AFL Toast Marsh Series 2: 4 point win against the Cats

Can we actually get an undefeated pre-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm watching Laverde closely and the other deep forwards and often there is a bottle neck of smalls at half forward which closes down space for our players to work in to which is why I think the bombing is deliberate particularly from Cutler. It's almost like a wall is being set up to stop the rebound but it's too shallow to work.

True. Both games had a different look. Eagles game was a bit more open in the forward half. Yesterdays game was as you described, congested. How big is the Colac oval ? the Perth game was at the Eagles large (MCG size) training ground. Maybe they tried kicking it longer because it was not wet. As we have seen it did not work so they had better revert back to the first game style.

We will have to do it anyway even when T Bell and Hooker get back as overall we are not a strong marking side other than our defenders . The key to the season will be playing with the pressure over 4 quarters and our team defence holding up and setting up so we can use the footy inside 50.
What I did like was the midfield getting back into defence but not all they way back. One issue I have had previously was some midfielders where working back behind the ball and hunting a possession rather than defending. So far this year it has been work back inside 50 but not back inside 25 as much and allowing the defenders to use the ball out of the pockets.
Obviously the forward handball is good . At least if we stuff it up we are going forward and not backwards and in circles.

McGrath seems to be too defensively minded at times, looking to release a 'safe' handball sideway or backwards, but that passage of play where he took the aggressive forward handball to Fantasia was what we will hopefully see more of in the future. His ability to take possession and rapidly release a handball is elite, just needs to be more attacking.
He was more willing to take the game on in juniors, I think it was an area he mentioned that he was working on at this level..

True. Both games had a different look. Eagles game was a bit more open in the forward half. Yesterdays game was as you described, congested. How big is the Colac oval ? the Perth game was at the Eagles large (MCG size) training ground. Maybe they tried kicking it longer because it was not wet. As we have seen it did not work so they had better revert back to the first game style.

We will have to do it anyway even when T Bell and Hooker get back as overall we are not a strong marking side other than our defenders . The key to the season will be playing with the pressure over 4 quarters and our team defence holding up and setting up so we can use the footy inside 50.
What I did like was the midfield getting back into defence but not all they way back. One issue I have had previously was some midfielders where working back behind the ball and hunting a possession rather than defending. So far this year it has been work back inside 50 but not back inside 25 as much and allowing the defenders to use the ball out of the pockets.
Obviously the forward handball is good . At least if we stuff it up we are going forward and not backwards and in circles.
Not only do I agree with the bolded, but stuffing up a handball is also far less damaging than stuffing up a kick. The receiver can still be tackled if we have the numbers. It prevents great kicking sides from slicing us up the other way.

they need to get the handball right. Richmond usually go one short handball sideways and then a long forward handball, which then gives their defence protection. EFC had too many short handballs before the long handball.

Back