Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand it’s not the ones and it’s early and we aren’t playing at 100% intensity but the basic skill errors are concerning.

A lot of our boys wouldn’t look out of place at the local u19s training on a Tuesday.

Should be executing those simple drop punts and taking uncontested marks no matter what intensity you’re playing at. Freo have no problem doing it and they are playing a much more refined game than us.

Skills were subpar.

But i think people are underestimating the effect us playing less than 100% intensity has.

It accentuates the poor skills as our guys weren't 100% switched on and players down the ground weren't giving as many options as normal so the ball carriers often had not much to go to.

At the same time Freo were giving max effort...even late in the last quarter they were trying for chase down tackles and getting numbers at the contest.

I’m not giving us the wooden spoon after one poor showing, but this has been nothing short of disappointing.
Our skill errors are extremely worrying, the lack of any type of strategy also a real concern. Admittedly we are missing many of our best players - and players crucial to our structure. But the missing players should not reduce the effort levels. I saw far too much hanging of the head and slumping of the shoulders.
The inability to hit a target or take a basic mark is baffling, the lack of chase and pressure something I thought was a thing of the past.
I really don’t care if we win or lose a preseason game, but there were very few positives to take away from that.
Martin looked lively.
Pittonet looks like he is a real project player - has a bit of mongrel and can hold his ground (admittedly he was against a kid in the ruck).
I wish Philp had more game time. His speed and willingness to tackle were real standouts.
TDK started well but fell right away.

There were too many negatives to list here.
Hopefully next week fills us with some more optimism, because right now Richmond are licking their lips at the prospect of Round 1.

For those saying only a praccy game...we face Richmond in 3 weeks....cripps..sps... betts and mcgov would need to add a lot to that. Sheesh

Cripps, Betts, SPS, Gov, Harry, Charlie, Murph, Plow, that’s 1/3 of the 22 in absolutely key roles missing, without counting Marchy, Stocker and LOB who have their claims. Didn’t have Martin or Kreuzer in the second half either.

The skill execution was worrying and perhaps a few boys on the fringe could’ve put their hand up a bit higher but we will look nothing like today in 3 weeks time. Well atleast I hope.

If we didn't know beforehand - Fisher can midfield and Cuningham can not.

Very disappointed in Setterfield today. Skirting around the edges, just isn't good enough.

Limited time, but Martin looked lively forward...and can't we do with some life forward?

Forward entries though, were...not really forward entries. More Hail-Mary's than for an onset of Armageddon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many members were lost tonight. It’ll slow now. I doubt we get many jump on today. Marsh two will need to be a win I think.

I wanted to see more from Setterfield. I wanted to see more from Cunners. I wanted to see more from Dow.

I was surprised by Polson, and Fisher is a big positive. Walsh is amazing. Weitering is a rock. Loved Martin’s intent at the ball.

Doc looked like he hasn’t played for two years. But that doesn’t matter. Loved seeing him out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Although there were some concerns from tonight, and I would prefer if we played well, pre season form doesn't really transfer to in season form. If I remember correctly we played some pretty good footy in the pre season last year and then came out and shat the bed when the real stuff started.

Be concerned, be critical, but please spare us all of the melts.

Skills were subpar.

But i think people are underestimating the effect us playing less than 100% intensity has.

It accentuates the poor skills as our guys weren't 100% switched on and players down the ground weren't giving as many options as normal so the ball carriers often had not much to go to.

At the same time Freo were giving max effort...even late in the last quarter they were trying for chase down tackles and getting numbers at the contest.

I’m willing to let it go, our forward line was effectively non existent for good reason and we were definitely trying some new things, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried by some. Doc, Willo, Weiters, Walsh etc. will blow out the cobwebs I’m sure, some need to show a heap more next week.

Not too concerned as we had a lot of our key players out, maybe saw the end of players like Lang (agree with the comment re Daisey!!), Simmo looks cooked, Ed just makes too many mistakes, Dow ghosts in and out, Kennedy meh, Jack's got to fix his goal kicking....
Philip looks like a lock for round one if they play him for the whole game next week, Polson's best game, Martin is class, Newnes will get better, Pittonet looks like a mongrel...
Doc, Willo and Cunningham will improve.
Gibbo gone for a month..
Next week was always the key practice match (and they are practice matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back