Ambrose out now too. Tall stocks getting more thin by the day.We are getting close to this now....but I think we will be a fair way from a full strength team. Hoping for something like;-
Francis Ambrsoe Saad
Gleeson Margaret Fanta
Cutrler Shiel MgGrath
Townsend Laverde Smith
McKernan Stringer Snelling
Phillips Parish Merrett
Bench from: Guelfi Ham Clarke Begley Jones Redman Langford Ridley
Smith & Townsend both seem likely to get games, which adds a lot more aggression to the side and seems to rub off on other players.Smith playing excites me. Often last seaon we lacked a bit of mongrel and a spark in te forward half of the ground, sometihng Smith provided both of in spades in 2018.
If we can get 18 games out of Smith (I expect us to manage him a bit) it'll go a long way towards us having an improved season.
We're fine. Hurley, BZT, Francis, Hooker not too far off. Play multiple mediums like Redman, Gleeson and Ridley who can chop out. If it comes to it play McBride early. Wouldn't have thought there would be many teams with 5 KPD.
i was thinking we could replace all the other AFL teams with VFL teams so we can win an AFL flag. but yep, yours makes more sense.after the way we disposed of Casey I think we should consider moving to the VFL and smashing the minnows every week. Itll be like 2000 all over again
whos with me?
This is from their thread. It's a strong side, plus a few of the younger brigade.View attachment 827010
So the JLT preseason sponsorship lasted long enough for us to learn that random collection of consonants but has come and gone before anyone knew what they actually did. Should have given the money to a rich sporting club in a marginal electorate, what could have gone wrong
We now have the rebadged Marsh Community Series. Sponsoring an AFL preseason competition to curry favour with Victorian sporting fans is a bold strategy for Sean and Mitch. Again, what could go wrong
Accordingly, West Coast kick off their formal preseason preparations with a replay of last seasons pre-finals warmup match against Essendon. Rumours are circulating that the gates at Lathlain might be thrown open for this match so supporters can watch although I’m sceptical
That said, the club has released vision of our intraclub match to whet our appetite for what lies ahead. For those that have missed it in the preseason training thread, feast your eyes on this
Enough preamble, on to what will be the most important game of our year so far. I’m taking 15 minutes into the first quarter for the first “our season is over, fold the club” post to surface
Who will miss :
Yeo and Sheppard get to play for the State of All Star so won’t be playing.
McGovern (Achilles), Darling (cheekbone), Venables (concussion), Rioli (you don’t know already?, have you been living under a rock) and Foley (pubes) have already been ruled out. Allen (ankle?) didn’t play in the intraclub and seems certain to miss with the only question mark being whether the club confirms the injury before or after this match. Rotham (calf) is also questionable after missing the intraclub although the extent of his injury is unclear
JK didn’t play the intraclub but I expect he was held out to keep him fresh for this game
Based on the above my predicted 24 is :
FB : Hurn Schofield Cole
HB : Jetta Barrass Duggan
C : Brander Redden Gaff
HF : Cripps Kennedy Petrucelle
FF : Ryan Waterman Cameron
R : Naitanui Kelly Shuey
INT : Watson Nelson Sheed Hutchings Williams Hickey
It’s a preseason game so I’m not doing matchups as a) I don’t really care and b) there isn’t a b, I really don’t care. And whilst I’d obviously prefer we win, the result is of little consequence so the main thing is what to watch for
What to watch for (bet you didn’t do this paragraph heading coming)
• Kelly watch - TK11 plays his first (sort of) official game in the wings. Plenty of hype surrounding how well he’s been training and fitting in seamlessly with our midfield. We gave a lot to bring him over, I fully expect we’ll see a glimpse of why on Thursday
• Brander the giant wingman - regarded as possibly the best KPP in his draft cohort, we seem to have settled on turning Brander into a wingman for the time being. Results over the preseason have been encouraging so it will be interesting to see how he goes in a competitive match. This is a home game though so every chance he doesn’t get selected
• Ryan and mark of the year - one takeaway from the highlights video was Ryan launching at every high ball that went inside 50. Flyin Ryan gonna be fun to watch
• Naitanui - there’s no better sight for Eagles supporters than the big Fijian in full beast mode. Just want him to get through this match uninjured
• Second ruck - who backs up Nicnat is one of the unanswered questions heading into the season proper. Hickey and Williams will both get an opportunity to audition for the spot
• Mids pushing forward - it should come as no surprise that Kelly is tipped to spend time forward, however Sheed has also been flagged as a mid potentially going forward. Whether any others do similar remains a mystery
• The new Rioli - someone has to replace him so it might as well be Cameron. Can he build on 2019
• Kennedy - was 2019 an aberration or the start of a decline. For the first time in several seasons JK has had a proper preseason with encouraging signs.
• Jetta kicking a football - it’s sublime. Watch for some more examples of why he should be considered the best kick in the comp
Essendon fly across for this game with a number of their best 22 unavailable due to injury so you’d think the Eagles should get the job done. I’m tipping us by 5-6 don’t cares.