Review Marsh Community Series - West Coast vs Fremantle Saturday March 7 @ Joondalup 4.10PM WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we all know we lost our preseason games in 2018, so no worries right?

Well don't forget our poor form that year carried over into Round 1 when we were comfortably beaten by Sydney - and no, it wasn't just Buddy going beserk.

We don't want to dropping our first game to a team as poor as Melbourne. We have the fixture list from hell this season so we need to make sure we take care of what ought to be a home banker.
We still nursing a premiership hangover...:rolleyes:o_O
I forgot about our rigged fixture!
Well, it's safe to say we'll know in round 1 just how bad or good we are?
At this stage given our preseason track record, it's pointless trying to make sense of anything, even if it defies logic?

Lack of Willie is going to hurt. One of the few players who can create a scoring opportunity out of nothing. Ryan is so important to us now.

I'm aware Darling will fix our forward structure right up, but it's concerning to me the lack of dynamic ball users we have, particularly in low scoring defensive games like this.

Basically, unless the ball is in Hurn, Jetta or Shueys hand during a build up we're going to utensil up our forward 50 entry.

In a situation where Kennedy is getting dominated by his opponent, and there's very few marking targets save Waterman (191cm) and Vardy (potato) we have to be smarter.

As I said. The average player in the AFL system plays just 20 games. Masten played over 10x that.

He was a good player, delisted by a premiership contender who had just signed a great player to take his spot. If he wasn’t a good player he wouldn’t have had offers to keep playing from other AFL clubs after we delisted him.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story, though.
Tell us more of the offers he had from other clubs.

use source material.

Did XON actually play? Didn't see him once I don't think.

I saw him 3 times. One was a handball which either hit the target or got there ok. The second was a kick backwards to Duggan, which didn't hit Liam and he had to go back and gather off the floor but Duggers was under no pressure so no dramas, and, finally, I saw XON chase a Docker inside out defensive 50 but not get anywhere near the Docker as there too many bodies in the way. XON looked quick though.

From that brief viewing, I don't see Xavier adding much to the senior team this year. He might get some random development games but I don't think we'll be leaning on him to help us win AFL games.

We really butchered that game.Windy conditions aren’t conducive to our game style, it one of the reason why we stink it up in Tasmania. We had 10 more inside 50’s but it seemed we over possessed the footy too much inside there.

McGovern was floating about and looked like he was a bit out of place for a quarter.

Brander tried to evade tackles too much initially but got better as the game went on with giving the first option.

Concur with posters in that Nic Nat was in 2nd gear. But he will need to play the regular season at top gear and pace.

Yeo didn’t go to Fyfe, Barass as a key forward.

Ryan is set for a big year. I’d say he will be able n the squad of 40.

We looked the better team most of the day but just need to be a bit classier going forward and finishing. The delivery to Josh Kennedy was somewhere between abysmal and atrocious.the conditions didn’t help.

Not once did WC at a centre bounce try to tap forward and get out the front. I’d surmise that’s because we are holding that play back.

Duggan has a great game. Has a penetrating kick.

Waterman is not a key forward but will play the 3rd tall nicely.

Jetta is a fine wine.

McGovern was floating about and looked like he was a bit out of place for a quarter.

Hmm I don’t know about this

He looked to be reading the play well live.

That he said he was well gassed by middle of the 4th - to be expected from an interrupted preseason

Lack of Willie is going to hurt. One of the few players who can create a scoring opportunity out of nothing. Ryan is so important to us now.

I'm aware Darling will fix our forward structure right up, but it's concerning to me the lack of dynamic ball users we have, particularly in low scoring defensive games like this.

Basically, unless the ball is in Hurn, Jetta or Shueys hand during a build up we're going to utensil up our forward 50 entry.

In a situation where Kennedy is getting dominated by his opponent, and there's very few marking targets save Waterman (191cm) and Vardy (potato) we have to be smarter.
We have other players apart from kennedy

The kick it to kennedy mentality we have serves the dual purpose of clogging him up and giving him limited marking opportunity.

As well as making us predictable af.

It allows the opposition to position themselves all around him. Why we cant lead out in a starburst and kick to the player with separation from his opponent thus decreasing congestion has got me f’ed.

The 3 players we've brought in to replace Willie might play a few games and have some decent moments, but they won't go remotely near what he provides. He's such a special player and the Eagles are fully aware what a huge impact impact losing him, hence why they've brought in 3 extra small forwards. We're really gonna miss having him out there... :(

Amazing how much more balanced a team we were with that deft, super high footy (only) IQ excitement machine giving oppo defenders the shivers.

Also freed up Flyin to do what he does best.

Confident our mids will turn it on when needed, with Kelly playing a more contested ball game than at the cats.

Defence solid, fwds solid (Cameron osteo pubis FMD) but that 2nd ruck is an issue with Vardy a shadow of his 2018 self.

Concerns:

1. Depth a huge issue ( we ain’t no tigers here) & need Rotham to have a break out season.

2. Game style. Simo is killing us with this CONSTANT slow possession build up style. Fwds getting choked (Freo repeatable getting all players near back of centre was a joke).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats where my boy Bailey J. Williams comes into the equation, he has already passed Vardy.
Big Bails will be a tough match up for opposition coaches to get right, as his combination of ground skill mobility and his marking power, are going present a tricky challenge.

Results of preseason games in prior years :

2019 (2-0)
WCE 15.9:99 v Geelong 8.17:65
Fremantle 8.10:58 v WCE 16.13:109

2018 (1-1)
WCE 8.8:56 v Port Adelaide 8.6:54
Fremantle 14.17:101 v WCE 5.9:39

2017 (2-1)
GWS 10.10:70 v WCE 5.7:37
WCE 16.11:107 v Fremantle 8.4:52
WCE 14.11:95 v Melbourne 1.9.7:70

2016 (2-1)
Adelaide 2.20.10:148 v WCE 7.6:48
WCE 7.13:55 v Gold Coast 1.6.7:52
WCE 1.23.11:158 v Essendon 7.11:53

2015 (1-2)
WCE 1.9.15:78 v Carlton 2.4.5:47
Port Adelaide 1.11.14:89 v WCE 7.7:49
WCE 1.11.10:85 v Fremantle 1.13.17:104

2014 (2-0)
Fremantle 10.4:64 v WCE 2.20.10:148
Sydney 5.7:37 v WCE 10.12:72

So for the first time under Simpson we’ve failed to win a preseason game

However, our two poorest preseasons when we only won one of our games were 2015 and 2018

Make of that what you will

58% TOG for Naitanui after 51% last week. Hope he gets that up to 65-70% in a fortnights time.

Need to get him out of the red zone and back into the Yellow, hopefully in tandem with Williams.

It's like Simpson really doesn't like resting him forward.

View attachment 835532
I’d take just getting him towards that 2016 percentage to be honest.

58% TOG for Naitanui after 51% last week. Hope he gets that up to 65-70% in a fortnights time.

Need to get him out of the red zone and back into the Yellow, hopefully in tandem with Williams.

It's like Simpson really doesn't like resting him forward.

View attachment 835532
He looks like he is running heavy and lost his leap.

Results of preseason games in prior years :

2019 (2-0)
WCE 15.9:99 v Geelong 8.17:65
Fremantle 8.10:58 v WCE 16.13:109

2018 (1-1)
WCE 8.8:56 v Port Adelaide 8.6:54
Fremantle 14.17:101 v WCE 5.9:39

2017 (2-1)
GWS 10.10:70 v WCE 5.7:37
WCE 16.11:107 v Fremantle 8.4:52
WCE 14.11:95 v Melbourne 1.9.7:70

2016 (2-1)
Adelaide 2.20.10:148 v WCE 7.6:48
WCE 7.13:55 v Gold Coast 1.6.7:52
WCE 1.23.11:158 v Essendon 7.11:53

2015 (1-2)
WCE 1.9.15:78 v Carlton 2.4.5:47
Port Adelaide 1.11.14:89 v WCE 7.7:49
WCE 1.11.10:85 v Fremantle 1.13.17:104

2014 (2-0)
Fremantle 10.4:64 v WCE 2.20.10:148
Sydney 5.7:37 v WCE 10.12:72

So for the first time under Simpson we’ve failed to win a preseason game

However, our two poorest preseasons when we only won one of our games were 2015 and 2018

Make of that what you will
Interesting but relative.
If winning yesterday game was the priority I sure we wouldn’t have rested key players in the last term or alternatively brought some back on to save the game.
I suggest that the planned minutes for certain players was the main priority.
Maybe not so with Freo.

Keep in mind our forwards always referenced Masten as one of the players they loved having deliver the ball inside 50.

Add his loss to Rioli and Venables, and I suppose Cameron for 8 weeks, and it’ll be a big concern to start the season. Brander’s disposal is going to be inconsistent from what I’ve seen.

I don’t read much into preseason results but away from that I’m a bit concerned about our shape heading into the season.

Watching Giants vs Richmond, the difference in quality ball movement compared to last night is concerning as these two were the two best last year. But 'IT's jUsT PrE-SeaSon'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back