Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

My take:

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Murphy Walsh O'Brien
HF: Cuningham JSOS Fisher
FF: Martin Casboult Betts

R: Kreuzer Setterfield E.Curnow

Int: Gibbons, Newnes, Simpson, Stocker, Dow, TDK, Pittonet, Macreadie

This sorts out some positional battles:

Newnes vs O'Brien
Martin vs Cuningham vs Gibbons vs Fisher
(HF/mid, three to play R1)
Stocker vs JSOS vs Dow (inside mid/HF in the absence of Cripps)

That also frees up some time for TDK to have another crack at his forward craft, and Macreadie to rotate into the defence in place of Jones or Weitering.

Newman can come back in for the final match to try and put his hand up for selection in a battle against Marchbank and SPS.
Betts got called up for tonight, Macreadie's still not fit, and Murphy & O'Brien got rested, so that shook things up a bit and allowed for Callum Moore to be in the mix along with some positional trials given SPS and McGovern aren't right to go.

Marchbank obviously not flying as much as suggested in reports, so he's back in the VFL, maybe playing a half? Aside from that, happy enough with the line-up under the circumstances. Looking forward to seeing how everybody's used.

After 3 day of pouring rain and thunder storms the skies cleared and the sun was back out.
The ground looked a million dollars at training this arvo.
The obvious stuff, they looked really sharp and it was great to watch them train.
Teague had all the time for the many kids there, especially the special needs kids (hope that is the correct wording) and was last off the ground.
Was great to see, hopefully we get the win tomorrow.
:)

Last edited:

Why would it be concerning. They named him to play and is a late out three weeks before round 1. Clearly he’s close enough to play they put him on a plane.
I’m just going by training reports and thinking I read he only played a quarter last week

If he misses next week then he probably doesn’t play round 1 IMO, needs to get at least one game under his belt

It concerns me because Richmond have good small/medium forwards and he’s also the perfect matchup for Dusty resting up there

I’m just going by training reports and thinking I read he only played a quarter last week

If he misses next week then he probably doesn’t play round 1 IMO, needs to get at least one game under his belt

It concerns me because Richmond have good small/medium forwards and he’s also the perfect matchup for Dusty resting up there
No way is he injured significantly to miss round if he’s being named for marsh 1.

Didn't make it to training due to work but a friend did. He's a mad Richmond fan but couldn't wait to call me as he left to talk about Williamson.
He'd never seen nor heard much about him but said he was absolutely flying. Not one kick missing a target and was shocked at his physical condition both size and his height.

Look out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank obviously not flying as much as suggested in reports, so he's back in the VFL, maybe playing a half? Aside from that, happy enough with the line-up under the circumstances. Looking forward to seeing how everybody's used.

Pretty much although I don't particularly like 26 players being involved in these games.

- I'd like to see TDK just playing forward. No rucking required with Kreuzer, Pittonet and then Casboult in the squad.
- Great test for Setterfield without Cripps available. This is what I'm looking forward to most.
- Would love to se some forward impact from Martin in the way Papley and Cameron performed last night.
- Given the absence of others, Dow also has the opportunity now, to stake a claim for a round 1 start.
- No particular reason, but I'm somehow keen on JSilvagni right now. He may even get some midfield minutes tonight. We'll see.
- And then there's Cuningham.....and Williamson.....and Fisher.....and Philp

Who's talking about characteristics? I'm talking about output.
I'd like to see Martin kick goals and impact the game in the way Papley and Cameron 'impacted' the game.
I don't care how he does it. I'd simply like to see results, as would all of us....I think.

There is still room in this game for dangerous forwards.

Surely there is a different level of intensity/defense, compared to a bruise free dancing with your sister exhibition game

Maybe?

Yes there is, but the creativity was on show and then again...there's the proof over the course of time.

What did Betts call Cameron yesterday? There's probably something in that, don't you think?

'The best small forward that ever played this game': Betts' huge call

Yes there is, but the creativity was on show and then again...there's the proof over the course of time.

What did Betts call Cameron yesterday? There's probably something in that, don't you think?

It's important to note that Betts said at the end of his career he'll be known as the best small forward of all time, not right now.

I’m looking forward to see our structures behind the ball, not too concerned forward of the ball as the personal aren’t their (Gov, Eddie, H, Charlie)

Also being in WA I don’t obviously get to training so looking forward to going “wow he has been in the gym”

Hope it’s a good game, my new partner of a few months is coming, never been to a footy match and I spent most of the women’s match on tv last week explaining the scoring system in footy 🤦‍♂️, that was the first match they’d watched.

It's important to note that Betts said at the end of his career he'll be known as the best small forward of all time, not right now.

I don't who will and won't be and that doesn't even matter to me given it's a team sport, but I'd just like to see our forwards showcase some forward craft.

I would have liked to have seen Martin, Cuningham and Betts working around McKay, CCurnow and McGovern but that's OK.
One thing we know about TDK is that if he doesn't mark the ball, he'll bring it to ground and it should be interesting as to how our ground players go tonight.

If the mids (Setterfield, Walsh, Dow, Fisher etc) kick the goals that's just fine also, but at this stage I don't think we have one of those types ala Coniglio.

I think we would have been so much more a dangerous side should have things gone the way they could have, handing us over Papley & Coniglio.
Never mind. We'll be right.

Ahhhhhh okay, something to strive for, for Martin, even though he is not a small forward

Can't wait

Who's talking about characteristics? I'm talking about output.
I'd like to see Martin kick goals and impact the game in the way Papley and Cameron 'impacted' the game.
I don't care how he does it. I'd simply like to see results, as would all of us....I think.

There is still room in this game for dangerous forwards.

Why who said there wasn't room for dangerous forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back