Review Marsh Series: Fremantle v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to see Cam Mac spend some decent time on the wing.
Like to think he has something to offer in that position with his low penetrating and accurate kick on the run.
Might be my imagination but he seems to kick better to a lead than at goals.
Perfect tester game.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s no difference. He is straight out a high quality kick.
Cam McCarthy is close to the best kick in our side. Certainly elite.

If I'm Square Pug what does that make you? Mongrel Hills?
No, but that is a good one.

I just thought that we could be Spare Pug and Square Peg and confuse the hell out of the others while they forget my dire predictions for the mens if we do actually get off to a good start (not going to happen) and when we finish higher than last year(;)).

View attachment 830531

Also the great man MDB is captaining GWS.
You feel that North not getting a trial game with extended team numbers when the club is depleted of players is bad news for him. Seems new players are walking past him in the pecking order.

The other emergencies all have time in my view but not good for North.

There's a lot to look out for with the new guys and new gameplan, this is the most interest in a preseason game I've had in a while. Cerra in the midfield. Sturt who is basically a first year player to me. Also interested to see if Brayshaw is ready to step up to the next level.

You feel that North not getting a trial game with extended team numbers when the club is depleted of players is bad news for him. Seems new players are walking past him in the pecking order.

The other emergencies all have time in my view but not good for North.

Midfield depth is good to have but honestly yeah don't see where he fits. Even Blakely is kind of hard to fit in with Brayshaw, Cerra, Acres, Tucker, Fyfe/Walters 50:50 and now Serong.

Be interesting to find out who really grabs the midfield rotation this year.

Sturt impressed me in the intraclub. He is quick.
Do you see him on the wing or forward? Not that those positions are clearly delineated. Did you notice what his ground ball skills like?

Sturt and Henry into the forward line by the end of season with Serong and Walters alternating mid/forward.... yes please.

Midfield depth is good to have but honestly yeah don't see where he fits. Even Blakely is kind of hard to fit in with Brayshaw, Cerra, Acres, Tucker, Fyfe/Walters 50:50 and now Serong.

Be interesting to find out who really grabs the midfield rotation this year.
I do think Blakely has more to offer, and I hope he finds that extra.

Do you see him on the wing or forward? Not that those positions are clearly delineated. Did you notice what his ground ball skills like?

Sturt and Henry into the forward line by the end of season with Serong and Walters alternating mid/forward.... yes please.
Two weeks ago the started as a high 1/2 forward before moving very deep forward.
He looks ok in the air. Might use him to get a mismatch forward line at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a forward that can lead up well and run back quick. He took quite a few marks up on the wing and one of the few players who can create space between him and his opponent. Also will be very effective running back to goal as he has genuine speed, especially in fast transition plays (i.e. like Stephenson for Collingwood). His defensive pressure was also good.

Not to mention he is an excellent set shot, I think Ross said he was the best he has seen since Nick Davis. Can clunk a mark or two as well and has a great leap to create contests when out of position. Needs to build strength/size for 1 on 1 contests but that will come with time.

For mine, he is a staple of the team moving forward.

RE his ability on the ground, that is still an unknown for me. Looks clean in his U18 clips, saw him fumble once at the intraclub. Need a greater sample size to make a call.

Last edited:
It's pre-season, results don't matter (last year anyone.....?) But geez it would be nice for the new coach to start with a win.

I have no interest in the final result, but I'm assuming we'll lose with the team we're playing. It's all about finding players that can assume roles and the development of our structures and game plan, I'd say it's going to look a bit messy but it's the first step towards something meaningful.

It's pre-season, results don't matter (last year anyone.....?) But geez it would be nice for the new coach to start with a win.

Last year, despite losing both games, the 'metrics' were there that we'd be competitive. Our contested ball & defensive restriction numbers mirrored that of the real season, we just didn't have any depth to maintain it.

From a stats point of view, I'd be looking at and comparing tackle numbers, contested ball, shots per inside 50 and opponent shots per i50 to give an insight to how we might stack up against the rest of the league.

I love the idea of Acres captaining, given St Kilda fans say his biggest problem was consistency, you'd think this should be a massive shot of confidence for him and will show him how highly the club rates and values him.

Reckon he'll have a massive game.

If we somehow get the best of Acres consistently, our midfield will start to get some real depth to it. The best of Acres of the last few years has always been elite, there's just been a lot of long patches of rubbish in between.

I was listening to a podcast with a Saint Kilda supporter on it and he said Acres at times will look like in all Australian and dominate the game, and then goes missing for a month. If J Lo can somehow get him to be more consistent, it might turn out to be a fantastic trade. Maybe giving him the captaincy is all part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back