Review Marsh Series: Fremantle v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah they weren't taking it seriously, apparently they were just angry because there was so much traffic in Perth it took a 3 hour bus trip to get to David Grays

Ha, saw that one. That thread has made for some amusing reading.

Though I was impressed with the guy who pointed out maybe all their players trying to stake a claim should have tried playing like Schultz did.

Any game plan looks good when the opponents kick the ball back to you constantly that looked more like a WAFL game with a few more AFL players out there than usual too me , I would rather be in Carltons shoes than ours because if your taking any confidence out of that it will be an absolute illusion

Any game plan looks good when the opponents kick the ball back to you constantly that looked more like a WAFL game with a few more AFL players out there than usual too me , I would rather be in Carltons shoes than ours because if your taking any confidence out of that it will be an absolute illusion

Nah. You can't take much but you can take something. Saying that executing a plan you've been practicing for months means nothing at all is a bit odd. You seem to be saying that executing the plan may even be negative?

Sounds like you're looking for reasons to be negative.

It doesn't mean much but its still a small step forward.

Crikey what a strange post.
Really!!!!!!!

You’d rather be in Carlton’s shoes? Why? Do you like being miserable?

With so many unknowns around game plan and new personnel I think it’s fine to take a bit of confidence out of that game. Doesn’t mean I’m booking my flights to Melbourne for the GF.

Bloody Dwayne Russell was on an well. Worst commentator bar none.
Russell made some comments about Hugh Mitchell instead of Hugh Dixon. Gave the other commentators a good laugh. If the Freo boys ever get to see and hear this, it will at least provide a good nickname for Hugh Dixon (‘Mitch’).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why you say ?

I still remember JLT 2 2018 when we touched up WC and swore pre season would never get me again

Someone needs to pop a few of these bubbles

It's for your own good

Yeah but it was what was happening when we had the ball that was encouraging not what was happening when they had the ball.

Why you say ?

I still remember JLT 2 2018 when we touched up WC and swore pre season would never get me again

Someone needs to pop a few of these bubbles

It's for your own good
Bubbles? I’ve not seen one outlandish claim on this entire thread.

Me neither - and after we sweep WC away this weekend and are firmly on the road towards top 4 I think Tony G will have cause to reassess!
Even better we get smashed vs WC. Getting done in a pre season game is the trademark of a truely great team.

Let’s all remember that Brayshaw has spent two years in the midfield and this is Cerras first real shot. Give him some time. He’s going to be just fine. He’s going to have games where he looks great and other games where he goes missing. Just part of the development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The thing that I though was good about Cerra is that he has obviously and significantly improved his running. If you rewatch the last quarter he gets to a lot of contests and there are a number of repeat efforts even when he doesn't have the ball just to put pressure on opponents or to provide an option even when the game was done and he had been out there most of the game. I think he may have improved his speed a touch as well?

Overall we played better than I thought we would, it looks a fairly straight forward game plan that the players can adapt to fairly easily and they appeared to have picked it up quite well. A lot of the structures were lost with fatigue and a loss of concentration but obviously that's going to improve.

My views on some players,

Positives

Sturt - Looked to me as a very promising type, his speed and size is going to be really valuable for us. He appeared to be really good for our structure, supporting the talls and the smalls. He only had nine disposals, but should have had 10 and two goals if Schultz had found him.

Dixon - I liked his game, despite acknowledging how far he is from being able to consistently influencing games, his fitness and repeat running is a long way off, but he looks really intelligent and with good skills. Worth persevering.

Serong - 11 of his 14 disposals were contested, that was the second most on the ground from 56% game time. I've got to be careful on how much I expect from him, but I'm quite excited.

Frederick - 'Didn't live up to pre-season hype' is what 7West said. He played 30% of the game, upscale his disposals to an average game time and he had 14 possessions. I don't expect him to play 22 games but he looks a good prospect with that running power and base skill level.

Crowden - The most composed I've seen him, he looks to improved, but how that translates to the regular season remains to be seen.

Brayshaw - Best he's ever kicked consistently, I can't remember him shanking one, so hopefully he's really sharpened that side of his game because he is super inside & contested. Had a massive game on 60% game time, he's going to have a big year.

Cerra - Played hard and aggressive, looks a natural mid but won't be a huge accumulator but he doesn't need to be. Fyfe/Brayshaw/Serong will allow him to player a cleaner game on the outside. Only 67% game time as well.

Aish - Really solid game, he's a really great addition to our side for general stability.

Watson - Looked a dour defender (in a good way). I feel better about our defensive depth with him near on the 22, looked composed.

Negatives

Acres - A bit harsh, but his composure under pressure wasn't at all good. Looked great on the outside and finding the ball the amount he did was super impressive, but I'm just going to temper my expectations on that one game, but also excuse a lot of those errors in the first pre-season match with a new team.

Blakely - Was/is one of my favourite players but his game is declining rapidly. I still believe in him but our team would be 5% better if we had replaced him with Hill on the weekend.

Matera - He's going to have to work really hard to justify keeping anyone of Schultz, Henry, Frederick & Switkowski out of the side as a second/third small forward. He's a goal kicker and scores consistently for us, but he's pretty one dimensional and with the younger smalls, we have a good opportunity to develop them to more flexible than he is.

Maybe they kept giving the ball back because of our pressure?

Really positive signs from the match on Saturday. I though the controlled ball movement from the back half to the forward 50 was a sight for sore eyes. Although it wasn't as effective in the second half as we tired (and the Blues attempted to close us down), it was a pleasing display in our first real test.

I recently reflected on the first JLT/Marsh match last year against Collingwood. We dominated the clearances and the inside 50s (classic Ross Ball) however couldn't get any clean possessions in the forward 50. With a forward line of Lobb, Taberner, Cox and Hogan (3 quarters) we only had 6 marks from 60 inside 50s. Although it's different opposition and a small sample size - I think it shows that we're moving in a different direction (17 marks from 59 inside 50s on Saturday).

What was also pleasing is that a lot of players could pull off the short sharp kicks well (with the exception of Blakely). For years we blamed personal and a lack of skill. I think our previous game style of hard running and clogging up the contested situations wasn't conducive to good skill for two reasons; firstly because we had little in the forward half to kick to when we gained possession; and secondly because the players were knackered (which meant they couldn't execute or teammates weren't leading to space). The best way to tire and frustrate an opposition is to have control of the play and have possession.

As one poster mentioned, one swallow doesn't make a summer - but positive signs nonetheless!
While Blakely's disposal by hand and foot was really bad on the weekend I think he also deserves some credit for the fact that he hit 2 i50 targets with the new quick chip style we are implementing

Me neither - and after we sweep WC away this weekend and are firmly on the road towards top 4 I think Tony G will have cause to reassess!
I pulled my money out the sharemarket and put it on Freo for the premiership. Great odds and a lock. No froth and bubbles where I sit thanks.

Overall we played better than I thought we would, it looks a fairly straight forward game plan that the players can adapt to fairly easily and they appeared to have picked it up quite well. A lot of the structures were lost with fatigue and a loss of concentration but obviously that's going to improve.

My views on some players,

Positives

Sturt - Looked to me as a very promising type, his speed and size is going to be really valuable for us. He appeared to be really good for our structure, supporting the talls and the smalls. He only had nine disposals, but should have had 10 and two goals if Schultz had found him.

Dixon - I liked his game, despite acknowledging how far he is from being able to consistently influencing games, his fitness and repeat running is a long way off, but he looks really intelligent and with good skills. Worth persevering.

Serong - 11 of his 14 disposals were contested, that was the second most on the ground from 56% game time. I've got to be careful on how much I expect from him, but I'm quite excited.

Frederick - 'Didn't live up to pre-season hype' is what 7West said. He played 30% of the game, upscale his disposals to an average game time and he had 14 possessions. I don't expect him to play 22 games but he looks a good prospect with that running power and base skill level.

Crowden - The most composed I've seen him, he looks to improved, but how that translates to the regular season remains to be seen.

Brayshaw - Best he's ever kicked consistently, I can't remember him shanking one, so hopefully he's really sharpened that side of his game because he is super inside & contested. Had a massive game on 60% game time, he's going to have a big year.

Cerra - Played hard and aggressive, looks a natural mid but won't be a huge accumulator but he doesn't need to be. Fyfe/Brayshaw/Serong will allow him to player a cleaner game on the outside. Only 67% game time as well.

Aish - Really solid game, he's a really great addition to our side for general stability.

Watson - Looked a dour defender (in a good way). I feel better about our defensive depth with him near on the 22, looked composed.

Negatives

Acres - A bit harsh, but his composure under pressure wasn't at all good. Looked great on the outside and finding the ball the amount he did was super impressive, but I'm just going to temper my expectations on that one game, but also excuse a lot of those errors in the first pre-season match with a new team.

Blakely - Was/is one of my favourite players but his game is declining rapidly. I still believe in him but our team would be 5% better if we had replaced him with Hill on the weekend.

Matera - He's going to have to work really hard to justify keeping anyone of Schultz, Henry, Frederick & Switkowski out of the side as a second/third small forward. He's a goal kicker and scores consistently for us, but he's pretty one dimensional and with the younger smalls, we have a good opportunity to develop them to more flexible than he is.
Lobb and Logue perhaps the two biggest positives, and can’t wait until they are able to play the role we want them to play.

I pulled my money out the sharemarket and put it on Freo for the premiership. Great odds and a lock. No froth and bubbles where I sit thanks.
So you've just completely disregarded TG's expert analysis? I've thrown a few hungey-thou on Carlton for the premiership. It's pretty clear from their performance they are a lock to win the whole thing. Why did Freo have to go and play well and win that pre-season game? It could have been them!!! When will our club ever learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back