Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to get your thoughts on how tonight compared to last week windows? Was the structure similar along with the skill level?
More pressure this week. We bombed it last week and again today. This week we really got punished for it. Last week we didn’t.

Didn’t notice anything structurally. TBH it felt eerily similar to games of early last year when we played guys like Dow in the middle. We got sucked into the contest and then beaten on the spread.

pretty aberage all round.

While Cunners had a poor game, he should have kicked 2 goals and the only time we looked dangerous when he was running through the middle of the ground.

Willo looked like he was playing the 3rd tall role and didn't get into the game.
Willo looked slow for mine.

Best take-away from the game: we won’t have a whole heap of posters rabbitting on about what great depth we have because we have a few players who can dance with their sisters.
It is a preseason game and means next to nothing. We had no system and it follows we did not play to a game plan. Looking at the vision of Teague after the match he did not seem to be upset.
We clearly have doc and willo back. Martin is an addition - some watchers were previously suggesting he may not be good enough to make the team😂. Walsh does not look like having second year blues since that is a condition for mere mortals.
We are going to go fine this year. No flag, but competing for a finals berth.
Too much depth on a list that has about a dozen proven AFL level players? Only at Carlton

and maybe Essendon

Plus the fact they played a tag on him.

Haha yeah...in the first preseason game!

Again, it felt to me like Freo were really playing to win. Their intensity was high like a H&A game with their chase down tackles, overall pressure and running hard to outnumber us at contests. Plus they were dishing out some cheap shots like you might in a real game but you don't usually see that in practice games.

We did basically none of those things. Our guys never really showed that intent from the outset (except Philp when he was on lol).
We played Polson in defence majority of the game, Lang up forward, Moore & Sturgess got some minutes and they aren't even on our list etc.

I'm expecting a much better showing next game. Since it's our final hit-out i'd expect we'd take it pretty seriously as pretty much all teams do.

More pressure this week. We bombed it last week and again today. This week we really got punished for it. Last week we didn’t.

Didn’t notice anything structurally. TBH it felt eerily similar to games of early last year when we played guys like Dow in the middle. We got sucked into the contest and then beaten on the spread.

pretty aberage all round.

I feel like a big reason for the bombing is that we aren't going hard with our intensity and causing turnovers like we were doing under Teague last year in the real stuff.

Since we've mostly been just cruising, there hasn't bee much quick ball movement in open space and space for the forwards to work in and lead. However when our defensive pressure is up and we cause turnovers, that's where you can catch the opposition out with quick counter-attacking ball movement and find forwards in space.

It also doesn't help that we're missing Charlie, McKay & Gov of course who would provide strong targets and make the 'bombing' tactic half-decent.

Last edited:
We'll beat Freo by 5-7 goals in the H&A.

These games are called practise matches for a reason .....

Don't know if SOJ V Kennedy was solved today as the rotating forward - same for Setterfield V Dow for starting midfield, or Williamson V Newman for defensive duties - I could say they all played at much the same levels ordinary to bad. I think Cuningham V Lang was well and truly won by Cuningham. Newman looked rusty and Polson did his usual one good thing and another silly - but looks better suited to running straight lines looking forward rather than being a confused forward pocket. TDK V Pittonet looks to have gone TDK's way.

On the definite side: I reckon Teague's box has been ticked by Martin and Fisher.

Next week will be last chance for whoever is still in the mix as maybes - but Cripps| Plowman| Murphy|Betts|McGovern| Harry are all likely to feature and probably Marchbank as well, wouldn't be surprised to see Stocker given a run either - so today was an important test for some who probably confirmed their standings in current CLub order of merit.

Leaving aside team tryouts - I thought the kicking for goal was really poor- SOJ is woeful/Gibbo is worse and Levi was ordinary - Kennedy didn't get a shot.

Draftee cameo by the dark haired kid who likes to tackle was a highlight - don't rate the Richmond blokes effort in missing an uncontested mark in front of goals after a lace out to advantage running 55 meter kick from Cuningham - the enigma man.

Thats what i saw today.

Can someone explain to me why year in and year out, all our players especially our kids are all so skinny?

The opposition always has 3 or 4 first or second year players that look like they grew up throwing dumbells around while our kids look (and play) like they've never even seen one!???
I'm itching to see Kemp play. He's that one kid who didn't join us skinny.

We'll beat Freo by 5-7 goals in the H&A.

These games are called practise matches for a reason .....

Don't know if SOJ V Kennedy was solved today as the rotating forward - same for Setterfield V Dow for starting midfield, or Williamson V Newman for defensive duties - I could say they all played at much the same levels ordinary to bad. I think Cuningham V Lang was well and truly won by Cuningham. Newman looked rusty and Polson did his usual one good thing and another silly - but looks better suited to running straight lines looking forward rather than being a confused forward pocket. TDK V Pittonet looks to have gone TDK's way.

On the definite side: I reckon Teague's box has been ticked by Martin and Fisher.

Next week will be last chance for whoever is still in the mix as maybes - but Cripps| Plowman| Murphy|Betts|McGovern| Harry are all likely to feature and probably Marchbank as well, wouldn't be surprised to see Stocker given a run either - so today was an important test for some who probably confirmed their standings in current CLub order of merit.

Leaving aside team tryouts - I thought the kicking for goal was really poor- SOJ is woeful/Gibbo is worse and Levi was ordinary - Kennedy didn't get a shot.

Draftee cameo by the dark haired kid who likes to tackle was a highlight - don't rate the Richmond blokes effort in missing an uncontested mark in front of goals after a lace out to advantage running 55 meter kick from Cuningham - the enigma man.

Thats what i saw today.

I was hoping for a little more from SOJ/Kennedy/Setters/Dow/Cuningham. But oh well.

Just on today's showing SOJ ahead of Kennedy...SOJ won a few contests and at least had a few shots at goal even if he did miss simple shots. Kennedy didn't really do anything.

Setters is definitely in front of Dow...not so much on today's performance but based on last year and reports from pre-season.

Newman was better than Willo today...he was solid enough. Willo very quiet, didn't provide much rebound offensively and was beaten defensively a few times.

While Cunners could have done more, he's definitely a lock over Lang.

Cunners & Setters definitely disappointing...but we don't know their instructions. Maybe they played different roles, maybe they were told to play at a lower intensity to get the run in their legs.

However Cunners played around 75% game time, and it is a re-occurring theme with Cunners to get low disposals and flash in and out of games. Only 12 disposals.
Where do you get the stats from? The AFL website sends you to the app, which states that stats are “coming soon”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you get the stats from? The AFL website sends you to the app, which states that stats are “coming soon”.

Yeah i'm not liking the AFL website revamp. On the app if you go to 'Match Centre' and click on 'Players' all the stats are already up...so don't know why they are up there but not other places.

When Cunners played as the half-forward/receiver, we looked our best as a team. He should have finished with two and should have contributed to two others directly.

I know it was only a preseason game but he needs to kick those, especially the touched one, and create the others.

It's time to stop giving him a pass on potential.

McKay, Weitering, Curnow from that draft - people are already marking Kennedy's card, also from that draft.

I know it was only a preseason game but he needs to kick those, especially the touched one, and create the others.

McKay, Wittering, Curnow from that draft - people are already marking Kennedy's card, also from that draft.

Yep as a 5th year player and not even a KPP, Cunners really needs to start delivering this year.

Though we may need to all just accept the fact he's more of a 15 possession/1-2 goal a game type player with some score involvements playing across half forward and not a major ball winning mid.

And that's fine. We need more of that kind of player and Richmond have plenty of them and have becoming a premiership team through guys getting those kind of stats over the last few years playing half forward like Castagna/Rioli/Butler/Caddy/Higgins etc.

I can see Cunners being a bit like Dan Rioli in a top team...low disposal count but skilful and can make them count and contribute through score involvements and defensive pressure.

Good lord, I know it's still Feb, but it's that all too familiar pattern creeping in already....skill levels were just well below AFL standard, just as in previous years....not sure how you fix that. Having said that, we had games in the first half of last year just as bad, then times during the 2nd half of the season where we couldn't miss a target. But we just looked to totally lack any confidence with our disposal tonight...and the more it happened, the worse it got.

We cannot just keep bombing it into the forward line and expect miracles to happen!!! Even with our 'big 3' back in the side, the opposition defence will just feast on that....Lobb is a good footballer, not great, but tonight he just read our play like a cheap novel, and got into the perfect position again and again....

A few observations, hopefully not too emotionally driven....

Walsh is just a ripper, but don't crucify the kid by relying on him to lead the charge as a 19yo and burn him out through others not being up to it...or too lazy.

We can't just assume bringing in the big guns will all of a sudden turn things around...it's only a praccie game, but our method just wasn't up to scratch...if we keep bombing the ball into the forward line...or on the head of Gibbo or Eddie, we are ****ed!!

We have players who have consistently shown they aren't up to AFL standard if we are looking to build depth - Kennedy has demonstrated he is neither a mid or forward, and on borrowed time. Lang is similar...he did play some good footy with the Cats, but hasn't shown anything at the Blues. Polson put in tonight, but was under the pump on many occasions against outnumber opposition.

Our midfield is still a bit of a worry - Setterfield looked out of his depth (although I think he just had a bad game), Kennedy not up to it. Ed had a shocker except for his one goal. Newnes looked like he worked his arse off with little return. Dow looked better tonight though, hopefully on the improve. Fish was fantastic, and will be better with Crippa and Murph alongside. Pitto in the 2nd half showed he is an old style ruckman with a bit of bash and crash....but you can only get away with that if you have the mids to feed off it, like the Tiggs have done with Nankervis and Soldo. Cuners has so much talent but fades in and out...just not good enough in today's football where the opposition can score heavily in a short amount of time....you have to be in the game 100% of the time.

Weiters was just huge, and just seems to get better regardless of the state of the game. Doc will be better for the run, as will Willo...who faded as the match went on. Martin was really good in the first half, but will be better with good players around him to help develop his game even further....which he couldn't get with GCS.

Our train-in players weren't given a lot of opportunity given the game was a bit of a balls up by the time they had game time, but neither thrill me at all. Maybe we just pass on both, and look at the mid season draft to see what the state leagues may offer. By mid season last year, Jake Riccardi was starting to tear the VFL a new one, and could have been a great pick for us. Who knows if Kye Quirk becomes a bit of a rock in defence with the NB's, but gets picked up by another club because we don't have a list spot. Maybe better to sit and wait at this stage...

Next week's game against the Lions will be a bit of a litmus test whether tonight was a bit of a blip, or a precursor to the season. To be honest, I am a little nervous from what I saw tonight regardless of who we had out...

Cunners & Setters definitely disappointing...but we don't know their instructions. Maybe they played different roles, maybe they were told to play at a lower intensity to get the run in their legs.

However Cunners played around 75% game time, and it is a re-occurring theme with Cunners to get low disposals and flash in and out of games. Only 12 disposals.
Let's try to remember that if we plug in Cripps and Murphy into that midfield Cunners and Setters role changes dramatically.

Let's be happy that Fisher took a step forward rather than focus on the negatives.

Minimum of 6 players to come into that side before round 1.

My thoughts from the ground.

They wanted it more, plain and simple. More players at the contests with more intent. They really targeted Walsh with some late stuff and off the play.

I was really disappointed with Setterfield, though he didn’t seem to contest many centre bounces. I was hoping for a lot more from him.

My doubts regarding Kennedy are growing by the game, he was really struggling. There were many times where he was walking / standing still while Freo were streaming forward, I don’t think he is fit enough. If he plays forward he is effectively a tall because he doesn’t create much pressure. I liked his recruitment at the time but now I have big doubts.

Walsh was our best in my opinion. He is absolute class, the composure of the guy is outstanding for a second year player. He was targeted by Freo but it is just water off a ducks back, his mental application is as good as anyone in the AFL, I love him.

Fisher was second best. There have been question marks on his defensive running but I thought he was excellent in that department, I’m not sure I like him at centre square stoppages too much as he can get brushed off, but he is easily best 22 and an important player for us going forward imo. He’s a smart player with great skill (albeit he is one-sided).

Doc looked like a player that hadn’t played for two years, very rusty. It’s just so good to see him out there and not injured. Last time I saw him in preseason (against Freo at Subi) he was awful and a turnover merchant. He went on to be All Australian that year.

Overall, you shouldn’t read too much into preseason games. Many were way too upbeat after our Collingwood game last week and many are too down about this result. Mind you, it was disappointing a few didn’t take their chance.

Lastly, I really like the look of Philp, there is just something about him that is impressive. That tackle was right near where I was standing, he plays with real intent and has great speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays in the first half of the season.

McKay, Weitering, Curnow from that draft - people are already marking Kennedy's card, also from that draft.
He’s been given a “pass” because he has been injured. No fifth year player, regardless of position should be given a pass imo.

Good to see the boys out on the park again.

Not concerned even one iota by the result. As with every preseason game, the only thing I really care about is getting through unscathed - hopefully Gibbo pulls up OK, the incident didn't look great.

Ball movement looked outstanding at times, but our skills were awful. Expect a better showing next Sunday vs Brisbane.

My thoughts from the ground.

They wanted it more, plain and simple. More players at the contests with more intent. They really targeted Walsh with some late stuff and off the play.

I was really disappointed with Setterfield, though he didn’t seem to contest many centre bounces. I was hoping for a lot more from him.

My doubts regarding Kennedy are growing by the game, he was really struggling. There were many times where he was walking / standing still while Freo were streaming forward, I don’t think he is fit enough. If he plays forward he is effectively a tall because he doesn’t create much pressure. I liked his recruitment at the time but now I have big doubts.

Walsh was our best in my opinion. He is absolute class, the composure of the guy is outstanding for a second year player. He was targeted by Freo but it is just water off a ducks back, his mental application is as good as anyone in the AFL, I love him.

Fisher was second best. There have been question marks on his defensive running but I thought he was excellent in that department, I’m not sure I like him at centre square stoppages too much as he can get brushed off, but he is easily best 22 and an important player for us going forward imo. He’s a smart player with great skill (albeit he is one-sided).

Doc looked like a player that hadn’t played for two years, very rusty. It’s just so good to see him out there and not injured. Last time I saw him in preseason (against Freo at Subi) he was awful and a turnover merchant. He went on to be All Australian that year.

Overall, you shouldn’t read too much into preseason games. Many were way too upbeat after our Collingwood game last week and many are too down about this result. Mind you, it was disappointing a few didn’t take their chance.

Lastly, I really like the look of Philp, there is just something about him that is impressive. That tackle was right near where I was standing, he plays with real intent and has great speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays in the first half of the season.
Good review and spot on well done Parap. 👍🏽👍🏽

Remove this Banner Ad

Back