List Mgmt. Marsh going home for personal reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anything stopping us from retaining him on the main list and if we can't get him to stick around just putting him on the LTI list and upgrading Smith/Cox or Keeffe in his place?

Good question.

Were GWS able to do that with Cam McCarthy this year? Or Richmond with Chris Yarran?

Yes, you can only put someone on the LTI if they have a genuine injury otherwise that's cheating.

I would say mental health/emotional reasons (if that's the problem) should be considered an acceptable "injury". Did Mitch Clark go onto the LTI after he had his break down in season?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the contrary, hasn't been the same line breaking run and carry player as he was prior to his hamstring tears.

Might just be a confidence thing
Yeh maybe not but there was a game this year I thought he became a good player. Intercept marking down back was great and had great pace. The following week he wasn't as good again but can't remember which game it was now.

Yeh maybe not but there was a game this year I thought he became a good player. Intercept marking down back was great and had great pace. The following week he wasn't as good again but can't remember which game it was now.
Freo?

Marsh is a different kind of guy and Bucks doesn't like that. **** you Bucks.
Might be true, might not be true, might be somewhere in the middle....

Serious question?

• Who should run the show? The Coach or the player?

Mental v physical incapacity.

Same outcome.

Slippery slope.
The AFL would fall over themselves as quickly as possible to say mental issues are equal to injury for LTI purposes.

Agreed - and inconsistency is a given when you are young and playing with fear that you'll be dropped next week. Marsh will be the real loss of this trade period.

Serious question?

Pretty simple isn't it?

Now what if that player was Nathan Buckley and that coach was Tony Shaw? Not so simple now. Value to the organisation plays a part.

Now I'm not commenting on the bucks marsh thing as all we have is rumours and I don't have first hand information.

But in a broader sense in my business I'd be asking, is the employee being a dick? Is the manager being a bully? Is there simply a personality clash? Or is it a combination of all those? Is there a pattern?

The problem with blanket policies is it can paper over cracks. Far more important to determine the root cause and rectify accordingly.

Or if you prefer, horses for courses.

So in relation to your question who is running the show? I'd say the CFC, players and coaches are employees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty simple isn't it?

Now what if that player was Nathan Buckley and that coach was Tony Shaw? Not so simple now. Value to the organisation plays a part.

Now I'm not commenting on the bucks marsh thing as all we have is rumours and I don't have first hand information.

But in a broader sense in my business I'd be asking, is the employee being a dick? Is the manager being a bully? Is there simply a personality clash? Or is it a combination of all those? Is there a pattern?

The problem with blanket policies is it can paper over cracks. Far more important to determine the root cause and rectify accordingly.

Or if you prefer, horses for courses.

So in relation to your question who is running the show? I'd say the CFC, players and coaches are employees.
All correct.
Collingwood is the first.
But clubs will give autonomy and the "power" to the coach first and foremost.
The players can't wag the dog so to speak.
If the coach is overtly badly behaved and that has repercussions so few it, coach will find only success would save him.
But this new idea that everything seems to always be the coach and never the player beggars belief.
Actually if the coach is an intense type ok, get used to it.
What is this a camp fire or a driven football club to success?
Ask St Kilda and their party boys for decades how that's worked out for them.
Do you think Allan Jeans or Tom Hafey or any of the flag coaches weren't running their show?
Anyway the whole coach v player thing I find tedious overall.
He who is the coach is the boss.
As long as they are the coach I support them because I'd rather Collingwood wins and by extension the coach succeeds than worry about, in my view, petty charachter assessments.

All correct.
Collingwood is the first.
But clubs will give autonomy and the "power" to the coach first and foremost.
The players can't wag the dog so to speak.
If the coach is overtly badly behaved and that has repercussions so few it, coach will find only success would save him.
But this new idea that everything seems to always be the coach and never the player beggars belief.
Actually if the coach is an intense type ok, get used to it.
What is this a camp fire or a driven football club to success?
Ask St Kilda and their party boys for decades how that's worked out for them.
Do you think Allan Jeans or Tom Hafey or any of the flag coaches weren't running their show?
Anyway the whole coach v player thing I find tedious overall.
He who is the coach is the boss.
As long as they are the coach I support them because I'd rather Collingwood wins and by extension the coach succeeds than worry about, in my view, petty charachter assessments.

Well I don't see a power struggle at all, power is vested in the board and CEO the employees (players and coaches) have responsibilities to fulfill, it's not about the tail wagging the dog, it's about holding up your end of the bargain. Defined roles with defined responsibilities.

Sure coaches have a degree of autonomy afforded them commensurate to their responsibilities, one of which is effective management of those under their charge. Players in turn have their responsibilities, one of which is following instructions from the coaches.

I don't see this as being in conflict. Different roles different responsibilities. You need everyone fulfilling their responsibilities for the organisation to be successful.

Well I don't see a power struggle at all, power is vested in the board and CEO the employees (players and coaches) have responsibilities to fulfill, it's not about the tail wagging the dog, it's about holding up your end of the bargain. Defined roles with defined responsibilities.

Sure coaches have a degree of autonomy afforded them commensurate to their responsibilities, one of which is effective management of those under their charge. Players in turn have their responsibilities, one of which is following instructions from the coaches.

I don't see this as being in conflict. Different roles different responsibilities. You need everyone fulfilling their responsibilities for the organisation to be successful.
Really well said.

The AFL would fall over themselves as quickly as possible to say mental issues are equal to injury for LTI purposes.
Disagree, whilst they wouldn't say one is more serious than the other the obvious difference (our inaccurate injury timeframe predictions not withstanding) that one is more easily quantifiable than the other. Whilst depression may be more debilitating than an ACL it is easy to say an ACL will take minimum 6 months to recover from. The more debilitating depression MAY be recovered from in 2 weeks, but is very hard to put a minimum or maximum timeframe on (a bit like Freeman's hammies)

So without having to read through the last 24 pages, is there any particular posts that someone can point me in the direction of to get a rundown of what might have happened? If not, is anybody in the know willing to PM me with deets? Kindest regards.
Dont think there's been any definitive posts. Could be depression, workplace bullying or just Bucks doesn't like him (I don't put much weight on the latter, even if true I would think there's more to it than that given they can both be professional and we was playing senior footy)

Disagree, whilst they wouldn't say one is more serious than the other the obvious difference (our inaccurate injury timeframe predictions not withstanding) that one is more easily quantifiable than the other. Whilst depression may be more debilitating than an ACL it is easy to say an ACL will take minimum 6 months to recover from. The more debilitating depression MAY be recovered from in 2 weeks, but is very hard to put a minimum or maximum timeframe on (a bit like Freeman's hammies)
Well argued.
The AFL is a PC beast, whether that's a good thing or not, that's for others to debate, but being so, I reckon they'd tread very carefully to be seen to do the right thing.

Gratuitous picture of Clokey with pet: PART 2

422485-more-news.jpg
Let's be fair, Woody was a good boy. Never relieved himself at inappropriate times.

Maybe he could giv Fas a lesson or two? :p

I really hope against hope Marsh sorts out whatever is going on and finds his way back to the club. He'd be our starting full back. He also seemed quite close to a lot of players. Although the club doesn't seem the happiest place right now.

I really hope against hope Marsh sorts out whatever is going on and finds his way back to the club. He'd be our starting full back. He also seemed quite close to a lot of players. Although the club doesn't seem the happiest place right now.
Your signature quote is pertinent here too.

Serious question?

The coach, obviously. But the coach should be able to get the best out of a wide variety of personality types.

Do you think Bucks can do this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back