AFL Toast Marsh Series 1: 8 point win over West Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath - Inside
Langford - outside more
Laverde - best 22 (Probably helps having his best mans Stringer out)
Ham - very impressive on a wing (Again I just see Scully). Gets up and back nicely and kicks well penetration and short
Phillips - An improvement on TBC. Play him ahead until it doesn't work but give it a good run
Ridley - Been saying it for 3 years now. He's best 22 pick him every week please
Guelfi - As a small back finally

I had eagles winning easily and we held then off when they kept coming. Had a response.

Tippa 1/2
Hurley 1/2
Fantasia 1/2
Heppell
Daniher
Stringer
Saad
Hooker
Redman
Mckenna
Ambrose
Cutler (All missing)

Last edited:
Game plan/ball movement seems to have improved.

Can't believe how good Ham is looking.

Mozzie :D

Laverde looked good

Snelling and Parish had big games considering they both played 65% game time and promising to see Francis play out seemingly a full game with the highest game time for us.
Snelling was fantastic. He'll play round 1 barring any injuries. He was more Devon Smith than Devon himself.

Parish can do better than that. Disappointing game. Seemed like every disposal missed the mark.
Hopefully he tidies up his disposals next round.

Preseason or otherwise, we needed that. Plenty of positives and plenty to work on, but most importantly we had a crack for four quarters, got some much needed run into the legs and will take some confidence from coming away with a cheeky preseason W.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of positives.

Some players that stood out to me:
Tippa as always was impactful and classy even off limited game time.
Philips gave a solid contest in the ruck and whilst he won't be a star is still a ton better than Clark so we will be more solid in the ruck.
Ham continues to look like a genuine AFL player, is very classy with the ball and loves to tackle. I really want him in the rd 1 team.
Snelling was very high production. I think it will be hard to leave him out of the team.
Mosquito looks to have great potential - still don't think he's nearly fit enough yet though.
Smith - just feels great to have him back in the team.

I also felt like our forward ball movement was miles better than last year despite not really having particularly strong personnel out there. Many more instances of players lowering their eyes and it was such a relief to see some of those classy little kicks from Smith. I also thought our defense did pretty well both defensively and offensively considering the players we had out including Saad, McKenna, Hooker and Ambrose.

7 forwards for round 1

Snelling
Fantasia
Tippa
McKernan
Stringer
Laverde
D.Smith/Parish

I hope big Phillips has a big tank

8 MIDs

Phillips
Heppell
Shiel
Z.Merrett
McGrath
D.Smith/Parish

2 of Ham, Langford, Cutler, Zaharakis

Back 7

Hurley
Hooker
Francis
Mckenna
Saad
Redman
Ridley/Gleeson

Darcy etching closer and closer to that ideal Sam Mitchell type of a small mid.

He had relentless effort to be involved in the play.

Relief to see Smith out there again.

Don’t write off Gleeson people. The bloke is a highly focused defender. Give him time to return to A grade form.

All and all, a fantastic, fast paced hit out for the boys.

There was non stop contested work with a greasy ball and the conditions had everyone working extremely hard.

Shiel looked to have a harder edge tonight.
That pleases me greatly.

7 forwards for round 1

Snelling
Fantasia
Tippa
McKernan
Stringer
Laverde
D.Smith/Parish

I hope big Phillips has a big tank

8 MIDs

Phillips
Heppell
Shiel
Z.Merrett
McGrath
D.Smith/Parish

2 of Ham, Langford, Cutler, Zaharakis

Back 7

Hurley
Hooker
Francis
Mckenna
Saad
Redman
Ridley/Gleeson
I'd be thinking conservatively about Hooker and Heppell. We haven't heard about Hurls from last night either. Maybe a spot opens for Zerk-Thatcher and Hibberd.

Preseason or otherwise, we needed that. Plenty of positives and plenty to work on, but most importantly we had a crack for four quarters, got some much needed run into the legs and will take some confidence from coming away with a cheeky preseason W.
I only got to listen in fits and starts, but I'm not sure we did put in 4 quarters. We kicked 4 (?) and 5 goals in the first and third quarters respectively, into the wind, and only 2 with the breeze in the fourth. We started the fourth three goals up. Sounds like we took the foot off the pedal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back