Preview Marsh game 2 vs Cola swans Monday March 9 1:40pm Kingston Twins Oval

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Mason Wood didn't just turn it on in one game vs swans, he had a very good streak of games in 2016 too.

Some of the job for lifers who unfortunately looked to have conned the new coach too would dream of one career moment to match Mason.

I'm mystified why you scapegoat talent but it is what it is.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep turners off the ball work is elite and underrated on here

will notice him being gone despite him not being a big disposal winner
Turner fun facts

. 81st in comp for tackles inside 50; 129th for overall tackles

. 270th in comp for score involvements.

My view is let's see whether we can get an upgrade on his role while he sits out the first half of the season.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Mason Wood didn't just turn it on in one game vs swans, he had a very good streak of games in 2016 too.

Some of the job for lifers who unfortunately looked to have conned the new coach too would dream of one career moment to match Mason.

100%

That run of games he was our best forward until that dill from west coast fell across his knee.

From memory, during that time Mase was averaging close to 20 touches a game playing CHF - thats bloody good going

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Macmillan would have to know he’s on thin ice.

We need him to play well and stand up and negate, can he do it against the Saints?
The difference between Richmond's pressure forwards and Kayne is goals. They still manage to hit the scoreboard. Even Townsend had a purple patch in 2017. Butler managed to score. But then the goals dried up and they're out the door.

I realise we haven't got Charlie Cameron sitting on the VFL but we need to find small forwards who can pressure and score if we are going to play in the big boy part of the comp.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Nail head.

Same goes for the backline, if you can’t defend then at least be attacking and set up goals.

2016 was years ago.

But that was also off the back of him having to force his way into the side from the VFL so perhaps they are hoping he'll repeat the process.

The difference between Richmond's pressure forwards and Kayne is goals. They still manage to hit the scoreboard. Even Townsend had a purple patch in 2017. Butler managed to score. But then the goals dried up and they're out the door.

I realise we haven't got Charlie Cameron sitting on the VFL but we need to find small forwards who can pressure and score if we are going to play in the big boy part of the comp.

I agree about the goals.

But on the other hand if he is specifically sacrificing his game to negate opponents then he isn't gonna take the opportunities to goal cos he'll be constantly looking for opposition players to s**t down.

And shutting down doesn't mean tackles necessarily. Sometimes it means running with your opponent so someone else doesn't use them as an option. Like those times on the forward line when you see someone else's guy running off to provide a forward option and chase the campaigner just so no one kicks it to him up the other end.

Often last year and when Scott coached well opposition teams would be unable to exit our forward line quickly and I suspect big part of that is players like Turner stopping easy exits.

It was more noticeable when teams actually did it easily.

Like * using tall marking players and kicking to a spot 10 m in from the corner of the centre square last Good Friday. If someone tall and mobile like Wood made more effort to cover that specific player or spot we would have been in a lot better shape that game.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Plenty of players looked good 4 years ago. Bastinac was going to make the hall of fame early in his career.
Talent only gets you so far and he clearly has some areas to work on. Once he has done that he will deserve a call up.
I seriously can’t understand the rationale that he should be getting a game because he is talented. That sort of thing would never fly under a Clarkson or Hardwick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I agree about the goals.

But on the other hand if he is specifically sacrificing his game to negate opponents then he isn't gonna take the opportunities to goal cos he'll be constantly looking for opposition players to s**t down.

And shutting down doesn't mean tackles necessarily. Sometimes it means running with your opponent so someone else doesn't use them as an option. Like those times on the forward line when you see someone else's guy running off to provide a forward option and chase the campaigner just so no one kicks it to him up the other end.

Often last year and when Scott coached well opposition teams would be unable to exit our forward line quickly and I suspect big part of that is players like Turner stopping easy exits.

It was more noticeable when teams actually did it easily.

Like * using tall marking players and kicking to a spot 10 m in from the corner of the centre square last Good Friday. If someone tall and mobile like Wood made more effort to cover that specific player or spot we would have been in a lot better shape that game.
No good teams carry a bloke in their forward line who offers nothing offensively.

Yeah a fair point I suppose we feel Wood could be better and some you mention probably are playing as well as they can- dunno. Turner I find a mind boggling selection personally.

I don't mind Atley & Dumont, I wish they were the 21/22 players selected.

He’s, probably, just going with the option of backing in the guy who always gives his best. He’s trying to set standards. The fact that nobody is talented enough (yet?) to take Turner’s spot is the big problem. It’s a moot point now that Kayne is injured. Now, at least, Scamper doesn’t have to make that particular call any more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Plenty of players looked good 4 years ago. Bastinac was going to make the hall of fame early in his career.
Talent only gets you so far and he clearly has some areas to work on. Once he has done that he will deserve a call up.
I seriously can’t understand the rationale that he should be getting a game because he is talented. That sort of thing would never fly under a Clarkson or Hardwick.

I personally don't think he should be guaranteed a game. We're a bit thin on the ground for genuine ability so I'm not sure we can afford to be kicking him to the curb either.

I reckon Clarkson would have made a footballer of him.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About Turner...

I was at a function yesterday and saw an old mate I played footy with. He's a Richmond supporter. Was talking up TT and last years GoTY that was ignored. Showed him the video and it triggered a two minute rave about Turner, who was in the goal square driving Bont toward TT with "pressure acts".

He went on about it a lot alluding to the sort of play Richmond win flags with.

I stick up for KT a lot and even I couldn't see it (was v drunk tho) but on the replay just then Turner is in scene running with an opponent trying to get the ball off Bont/be an option on the boundary side and Turner is right with him so Bont has no option. He has to kick near TT.

There are a lot of players I don't see that from, Wood is one.

As always I respect your views and you know ya stuff. I just think and while he may well best 22 material guys like Kane aren't going to take us to the sporting pinnacle.

I hope Mahony shows today what a smart small fwd with clean skills can offer. For us to improve we need to change some of regular starters. Kane isn't the only guy I'd put out to pasture, I'd be quite brutal at seasons end.

Really put a rocket up those that survive the cut

sruss

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why do they keep comparing Heeney athletically to Majak? In Heeney’s dreams maybe. Ridiculous

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I personally don't think he should be guaranteed a game. We're a bit thin on the ground for genuine ability so I'm not sure we can afford to be kicking him to the curb either.

I reckon Clarkson would have made a footballer of him.

Again I don’t think he has had a “line” put through him or been kicked to the “curb.” The season hasn’t even started and plenty of time to meet the goals he needs to.

You might be right about Clarkson (mind you plenty have come and gone under him) and the approach Shaw is taking might be right too.
I will tell you one thing that didn’t work and that’s the approach Scott took with him.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Again I don’t think he has had a “line” put through him or been kicked to the “curb.” The season hasn’t even started and plenty of time to meet the goals he needs to.

You might be right about Clarkson and the approach Shaw is taking might be right too. I will tell you one thing that didn’t work and that’s the approach Scott took with him.

Fair play Nutjob. We’ll see how it transpires. One thing for sure, he ain’t getting in ahead of Curtis.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair play Nutjob. We’ll see how it transpires. One thing for sure, he ain’t getting in ahead of Curtis.

He has been the biggest positive of the pre-season. His game today was sensational.
A very smart kid by the look of it and showed why he was invited to the draft night.

Back