I'm far from convinced we're a contender, but we're a top 8 side everyday of the week (possibly top 4) and you just can't take anything out of these meaningless pre-season games. Nothing I've seen in these two games has be massively worried.

Maybe for a change we're going to build slowly, not reveal all of our cards early and peak when it counts? We will beat both GC and Essendon during the season, I'm fairly confident in saying that. We will do enough early on to bank enough wins IMO. We just have to manage some key players, get them back to full fitness and win ugly early.

Jack Steven was a massive positive today. Miers and Narkle are coming along nicely, and look to continue to develop and take their games to a new level. All of a sudden we have some dangerous small forwards to lock the ball in and they will be dangerous when the ball hits the deck.

Mission accomplished.

My take
- Steven is good but will be limited to 60% game time if he’s a mid.
- Two tall forwards only please
- Tuohy looked better again
- Fort is a chance to play ahead of Stanley
- Menegola is the big injury worry out of the game. Could be just a bruised shoulder/ribs, hopefully not a serious shoulder injury.
- Slow style out of the backline is frustrating and not needed with Clark, Tuohy and Stewart.
- Nobody has put there hand up. Same team as last year with Steven instead of Kelly. Improvement will need to come from fringe players within the 22.

Last edited:
Missed the game being at work but seems Mr Steven played a blinder - 26 disposals from 65% TOG is a reasonable effort.

Any worthwhile observations that people think are important?
Disposal was deplorable, not just from the usual suspects either, but around the board. Looked like half the team hadn't kicked a footy for 6 months.

2 very different game styles. Thought our 2 trailer park girls slow and steady might get the Bombers when they stuffed up.
But they didn't as much as expected.
When the lights were only shining on one side in the last it made it more congested and suited us.
Miers is a bloody great player. He really thinks.
Obviously different players but watching him and Danger is like chalk and cheese in regards to decision making.
If you only saw last years prelim and the preseason games you'd think he was our best player by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take
- Steven is good but will be limited to 60% game time if he’s a mid.
- Two tall forwards only please
- Tuohy looked better again
- Fort is a chance to play ahead of Stanley
- Menegola is the big injury worry out of the game. Could be just a bruised shoulder/ribs, hopefully not a serious shoulder injury.
- Slow style out of the backline is frustrating and not needed with Clark, Tuohy and Stewart.
- Nobody has put there hand up. Same team as last year with Steven instead of Kelly. Improvement will need to come from fringe players within the 22.
Solid input

Menegola is borderline best 22 for mine

I expect us to be 1-4 to start the year, and that's not a knee jerk reaction to these 2 games.
I just think we have a brutal start to the year and against teams looking to make a statement, while we will likely not be primed to start the year (like we were last year).
I think the fact the Cats were able to nearly steal the game in the last quarter by lifting their defensive efforts a lot, showed the first three quarters were not played with any realistic effort, and I suspect that was how the coaches told them to play—bruise free. This really was one of those bullshit preseason games.

Disposal was deplorable, not just from the usual suspects either, but around the board. Looked like half the team hadn't kicked a footy for 6 months.
Essendon aren't much chop.
2 very different game styles. Thought our 2 trailer park girls slow and steady might get the Bombers when they stuffed up.
But they didn't as much as expected.
When the lights were only shining on one side in the last it made it more congested and suited us.
Miers is a bloody great player. He really thinks.
Obviously different players but watching him and Danger is like chalk and cheese in regards to decision making.
If you only saw last years prelim and the preseason games you'd think he was our best player by a mile.
Thanks!

will we ever be able to have a list that is a legit chance? I get the feeling our lists quality will never be good enough in your eyes to win it. I can quite work out how we can be good enough to be on top of the ladder, yet not good enough to win it. How we can be good enough to be ahead at 1/2 time in a PF but not good enough to win it. To me a jockey can mess up a quick horse but he cant make a slow horse run quick.
True, we will NEVER replicate the lists we had 07-11.
Even then we could not win 08, 10.
I don't expect to see a Cats team of that quality again- could we pinch one? Who knows, but given how hard they are to win, and that we have to be that much better than Tigers, Hawks and Pies to win a flag at the G, and that we did not win 08, I seriously doubt it.
And if you believed we were truly a worthy 11-1 team at rd 12 last year, then we disagree.
The 5-5 after that gave us 16-6, so we finished on top.
If you thought we were flag favourites because we fell into top spot, fine.

Just on the the curtain raiser.

SDK really impressed me with his ability to think his way through things and then execute. Good overhead, very good kick, clean on the ground and some quick hands stuff. I think this is another first round pick that has hit the target.

Cooper Stephens took time to get into the game but finished well. Need to see more.

Jarvis played the best game I have seen him play. Two big marks plus a couple more regulation overheads. Involved more than usual too. Has a powerful kick. Could be a third tall option if he repeats this effort a few more times in the early part of the year and gets his disposal numbers up further. Like to see a bit more urgency.

Fogarty played which is a bonus. Not much to report had little impact.

Evans did a few nice things that might get on the highlight clip. Didn't look out of place - a pass for his first public effort.

Not a lot from Tarca or Taheny.

Schlensog got involved and used his big frame well to take a few nice grabs. Better below his knees. Played in defence and will be an important cog back there this year in the VFL. Next year ? but his curve is upward.

Big turnover of Non AFL listed players at half time. Must still be finalising the list.

Kreuger must be on ice!

Last edited:

SDK really impressed me with his ability to think his way through things and then execute. Good overhead, very good kick, clean on the ground and some quick hands stuff. I think this is another first round pick that has hit the target.

Cooper Stephens took time to get into the game but finished well. Need to see more.

Jarvis played the best game I have seen him play. Two big marks plus a couple more regulation overheads. Involved more than usual too. Has a powerful kick. Could be a third tall option if he repeats this effort a few more times in the early part of the year and gets his disposal numbers up further. Like to see a bit more urgency.

Evans did a few nice things that might get on the highlight clip. Didn't look out of place - a pass for his first public effort.

Schlensog got involved and used his big frame well to take a few nice grabs. Better below his knees. Played in defence and will be an important cog back there this year in the VFL. Next year ? but his curve is upward.

Big turnover of Non AFL listed players at half time. Must still be finalising the list.
Real positive for SDK then, and the development from the Schlog sounds good.

Disappointing on Tarca and Taheny. Probably Tarcas last shot this year.

In 2011 they played a game style that they started to develop in 2010 when Bomber was the coach but decided then not to use it because it still needed work. That flag was not won on CS's coaching alone. Yet I'm not saying CS didn't add a few of his own tweaks to it. But even CS said at the time he only assisted them in playing a style that was already in place. This has been stated clearly in most of the player autobiographies published post-2011 too.

The failure of 2019 (and several other finals series preceding that) is purely on CS's head, IMO. He has rebuilt the team and put his brand on it now. He has to take the blame if the team fails.

Purely CS?
Disagree heaps.
He had no choice but to rebuild the team, and what he is guilty of is getting this cobbled list to continually overachieve.
Of course, he is coach, and has massive input and responsibility, but the list is not his fault.

It’s going to be a tediously boring season if the Cats persist with this slow short chipping game
Early March. We are neither fit enough or primed enough to display our true style of play for 2020.
With many important players having interrupted presseasons, we may well be struggling for early season wins, but that doesn't mean we can't come home with a surge of wins. Not that i expect us to, but it's definitely possible, and what we have seen so far is irrelevant.

On the main game.

Agree that Miers is becoming influential and now easily in top dozen players.

Ruck efforts were ordinary against a journeyman.

Not much evidence of anything new in terms of ball movement. 3 goals each at half time says it all. Like pulling teeth.

Best news was Narkle. He is beginning to excite me. Got lots of possessions and had his hands on it many more times. Always where the ball was - in and under. Nearly everything he did was under lots of pressure and he made some mistakes but as he gains experience he should convert more of the half chances he creates into clean possessions. Looks fit at last.

Kreuger must be on ice!
Sorry I couldn’t disagree more on Taheny, used the ball beautifully off half back with his long left foot, took a few good marks and for someone who has only played as a forward I thought he was fantastic
Also on the GFC website he was named in our best. Fog was named 2nd best but I agree with you, he was good but far from great.
I loved SDK pressure when the ball hit the ground, for a big kid he doesn’t give up

Watched VFL highlights yesterday + Parsons played well, BUT, is purely VFL standard. Yet, he throws nervy turns + tantrums, demanding to play AFL. So ‘they’ pander to him 🙄🙄🙄

Explain please..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back