Game Day Marsh Community Series - West Coast vs Essendon Thursday Feb 27 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

Let him dominate a few games in the WAFL first, he needs to demand selection which to date, he has never really done.

The kid has potential, but I definitely don't think he is a walk up starter for round 1 of the season proper

A bit rough...Brander was BOG for the Beagles numerous times last year IMO.

Only worrying ting for me in a scratch match was the obvious gulf between the A team and the B team players.

Yup top post

This is what worries me as well.....our good players are very good...but lets face it our b grade players are very very average

I fear if we have injuries to our good players we will not have the depth in our squad to compete

Let him dominate a few games in the WAFL first, he needs to demand selection which to date, he has never really done.

The kid has potential, but I definitely don't think he is a walk up starter for round 1 of the season proper

Like we did with Tim Kelly....?

As Tim Kelly himself said, it's easier to play in the AFL than it is in the WAFL because you're surrounded by guys who can kick the footy.

I don't see any benefit of keeping Brander in the 2's anymore. He's served his time. Lets get him going in the real deal asap!

Hello brethren.

I am here on a slightly off topic subject, but if anyone could direct me to the appropriate thread for watching AFL from overseas that would be great (I tried searching and got no results).

I was very surprised yesterday when the Telstra app let me watch the 3rd quarter of the game live. I recall reading somewhere in here that it did not work overseas (I don't even have my Telstra SIM card in the phone anymore).

Is this going to be an option all season for me to watch live and watch replays on my phone?

Otherwise I have vague recollections of people writing about using a VPN and watching on some channel 7 website?

Then of course is the "watch AFL" website powered by fox, which gives me the advantage of not knowing scores and watching on my laptop, but it is costly.

So if anyone remembers where all this was discussed that would be much appreciated if I could have the link for further reading. As it stands now in preseason the AFL app is letting me watch live as well as all the replays but I'm unsure if this will last.

Thanks to any with information :)

Ps: won't be posting as much this year due to travels but want to be watching the team still, and will probably be lurking the pros and cons threads!
IMO, your best two options are to either subscribe to watchAFL which will cost about $180 per year.
It's cheaper to get it through the club rather than the website itself.

Or you can get yourself a VPN and subscribe to Kayo.
Kayo will cost you $25 P/M plus whatever your VPN costs.

You will be able to access Fox Footy shows on both of them.

Brander is gonna be a very long term prospect, let’s be real. People expecting too much from him still IMO. His clean hands in the wet was enough of a positive for me, but still miles off

It felt like a 2019 game - lots to like & I love watching the players go about it, but the opposition seems free to go about their business and always looks dangerous while the Eagles’ ball movement seems so laborious.

They deployed the classic counter-WCE strategy. Switch the ball to the fat side of the ground, out-run us in space, and finally kick into a 1-1 that doesn't involve our elite intercepters chopping off the kick. Rinse & repeat.

IMO, your best two options are to either subscribe to watchAFL which will cost about $180 per year.
It's cheaper to get it through the club rather than the website itself.

Or you can get yourself a VPN and subscribe to Kayo.
Kayo will cost you $25 P/M plus whatever your VPN costs.

You will be able to access Fox Footy shows on both of them.
This. I subscribe through an overseas Eagles membership which I thought was cheaper than direct through the AFL but is seems to have cost me $190. But to watch every game for the whole year, being able to replay them whenever you want and also having the various footy shows to watch (if you like that kind of thing, which I personally don't), the watch AFL pass is money well spent. I like to think of it as if it keeps me out of the pub a couple of times a year where I would otherwise go to watch the footy, it pays for itself.

You can use it through your computer on the website or download the app onto your TV from the relevant app store, depending on what TV you have etc.

A bit rough...Brander was BOG for the Beagles numerous times last year IMO.

That's true, but it was a good game here, a good game there.........there was always some distance between them. This kid has the talent to be able to tear apart the WAFL. The problem is that he doesn't. Yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-Treacy? No.
-Ah Chee? Depth.
-Brander did look quite composed at times but for his size i'm ...mmmmm!
-contrary to a lot of people i thought Vardy went in really hard.Not a game for big fellas but gee i like his attack on the contest.
-Big Bailey looked good.I wonder if hes bulked up too much? I think hes behind Vardy at the moment.I would play him as a key forward in a few away games and rest JK.
-NN got through..Phew!
-TK is silk.
-Honestly im just in awe of Shuey.Hes just become the complete footballer.
-Ive been a big Watson advocate but ill tell you now;this kid should NOT be played in defence.Brander should go back and Frankie should play wing.
-Waterman impressed me believe it or not.I think hes a WAFL killer but a smidge below AFL standard.Hes a stock standard footballer who gets in the right places a lot of the time.i just think he lacks a bit of flair.Theres daylight between him and OAllen.
-Still it was a good hitout.Essendons short passing was just a forerunner of what everybody will be trying on this year.
-My first footy hangover for 2020.
-

Like we did with Tim Kelly....?

As Tim Kelly himself said, it's easier to play in the AFL than it is in the WAFL because you're surrounded by guys who can kick the footy.

I don't see any benefit of keeping Brander in the 2's anymore. He's served his time. Lets get him going in the real deal asap!

I dunno man, having watched the WAFL there was one thing that stood out in regards to our younger players in the WAFL

When Oscar Allen goes back to the WAFL, he generally dominates
When Petrucelle goes back to the WAFL, he generally dominates
When Waterman goes back to the WAFL, he generally dominates

Hell, even Chris Masten who I absolutely hated would generally rack them up enough in the WAFL to be in the selection frame

Brander, to date, just doesn't do that.

I see what you are saying so maybe the club should take it to task and put the acid him; maybe tell him that they are prepared to give him a block of 5-6 consecutive AFL matches to show his stuff. In the event he underachieves, he will be sent back to the WAFL until such times as he has strung together some AFL calibre performances that warrant selection.

That way, Brander gets games and continuity for his development. He knows what's expected of him. And, he can hardly complain if he gets dropped and doesn't get a recall because his fate is in his own hands.

That sounds like the best course of action for me

Brander is gonna be a very long term prospect, let’s be real. People expecting too much from him still IMO. His clean hands in the wet was enough of a positive for me, but still miles off

It must be hard to make a real name for yourself in the marsh community series when the seniors in your side are just hoping to get through without injury and aren't 100% engaged.

I was hoping for a performance that indicated he was ready to break into best 22. Instead I got a bit of a taste of what he is capable of.

His highlights from the intra club were delicious. I was hoping he would get involved in some nice passages of play and maybe hit the score board with a goal.
Last night's performance was just ok, he didn't do damage like I hoped he would but he did a couple of nice things. At the end of the game I was left wanting more from him.

Brander is the ultimate tease.

My biggest disappointment from last night was the hairdos on a lot of our players. There were some real shockers. Duggan, I'm looking at you. Bailey, big fan but fk me. Frankie, Jets, WTF. One year it's moustaches and the next it's the whole damn head. Disgrace and you all know it.

As for the game, I don't think Vardy was as bad as many said. I thought he was better than last year and showed aggression. That said, that was all he showed. Bailey a fair way ahead in my view. Showed so much more around the ground and want to get games into him.

After a very shaky start, Nelson ended up one of our best defenders. Way ahead of Duggan and Cole at the moment.

Shuey, Kelly, JK and NN - was great to see them get through the game and look good. I thought NN was taking it easy in some passages of play. He pulled up on one or two tackles where he really could have hurt the oppo player which during the season he would have executed.

Brander shows some skills and we need to get games into him but I do worry in those types of conditions we play too tall. Obviously not an issue in a pre-season game but during the season we need to be mindful of this.

Whenever I think Waterman may be the one to miss out, he comes out and shows us he really is a good player. Just not as naturally skillful as Oscar and Brander maybe. Given how much he runs, if Brander isn't on the other wing, I don't see why Waterman couldn't play that role.

Frankie did nothing to suggest he should be in the team round 1. Treacy showed something but his disposal let him down and he didn't show enough. That said, first year player and he looks like he could end up being useful for a rookie player.

Apart from the hairdos, my biggest take away from the game is we really need some zip in a small forward as we miss that Rioli magic. I hope we use the SPP wisely and don't just pick another 'solid' depth player. Take a risk with some x factor on at least one of the spots. It may or may not work but picking Grey or Reid etc seems to serve absolutely no purpose.

I'm finding it hard to believe that people aren't impressed with what Brander was bringing to the side.

He was really bloody composed, competed in the air, made it to lots of good spots, some really clean handling of a slippery ball.

11 touches isn't huge, but it wasn't a quite a full game either. I'll happily take 11 Brander possessions as a defensive winger instead of 20 scrambled Masten touches.

Lock him for rd 1 I reckon
He looked like Darling plodding around on the wing. Looks ok when the ball is in the air. Im just not sure he is agile enough for a winger.

My biggest disappointment from last night was the hairdos on a lot of our players. There were some real shockers. Duggan, I'm looking at you. Bailey, big fan but fk me. Frankie, Jets, WTF. One year it's moustaches and the next it's the whole damn head. Disgrace and you all know it.

As for the game, I don't think Vardy was as bad as many said. I thought he was better than last year and showed aggression. That said, that was all he showed. Bailey a fair way ahead in my view. Showed so much more around the ground and want to get games into him.

After a very shaky start, Nelson ended up one of our best defenders. Way ahead of Duggan and Cole at the moment.

Shuey, Kelly, JK and NN - was great to see them get through the game and look good. I thought NN was taking it easy in some passages of play. He pulled up on one or two tackles where he really could have hurt the oppo player which during the season he would have executed.

Brander shows some skills and we need to get games into him but I do worry in those types of conditions we play too tall. Obviously not an issue in a pre-season game but during the season we need to be mindful of this.

Whenever I think Waterman may be the one to miss out, he comes out and shows us he really is a good player. Just not as naturally skillful as Oscar and Brander maybe. Given how much he runs, if Brander isn't on the other wing, I don't see why Waterman couldn't play that role.

Frankie did nothing to suggest he should be in the team round 1. Treacy showed something but his disposal let him down and he didn't show enough. That said, first year player and he looks like he could end up being useful for a rookie player.

Apart from the hairdos, my biggest take away from the game is we really need some zip in a small forward as we miss that Rioli magic. I hope we use the SPP wisely and don't just pick another 'solid' depth player. Take a risk with some x factor on at least one of the spots. It may or may not work but picking Grey or Reid etc seems to serve absolutely no purpose.
Cameron still to come in

Think you raise a good point here. Waterman definitely isn't the most skilled bloke we have but god damn he doesn't stop running and he makes some very good decisions at times, especially when he is absolutely spent. Was convinced in his early days that he wouldn't make it but very happy to be proved wrong. Really like what I've seen from him since about the half way point last year onwards

Some notes from the game:

- Brander: Started well and has the skills and tank to play wing. Think he was worried about getting injured as i guess he really wants to play in the seniors this year. Willing to let him play round 1 and is a better option than Hutchings on a wing.

- Nic Nat , JK, Hurn, Schoey and Shuey all looking slick.

- Cripps , Duggan, Jetta all looked a bit rusty. Jetta really cost us a couple of goals haha , though i still love his risky kicks.

- Barrass. A little rusty but glad to see he going man on man and winning the contest. Will be integral for when Gov comes back.

- Hutchings and Redden should not be in the team together. Hutchings was a turn over merchant and Redden looked lost but was good with his disposal. Id be having Redden as the defensive mid.

- Kelly took a while to get going but he sure did add another element to our midfield we havent had since cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back