Preview Marsh game 2 - Port v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a grand idea. CHB plays easier than CHF because you don't have to be as proactive or creative.
Schache has the pace size and endurance to go with any of the power forwards - and he doesn't have to mark it! Bonus! I well remember Bernie Quinlan becoming a dominant player when moved from CHF to CHB where he could become the hunter rather than the hunted.
Nearly all of the draftees each year have played most of their footy from the centre and forward of the ground, and only become defenders when it's the only available option. Give this bloke a go in the backline - it may just save his career and improve the team.

I think that experiment would have to take place in the VFL.

Brought up some weird emotions seeing a player in the number 17 again. Felt weird seeing him holding his marks in that number too.

When can we expect your thesis on the size of Josh Bruce’s hands?

I've chosen to live in an alternate reality where the umpire paid holding the ball against Rockliff after he ducked into a tackle and subsequently dragged the ball in and sat on it at that second last centre bounce. Bont speared a pass inside 50 towards Bruce, which was intercepted by McLean, who had gone for a ride on some poor Port defenders shoulder and taken one of the marks of the century. He then when back with nerves of steel and kicked the match winning goal, restoring everyone's faith in him and saving our preseason.

I suspect a pretty decent portion of those goals came from free kicks.
If he can continue averaging 1.9 goals a game, by all means keep him in the team. Should that drop to 1.5 goals or lower, someone else should take his spot, because he just doesn't offer much else.

Have look at this and see if that is true.

People are slowly starting to see the truth and the lies a very select few tell time and time again. Unfortunately they can do it with me because a lot of people will see me name and just believe it.

Anyway that’s BF for you.

Williams was very good on the weekend and after that game has to be in round 1. He is a far better option off HB than Daniel.

Will Hayes is a spud, I’d prefer Lin Jong
Saw Jonge at the pub. He looks fit and says he is not too far off from coming back. MD beware of your wishes coming true. ;) BTW he is a big unit, bigger than CD.

Josh Bruce is not as good a ruck and Tom Boyd would have had to play until he was forty years old to kick as
many goals as Josh Bruce has.
I much prefer either Schache or Lewie Young as back up rucks. Schache's field kicking is excellent and Lewie gives a genuine contest.

What?
Young is a mobile intercept defender, that's 100% his game down back. He's not even close to a gorilla.

In the second last game of last season where we thumped GWS, Lachie Keeffe, a crap player, kicked two goals on him in the first quarter just by outbodying him easily. Young went onto have a good game by racking up intercept marks and rebounding effectively.

Then the following week, we beat Adelaide convincingly, but what should've been an absolute demolition of a mentally broken Adelaide at Ballarrat turned out to be only 34 points. Why? Because we let them score 87 points. How? Because they were marking almost every single high bomb that went into their 50. Taylor Walker, mediocre all season, kicked a season-high 5 goals that game. Who was his opponent? Lewis Young.
Don’t disagree with your comments but he’s still young (in age) and will be primed to play this role as his body puts on more muscle and his strength increases. He may not have been ready last year but I’m hoping he will be in the next year or two. Besides with Keath liberated from the role it gives home the opportunity to play to his strength and that is to intercept. I’d play both in the backline with Cordy our third “tall”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back