Review Marsh Community Series - West Coast vs Fremantle Saturday March 7 @ Joondalup 4.10PM WST

F401BD1C-1D92-4618-BD4A-5CA435D11B15.png

After a somewhat disappointing hit out against Essendon in our opening preseason match, our Eagles fly (well sort of) north to take on our nemesis (jokes) of recent seasons, Fremantle who are fresh off a thumping over competition powerhouse (more jokes) Carlton

Like last week the result of this game is largely immaterial in the context of the 2020 season but that won’t stop the inevitable melts that will come should we win by less than 5 goals. If, heaven forbid we lose, there’ll be more folding than a Japanese origami convention

Unlike last week, however, as the final competitive hit out of the preseason this game is a dress rehearsal for Round 1 and both sides can be expected to field their strongest possible lineups with several players hoping to come under notice for a spot in the best 22.

Likely Changes -Ins

• Yeo, Gaff and Sheppard are near certainties to be brought in after missing the Essendon game due to their involvement in the bushfire match.
• Darling, assuming his fractured cheekbone has healed sufficiently, is also likely to come in
• A couple of media types and the club itself have suggested that McGovern might be an outside chance. This seems premature and unnecessary but Vozzo was quite upbeat about his prospects in the injury report
• Cameron won’t play due to injury meaning newly minted rookie Jamaine Jones might get a chance to audition for a small forward spot. Reid who was also added has only recently joined full training after a shoulder injury so any game time for him will be in the WAFL team
• Rotham has also been in the rehab group due to a calf complaint and if he plays you’d think it would be against Peel
• Hickey had a solid hit out for the beagles and didn’t play against Essendon despite being named. I suspect he’ll swap places with Vardy this weekend
• Allen and Foley (injured) won’t play although Allen might get some minutes in the WAFL as the club indicated he’s overcome his ankle issue
• Jamieson and MO’Neill will be in the beagles if they are declared fit. They’ll join Exxon, Ainsworth, Edwards and Johnson who are unlikely to be elevated

In summary, I think Yeo, Sheppard, Gaff, Darling, McGovern and Hickey will be added to the side that lost to Essendon

Likely Changes - Outs

If 6 come in, then 5 have to make way (we played with 25 rather than the 26 named

• Vardy was the least effective of the 3 rucks against Essendon so I think he makes way for Hickey to audition along with Williams to be Tonto
• Brayshaw makes way for Gaff
• Yeo returning pushes Ah Chee out of the midfield, where he spent time against Essendon, and into the forward line at the expense of Treacy
• Cole’s broken thumb rules him out so he makes way for Sheppard
• Another defender has to come out for Gov so I think Watson will be the unlucky one, maybe Schofield
• There’s a possibility we might rest Kennedy after his impressive showing against Essendon but with a two week rest before round 1 he has time to recover.
• Likewise Naitanui but he needs time in the middle so he can build chemistry with Kelly and the other mids

So Vardy, Brayshaw, Cole, Watson and Treacy out leaves my predicted lineup as :

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Nelson McGovern Jetta
C: Gaff Shuey Redden
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
FF: Ryan Kennedy Waterman
R: Naitanui Yeo Kelly
INT: Williams, Hickey, Duggan, Schofield , Sheed, Hutchings, Brander, Ah Chee

So with the above in mind, what do we want to see :

Improved skills - First competitive game, a strong cross wind and some unseasonal wet weather resulted in less than ideal skills against Essendon. With a better forecast and a little less rust I’d be hoping for a better display of our foot skills and ball handling

Fringe players - by my count I think 16 spots are locked in for round 1 so those on the cusp of selection should be putting their best foot forward -
• Hickey/Williams - competing for the second ruck/forward spot.
• Duggan, Schofield, Nelson - there’s two spots remaining for defenders to be split between these three with Rotham and Watson likely to be mounting their case in the WAFL game beforehand. Our defence didn’t look great against Essendon, the small/medium defenders in particular struggled so want to see improvement here
• Petrucelle, Waterman, Brander, Hutchings, Ah Chee - there’s 3 spots across our forward line/midfield that I don’t think are set although Petch is arguably a lock. Waterman had a very good game against Essendon and another performance like that would seal his spot you’d think. Time for the other three to put their hand up - Brander showed glimpses of what he might offer but missed an opportunity to cement a spot. He’s still ahead of hutch and sneeze though after those two had poor games against Essendon

Midfield - our first chance to see the new and improved midfield in all its glory. Kelly took a half to get going but was influential when he did. With Gaff and Yeo added to the mix you’d be hoping to see a dominant midfield performance against a Freo engine room that doesn’t bat particularly deep behind Fyfe

Defence in transition - we got opened up on the rebound too often which put our back 6 under pressure. Want to see a better effort slowing up Fremantles transition and forcing turnovers.

A win - Whilst the result of this game is inconsequential it is a game we should be winning. We are likely to be selecting an almost full strength side albeit with a group of fringe players who should be desperate to put in a game that demands round 1 selection so a loss would be disappointing

If our midfield fires and we restrict Fremantle’s ball movement this could blowout but I’m thinking more along the lines of a 4-5 goal win

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast star defender Jeremy McGovern will play in Saturday's pre-season clash against Fremantle as he continues his push for round one.

Assistant coach Daniel Pratt confirmed the vice captain would play some minutes, but new leadership group member Jack Darling would miss out as he continues to rehab from a broken jaw.

McGovern has made a quicker-than-expected recovery following an achilles injury.

Pratt also confirmed Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard would all play as well after representing the club in last weekend's bushfire relief game.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast star defender Jeremy McGovern will play in Saturday's pre-season clash against Fremantle as he continues his push for round one.

Assistant coach Daniel Pratt confirmed the vice captain would play some minutes, but new leadership group member Jack Darling would miss out as he continues to rehab from a broken jaw.

McGovern has made a quicker-than-expected recovery following an achilles injury.

Pratt also confirmed Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard would all play as well after representing the club in last weekend's bushfire relief game.
Good news. Gov has come on quicker thsn expected. But hope we learn from bringing back players too early.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we need to play more talls...

Was hoping JJ would get a game.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Dont know why Hutch and Ahchee are.getting games. Were ineffective. Hutch particularly so. Really cant kick, is slow and makes slow decisions. He should tag only. Cant do anything else.

Super frustrating to play both Vardy and Hickey. What can we ascertain by giving both players a tiny amount of game time?
Given its not for premiership points - I don't see the frustration?

How do we know how well they have been training - and if they can replicate in gametime.

Yeah if they both line up RND 1 with NN - go hard.

But a preseason game?

I guess if you wanted to see another runner (Like XON) I can understand, but is he a realistic chance to debut if mid squad remains intact?

Baily out with a sore hammy

s**t didn't see that. Makes even more sense as to why Vards and Hicks are in.

Think that almost derails BW's debut in RND 1 yeah?

Dont know why Hutch and Ahchee are.getting games. Were ineffective. Hutch particularly so. Really cant kick, is slow and makes slow decisions. He should tag only. Cant do anything else.

AhChee needs to prove himself - can very much see why he is playing. Last chance saloon?

Hutch you may have a point - but hes has earned some credit.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Given its not for premiership points - I don't see the frustration?

How do we know how well they have been training - and if they can replicate in gametime.

Yeah if they both line up RND 1 with NN - go hard.

But a preseason game?

I guess if you wanted to see another runner (Like XON) I can understand, but is he a realistic chance to debut if mid squad remains intact?
Just meant frustrating from a selfish viewing perspective. Would just prefer to see an O Neill or Jones or give someone like Johnson a taste. One of Vardy/Hickey will spend most of the game on the pine IMO so it just seems a bit of a waste. Don’t care about the result obviously, just wanted to see some new players

Just meant frustrating from a selfish viewing perspective. Would just prefer to see an O Neill or Jones or give someone like Johnson a taste. One of Vardy/Hickey will spend most of the game on the pine IMO so it just seems a bit of a waste. Don’t care about the result obviously, just wanted to see some new players
I guess BW's hammy has no meant that we need to see who puts their best foot forward.

That is deflating.

My predicted side was pretty close

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Nelson McGovern Jetta
C: Gaff Shuey Redden
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
FF: Ryan Kennedy Waterman
R: Naitanui Yeo Kelly
INT: Williams, Hickey, Duggan, Schofield , Sheed, Hutchings, Brander, Ah Chee

Darling and Williams not named due to injury replaced in my 26 by Edwards and Vardy

Players we should expect to see playing for the Beagles :

X O’Neill
Ainsworth
Watson
Brayshaw
Johnson
Jones
Rotham*
Allen*
Jamieson*
M O’Neill*
Reid*

*Players we have been in rehab/didn’t play last weekend so aren’t certainties to play this weekend

As for the young guys like Exxon I guess a full game at WAFL level may be better for their preparation than a quarter in the seniors like Brayshaw got

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I guess BW's hammy has no meant that we need to see who puts their best foot forward.

That is deflating.
All good, I don’t reckon he would have been in line for r1 anyway. They always give the older blokes first crack.

Just the idea of post-2018 Vardy in the forwardline spilling grabs is very meh

Back