Autopsy Marsh Community Series Week 2 Geelong v Essendon Monday March 9th 4:40 pm

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
If Parfitt isn't quick I'd love to know how he chased down Saad.

Pace is the most overhyped thing in football discourse, and it's invoked beyond the point of becoming meaningless. If Geelong played a quicker, more direct style you would think the players faster. It is our deliberate approach to attack that is the lens people view the team through, nothing more.
Rohan is quick as hell but i would take Selwood/Ling/Bartel etc over him none of which are or were quick

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
cockatoo might as well be living in the Bermuda triangle such are his fitness issues and Menegola is easily best 22.

ridiculous statement. Usually your posting is quality, but this is dribble. Best 22. No way Menegola plays midfield/high half forward. As mentioned, his issue is his horrendous decision making and his disposal under pressure. There are realistically 10 mod/half forward spots at most any week. With no injuries, there is no way he is picked ahead of
1.dangerfield
2. Selwood
3. Duncan
4. Steven
5. Narkle
6. Tuohy
7. Parfitt
8. Ablett
9. Guthrie
10. Miers
11. Rohan
12. Cockatoo
13. Dahlhaus

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Rohan is quick as hell but i would take Selwood/Ling/Bartel etc over him none of which are or were quick

Yes.
Rohan is an enigma (for me anyway). He has every "tool". Nice size , Very quick, good overhead, beautiful kick, good tackler. But he plays like he can't sort out what he is supposed to do.

In the first quarter yesterday he flew for at least two maybe three overhead marks in opposition to ....Esava. He grabbed one during the afternoon but probably spoilt three other marking attempts by other big forwards (and that was just in my quarter of the ground) might have been more at the other end.
He should only fly when he is NOT in a pack. In fact he should be on a hard lead when any long kicks are to come in from 80-55m out. It is basic 101 for mine. Hit up.
A good lead would be hard to stop and if its to the right place he gets the pass. At least he takes a defender away from the pack and can turn to gather the spills of the pack.

The coaches at Sydney and Geelong must have not worked this one out and tried to pass it on.

Jarvis must be thinking there is a spot right there for me. Krueger the missing link will also be champing at the bit ........ if he can find his footy boots.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Menegola is campaigner at best. Perhaps he is best 22 at the moment but not a lock. We really we want younger players like Narkle and Chook pushing him out.

He can find the ball ok but his vision, decision making and ball use is lacking IMO.

Having said that he started to change my mind a bit with a couple good finals performances last year so I havn't completely written him off yet.
I agree, especially the first sentence.
Like you he did surprise me by not being completely terrible in finals last year.
He's a player who's always played for himself but that may have changed now that everyone's twigged to him.

ridiculous statement. Usually your posting is quality, but this is dribble. Best 22. No way Menegola plays midfield/high half forward. As mentioned, his issue is his horrendous decision making and his disposal under pressure. There are realistically 10 mod/half forward spots at most any week. With no injuries, there is no way he is picked ahead of
1.dangerfield
2. Selwood
3. Duncan
4. Steven
5. Narkle
6. Tuohy
7. Parfitt
8. Ablett
9. Guthrie
10. Miers
11. Rohan
12. Cockatoo
13. Dahlhaus
Regardless of what you think of him, the coaches clearly love Menegola - he finished 9th in the B&F in 2018 and was rushed back into the side after an extended injury break last year, and then played for the rest of the season despite being below par. He would absolutely be in their best team ahead of the Narkle, Parfitt, Rohan and Cockatoo.

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Regardless of what you think of him, the coaches clearly love Menegola - he finished 9th in the B&F in 2018 and was rushed back into the side after an extended injury break last year, and then played for the rest of the season despite being below par. He would absolutely be in their best team ahead of the Narkle, Parfitt, Rohan and Cockatoo.

no way he’s in ahead of any of them if those guys are fit. I’d bet my left nut on it.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You are probably right about Taheny. I hope so any way. I found looking for Evans and Taheny difficult. If Taheny did his best work on defensive flank on entrance side I would have missed it!

Beats me how Fog got in the bests.

What did you think of No.79? ( Chook playing incognito)?
I thought he was good, again good but not a stand out, lands some hard tackles and rewarded for all his effort.
Watching that though you can understand why he didn’t get a gig in the seniors.
On Evans it took me about half a quarter to figure out which one was him, I also thought Tarca was that tough little annoying forward who did some nice things before he hurt his shoulder

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Hey guys... Just a few questions on yesterday game, as I was no where near the TV and only reading comments on here..
Can someone please tell why Constable wasn't picked where Parsons was?

And Knights said that the ruck selection is going to be hard to pick against the Giants, is Fort a chance?

And who did the rucking in the 2s?
Cheers I'll buy you a beer if you answer the questions.

1.dangerfield
2. Selwood
3. Duncan
4. Steven
5. Narkle
6. Tuohy
7. Parfitt
8. Ablett
9. Guthrie
10. Miers
11. Rohan
12. Cockatoo
13. Dahlhaus

his decision making is fine especially considering how bad the rest of the team are at it. his disposal is ok without being great (an issue across our list) and his ball winning is A grade. his performances the last 2 years outrank at least a dozen guys we played yesterday. including cockatoo in that list is also kinda dumb when he is perennially injured and unproven.

the only reason you would ever not play Menegola in the best 22 is team balance (needing less ball hunters which we have lots of and more run and carry ball users instead) but id only do that if we had enough quality ball use outside runners on the list to justify the change and we don't IMO. on ability and output he is best 22 every week.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
My 'hopeful' take on the preseason performances so far is that the powers that be thought we peaked a little early last year. By the time we got to the pointy end, game style ( such as it was ) had been worked out, and our cohort of ageing players were running on fumes. Perhaps our pre season performances reflect this.
Also we played 2 teams that, due to underperformance last year, had something to prove and were up for the challenge, whereas we were in 'bruise free' mode.
I will reserve judgement. Expecting a few significant losses in the early part of the season as well..

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys... Just a few questions on yesterday game, as I was no where near the TV and only reading comments on here..
Can someone please tell why Constable wasn't picked where Parsons was?

And Knights said that the ruck selection is going to be hard to pick against the Giants, is Fort a chance?

And who did the rucking in the 2s?
Cheers I'll buy you a beer if you answer the questions.

That alone is a fascinating question. I'd be prepared to put a lot more games into Constable. Apparently no one at the club is though.

As for the ruck, I think Fort is a small chance. I will say, as limited as he is, at least he's a ruckman. But given our club's record of having each way bets in every area of the ground, I suspect it'll be Hawkins up forward, with Stanley rucking and Jenkins / Ratagolea taking turns in relieving him. Not sure Jenkins is really a ruckman, not sure it's good for the development of Sav (he doesn't get anywhere near enough of the ball to begin with). But that looks the most likely to me.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
his decision making is fine especially considering how bad the rest of the team are at it. his disposal is ok without being great (an issue across our list) and his ball winning is A grade. his performances the last 2 years outrank at least a dozen guys we played yesterday. including cockatoo in that list is also kinda dumb when he is perennially injured and unproven.

the only reason you would ever not play Menegola in the best 22 is team balance (needing less ball hunters which we have lots of and more run and carry ball users instead) but id only do that if we had enough quality ball use outside runners on the list to justify the change and we don't IMO. on ability and output he is best 22 every week.
The way I look at the list Sam is still best 22 or roundabout,we have Danger Selwood Duncan Steven Miers Ablett clearly better, two in Narkle and Parfitt with up side both getting around his mark and will be selected before Sam,Tuohy's a back and Cocky needs to get games under his belt to even join the conversation,This is where I reckon Sam comes in with Rohan Dollshouse and Guthrie.And that's assuming a full list.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
My 'hopeful' take on the preseason performances so far is that the powers that be thought we peaked a little early last year. By the time we got to the pointy end, game style ( such as it was ) had been worked out, and our cohort of ageing players were running on fumes. Perhaps our pre season performances reflect this.
Also we played 2 teams that, due to underperformance last year, had something to prove and were up for the challenge, whereas we were in 'bruise free' mode.
I will reserve judgement. Expecting a few significant losses in the early part of the season as well..

The problem with that of course is that those aging players are all still there, and they're now six months older.

It isn't necessarily any problem that we lost both matches. It could be a big problem that we still rely on the same core group - Hawkins, Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Duncan etc.

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
The problem with that of course is that those aging players are all still there, and they're now six months older.

It isn't necessarily any problem that we lost both matches. It could be a big problem that we still rely on the same core group - Hawkins, Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Duncan etc.
I think we have another Gary Ayres on our hands.

That alone is a fascinating question. I'd be prepared to put a lot more games into Constable. Apparently no one at the club is though.

As for the ruck, I think Fort is a small chance. I will say, as limited as he is, at least he's a ruckman. But given our club's record of having each way bets in every area of the ground, I suspect it'll be Hawkins up forward, with Stanley rucking and Jenkins / Ratagolea taking turns in relieving him. Not sure Jenkins is really a ruckman, not sure it's good for the development of Sav (he doesn't get anywhere near enough of the ball to begin with). But that looks the most likely to me.
Against sauce Jacobs I wouldn’t mind giving Fort a chance based on yesterday. I think Jenkins should miss.

Rohan is a tease. I would play him round 1, but wouldn’t be so patient with him this year. He is not the only one in that boat of course....

Jan 3, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Our depth is lacking big time. We really need an injury free run to be a chance at top 4 again.
One of the main things I was looking for was a change in game plan, there was a lot of chat about taking the game on more.... didn't see that.
Also how would the three talls go in the same forward line but I don't even think they trialed that at all for some reason.
Worrying signs but won't jump to conclusions yet, first few rounds will reveal all.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
After another off-season/pre-season this is exactly what you want to hear just over a week out from the season starting up.

Knights described the Cats' ruck selection dilemma for the opening clash against Greater Western Sydney as "hazy".

"It doesn't make it any clearer at this stage, two or three days before GWS we're going to have to solve that riddle," Knights said.

"Esava did a bit today which was good, he hasn't done any ruck work up to this point in match practice but he did 12-14 minutes in the first half. It's pretty tight that one."

What are the chances we see a Sav with no ruck practice all preseason + Blitz combo? 🤣

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Against sauce Jacobs I wouldn’t mind giving Fort a chance based on yesterday. I think Jenkins should miss.
Fort was ok against Gold Coast and I thought Jenkins gave us something in Colac around the ground in his half game.Jenkins for me but we may need pace v GWS and Rohan might get the nod with the rucks being Stanley and Ratugolea.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)

Thank you.. You have 10 min to collect your beer lol. Thanks

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
After another off-season/pre-season this is exactly what you want to hear just over a week out from the season starting up.

No matter how poor our footy has been in the two preseason games, this latest gem from the MC about a 'hazy' outlook regarding the ruck role is by far the most worrying aspect for me.

Fort will be utterly slaughtered by any AFL-quality ruck going even reasonably well. Whereas Rhys has logged creditable performances at one time or another against pretty much all the big-name rucks in the comp over recent years.

The idea that it's actually a genuine contest between the two of them as to who is more capable is completely laughable in my view.

Still, I thought that playing Blitz on the wing or in the ruck during the 2019 finals series was laughable as well.

So it could be time for me to get used to plenty of mirthless snorting if this keeps up.

Back