Game Day Marsh Community Series - West Coast vs Essendon Thursday Feb 27 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

By the end of this season, the Eagles will have hosted 12 Thursday games in home and away or finals history.

Six have been against Essendon. Insane fixture.
I know. We'd have played 5 games against West Coast (all in WA) since the introduction of Optus Oval in 2018 (including this preseason game) and literally all of them are on a Thursday night. Why the weird obsession? At least make one in Vic for a change lol.

Also if I am correct, all H&A games were in June. I think they may have all been round 14 except a couple. Possibly one in round 15 and round 13 this year. How imaginative.

I know. We'd have played 5 games against West Coast (all in WA) since the introduction of Optus Oval in 2018 (including this preseason game) and literally all of them are on a Thursday night. Why the weird obsession? At least make one in Vic for a change lol.

Also if I am correct, all H&A games were in June. I think they may have all been round 14 except a couple. Possibly one in round 15 and round 13 this year. How imaginative.

Weirdly it's the closest thing West Coast has to a permanent fixture. Maybe it's the Worsfold connect.

I'm not opposed to it becoming a thing, share it around. 2018 notwithstanding - God that was horrible.

Our last 6 Home games against Essendon have been in June

2020 - Thursday, June 11

2019 - Thursday, June 20

2018 - Thursday, June 21

2016 - Thursday, June 30

2015 - Saturday, June 13

2013 - Thursday, June 27

Worsfold wants long weekends in WA. Doubt this game happens on Thursday in 2021.

When is the team lineup being released?

Teams for Hawthorn and St Kilda who played last Thursday were released on the Wednesday

So I guess we find out tomorrow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was mention of him being ready to maybe play a half.
Harvey confirmed that Hurley would play 70-80% game time. Heppell got the screw taken out last week from his foot so I doubt he will play. Seemed hopeful that McDonald-Tipungwuti, Bellechambers and co should be right for round 1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200225-180303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200225-180303_Chrome.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 64
Tim Watson said the Irish fella wouldn't play at all this season and then an undoubtedly dodgy rumour fired up that he was in rehab in Ireland. 😳

WEST Coast star Nic Naitanui has been named to play his first pre-season game in four years when the Eagles take on Essendon in Thursday night's Marsh Community Series clash at Mineral Resources Park.

The Eagles will also get their first look at Tim Kelly the Eagle in competitive action, with the former Geelong star set to pair with Naitanui in the centre square after a superb pre-season.

The Eagles will take on an Essendon outfit missing best 22 players Joe Daniher, Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker, Adam Saad and Jake Stringer for the trip west.

Key defender Michael Hurley will captain the team, with international rookie Cian McBride the only draftee named.

Naitanui, whose past four seasons have been ruined by injury, will play his 12th pre-season game, and his first since 2016.

Tim Kelly will have his first run in Eagles colours on Thursday night. Picture: AFL Photos
Like Kelly, the game-breaking ruckman has barely put a foot wrong this summer, albeit on a carefully managed program after two serious knee injuries in the past three seasons.

The Eagles have also selected Tom Hickey, Nathan Vardy and Bailey Williams, who is yet to debut, on their bench as the trio battle for the second ruck position in round one.

Jake Stringer at Essendon's training camp on the Sunshine Coast in January. Picture: Getty Images
Naitanui will square off against Essendon list hopeful Brynn Teakle, who has been named by the Bombers as he pushes to win a rookie spot during the Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period.

Strong squad. Bodes well to get the minutes to some key members of the squad.

Looking forward to Brander dominating at CHF & the wing.

Also looking to see how Treacey goes. He realistically could be right up in the round 1 Mix if he has a good month.

Can never have too many rucks... That said, I understand they want to take a look at all of them in combo with Nick and give each a run. Will be good to see who offers the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back