Game Day Marsh Community Series - West Coast vs Essendon Thursday Feb 27 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

7E523A50-F062-4830-B808-A5D6938E8645.png

So the JLT preseason sponsorship lasted long enough for us to learn that random collection of consonants but has come and gone before anyone knew what they actually did. Should have given the money to a rich sporting club in a marginal electorate, what could have gone wrong

We now have the rebadged Marsh Community Series. Sponsoring an AFL preseason competition to curry favour with Victorian sporting fans is a bold strategy for Sean and Mitch. Again, what could go wrong

Accordingly, West Coast kick off their formal preseason preparations with a replay of last seasons pre-finals warmup match against Essendon. Rumours are circulating that the gates at Lathlain might be thrown open for this match so supporters can watch although I’m sceptical

That said, the club has released vision of our intraclub match to whet our appetite for what lies ahead. For those that have missed it in the preseason training thread, feast your eyes on this

Enough preamble, on to what will be the most important game of our year so far. I’m taking 15 minutes into the first quarter for the first “our season is over, fold the club” post to surface

Who will miss :
Yeo and Sheppard get to play for the State of All Star so won’t be playing.
McGovern (Achilles), Darling (cheekbone), Venables (concussion), Rioli (you don’t know already?, have you been living under a rock) and Foley (pubes) have already been ruled out. Allen (ankle?) didn’t play in the intraclub and seems certain to miss with the only question mark being whether the club confirms the injury before or after this match. Rotham (calf) is also questionable after missing the intraclub although the extent of his injury is unclear

JK didn’t play the intraclub but I expect he was held out to keep him fresh for this game

Based on the above my predicted 24 is :

FB : Hurn Schofield Cole
HB : Jetta Barrass Duggan
C : Brander Redden Gaff
HF : Cripps Kennedy Petrucelle
FF : Ryan Waterman Cameron
R : Naitanui Kelly Shuey
INT : Watson Nelson Sheed Hutchings Williams Hickey

It’s a preseason game so I’m not doing matchups as a) I don’t really care and b) there isn’t a b, I really don’t care. And whilst I’d obviously prefer we win, the result is of little consequence so the main thing is what to watch for

What to watch for (bet you didn’t do this paragraph heading coming)

• Kelly watch - TK11 plays his first (sort of) official game in the wings. Plenty of hype surrounding how well he’s been training and fitting in seamlessly with our midfield. We gave a lot to bring him over, I fully expect we’ll see a glimpse of why on Thursday
• Brander the giant wingman - regarded as possibly the best KPP in his draft cohort, we seem to have settled on turning Brander into a wingman for the time being. Results over the preseason have been encouraging so it will be interesting to see how he goes in a competitive match. This is a home game though so every chance he doesn’t get selected
• Ryan and mark of the year - one takeaway from the highlights video was Ryan launching at every high ball that went inside 50. Flyin Ryan gonna be fun to watch
• Naitanui - there’s no better sight for Eagles supporters than the big Fijian in full beast mode. Just want him to get through this match uninjured
• Second ruck - who backs up Nicnat is one of the unanswered questions heading into the season proper. Hickey and Williams will both get an opportunity to audition for the spot
• Mids pushing forward - it should come as no surprise that Kelly is tipped to spend time forward, however Sheed has also been flagged as a mid potentially going forward. Whether any others do similar remains a mystery
• The new Rioli - someone has to replace him so it might as well be Cameron. Can he build on 2019
• Kennedy - was 2019 an aberration or the start of a decline. For the first time in several seasons JK has had a proper preseason with encouraging signs.
• Jetta kicking a football - it’s sublime. Watch for some more examples of why he should be considered the best kick in the comp

Essendon fly across for this game with a number of their best 22 unavailable due to injury so you’d think the Eagles should get the job done. I’m tipping us by 5-6 don’t cares.

Last edited:
Whilst the Bushfire game is important, I am spewing we moved this to Thursday. Would have gone along otherwise.

Eagles should be too strong in this match up - wining by a few who gives a s**t.

Cant wait to see TK11

Be interesting to see how Rotham, Watson and Brander go. I can see more games for those three soon enough. I think Bailey Williams might threaten Vardy's 3rd rank as a ruck forward. Will be interesting to see the next generation coming through.

Will lol if we end up playing in wet weather in February this week. Especially as it's sunny the following day when we were originally playing

I for one look forward to getting smashed by a hungry Essendon who have something to prove this year and reading all the "fold the club/ delist the kids" vs "its only preseason/ remember 2018?" posts that result over the next week.

I for one look forward to getting smashed by a hungry Essendon who have something to prove this year and reading all the "fold the club/ delist the kids" vs "its only preseason/ remember 2018?" posts that result over the next week.
Thursday night game against Essendon - what could go wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny you say that, that's exactly what we're expecting as well, although in reverse. In all seriousness though, I'm expecting something like:

FB: Martin Gleeson - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Aaron Francis
HB: Jordan Ridley - Michael Hurley - Mason Redman
MF: Andrew McGrath - Zachary Merrett - Kyle Langford
HF: Will Snelling- Jake Stringer - Jacob Townsend
FF: Orazio Fantasia - Shaun McKernan - Jayden Laverde
OB: Andrew Phillips - Devon Smith - Dylan Clarke

IC: Darcy Parish - Tom Cutler - Josh Begley - Dyson Heppell
IC: Ned Cahill - Brayden Ham - Matthew Guelfi -Conor McKenna

Although Nick Bryan may get a run in the ruck as well.

More like Brandon Zerg-Hatcher, am I right ZergMinion

latest

Funny you say that, that's exactly what we're expecting as well, although in reverse. In all seriousness though, I'm expecting something like:

FB: Martin Gleeson - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Aaron Francis
HB: Jordan Ridley - Michael Hurley - Mason Redman
MF: Andrew McGrath - Zachary Merrett - Kyle Langford
HF: Will Snelling- Jake Stringer - Jacob Townsend
FF: Orazio Fantasia - Shaun McKernan - Jayden Laverde
OB: Andrew Phillips - Devon Smith - Dylan Clarke

IC: Darcy Parish - Tom Cutler - Josh Begley - Dyson Heppell
IC: Ned Cahill - Brayden Ham - Matthew Guelfi -Conor McKenna

Although Nick Bryan may get a run in the ruck as well.
I don't think he is playing he was in the injury group 6 days ago according to your club website?

I don't think he is playing he was in the injury group 6 days ago according to your club website?
There was mention of him being ready to maybe play a half.

I thought it was more like this:

All the years are blurred from all the Thursday night WA games.

By the end of this season, the Eagles will have hosted 12 Thursday games in home and away or finals history.

Six have been against Essendon. Insane fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back