Marsh Series Game 2 v Adelaide - March 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh to only give Spitta a notable mention haha! I thought he was our BOG
Haha was just grouping the younger kids together but yes Swallow, Miller & Macpherson were perfect

I just got home so haven’t seen any of the game. Happy that we played well enough to generate 26 shots on goal.
Disappointed about sexo.

didnt nicks say they were going to play their round 1 team?

geee....we are so disrespected by opposition supporters. Thought they might see it as a trial and accept they are going into a bit of a rebuild.
They know they’re going in to a rebuild phase.

There’s a lot of angst on their board, has been all summer.

A lot to do with the internal review and changes made to the off field staff. Particularly that the club publicly refutes any notion of going through a rebuild phase.

A bit to do with Gibbs and Walker looking shadows of their former selves.

It was mentioned a couple of times that they just lost to the bottom placed club, who are bedding in a number of new players and draftees.

I’m sorry Mr Bods, but respect needs to be earned on the field.

When you guys have put together a couple of competitive seasons, you’ll get it.

Us lot up the road still aren’t respected by a lot of oppo fans, and sections of the media. And we’re a couple of years ahead of you.

I have also entered a bet with Cockarfit that Ben King kicks more goals than Esava Ratagolea.
500 word essay about how the loser was stupid posted to the opposition board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see how we play against a more serious midfield display. Geelong gave our mids a lot of room and space in the first preseson game, space that just wasn't there at all today. Apart from a few passages I thought Anderson struggled to impact in any meaningful way, but that's to be expected for a first year player. Rowell had a moment or two but also struggled a bit I thought with the tempo.

Have to say I barely noticed Swallow. Looked at the stats and he's had 30+, 5 tackles and a goal. I'm pretty sure he didn't even play midfield? Guy is super fit. Not sure he had strapping on his knee either.

2MP is just not a full forward. He has no top end pace and no acceleration off the mark - two traits that are very good for a full forward to possess (especially in our team). It's only when he's allowed to run around and use his endurance either as a ruck or a CHF does he start to impact the play.

If I had to drop one of either 2MP or Day it would be Day, simply because 2MP can ruck better and is the better CHF than Day. King obviously to come in and play FF.

Thought Joyce had a better game. Luko also looked very good until we fiddled and put him up forward. He relies purely on his ability to outread others to get his possessions. As seen when he played as a forward, still gets very easily outbodied. Graham a real eye opener. Didn't see much of Collins but didn't see much of their key forwards either.

Didn't notice Fiorini at all playing at HB and don't think he really impacted there, which is understandable given Fiorini has always been a mid. With Brodie performing so well though (not to mention Touk), it's hard to see who comes out for Brayds to get many mid minutes.

Holman didn't have a lot of it but you could see what he brings. He very much needed this game to blow out the cobwebs. I was stunned when he shanked that kick. He's normally a deadeye from 30-40 out.

Ainsworth another great game.

Bowes' value is that he can play pretty much anywhere. He looked like he'd been playing down back his whole life today.

if it wasn't for Murdoch we wouldn't have won today. He was the only guy that could kick straight in that fourth quarter. I don't know how I feel about this. I suspect Lemmens comes in for him as outside of the last 4 minutes he didn't contribute a great deal.

Smith very serviceable. I would even say that he plays round 1 and we slowly build Witts up in the NEAFL to get him up and running, but I think the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Dawson and McLennan don't look near it yet IMO.

Lachie Weller looks like he's about to have a game when he just rips it all apart. The only knock on him is that he's jut a bit too small to break tackles, but it doesn't stop him from trying.

Harbrow, Lemmens, Rankine to come into this side for round 1. We have to lose four on top of that, so that would mean seven changes. Going to be some very unlucky guys not playing round 1. I suspect guys like Sharp, Fiorini and Anderson will be suiting up for the NEAFL in a couple of weeks for round 1.

Oh, and just in general. I thought we beat them in general play outside of all of the third quarter and a bit of the second. It's really weird to see our midfield on top of any other, but it definitely happened today for large portions of the game. If we converted our chances better we would have beaten them by 4 goals+. But because we missed we let it get close.

Promising signs again. Up against a midfield with Sloane, Couch x 2, Gibbs etc and won clearances.
+21 inside 50s
+ 7 scoring shots
7 less turnovers which normally kill us.
Happy with midfield. Defence is well organised regardless of whose available. Forward line is a work in progress.
Also time to eat my words - Brodie is going to be a serious inside mid & Sharp will be a steal!
Very happy with our progress.

I am not worried it was A different team in the second half to the team in the first half.. plus Ben king is our key forward wright will spend a lot of time in the neafl this year I’d say
I would trial Wright as defender in Neafl. Not ideal but no harm North majak actually a better defender after playing most of his afl as forwars/ruck.

Promising signs again. Up against a midfield with Sloane, Couch x 2, Gibbs etc and won clearances.
+21 inside 50s
+ 7 scoring shots
7 less turnovers which normally kill us.
Happy with midfield. Defence is well organised regardless of whose available. Forward line is a work in progress.
Also time to eat my words - Brodie is going to be a serious inside mid & Sharp will be a steal!
Very happy with our progress.
Disposals: 405 (Suns) - 405 (Crows)
Kicks: 231 (Suns) - 218 (Crows)
Handballs: 187 (Crows) - 174 (Suns)
Marks: 97 (Suns) - 94 (Crows)
Tackles: 71 (Suns) - 63 (Crows)
Hit-Outs: 44 (Suns) - 30 (Crows)
Frees for: 20 (Suns) - 19 (Crows)
Contested possessions: 165 (Suns) - 131 (Crows)
Clearances: 39 (Suns) - 36 (Crows)
Clangers/Unforced errors: 68 (Crows) - 60 (Suns)

Disposal Leaders
1. David Swallow - 33
2. Darcy MacPherson - 31
3. Will Brodie - 28

Clearance Leaders
1. Hugh Greenwood - 6
2. David Swallow - 5
3. MacPherson/Rowell/Weller - 4

Tackle Leaders
1. Touk Miller - 7
2. Brodie/Greenwood - 6
3. MacPherson/Swallow - 5

Hitout Leaders
1. Zac Smith - 39
2. Peter Wright - 3
3. Sam Day - 2

Pretty nice performance.
Did some things well
Forward line cohesion lacking a bit.

Graham very solid
Zac Smith definitely better than when he left us first time
Sharp is a Brandon Ellis clone with more upside

Swallow, Miller, Greenwood, Brodie, Weller going to make a really solid midfield group this year

Ainsworth, Macpherson, Sexton, Rankine will make defenders lives hell.

We missed tackles today that we didn't miss against Geelong, that had a lot to do with the game being closer than it should and giving Adelaide time and space

Brodie is really on another level at last, he is unique in what he does for us and now best 22, his disposal efficiency is good now and his ability to keep his hands free in close and in tackles to dish off is great

Wrights no good... he even fumbled a ball when it was thrown to him when play was stopped, I think he is mentally not in the right head space, he was more competitive in the last quarter scrapping out some assists etc but what a waste of size and talent, he mentally just can't get it together

Not sure Fiorini is up to the new game plan, he loves to stop and go back and take too long to kick, will have to get with the plan or he will be a liability

Was dissapointed in Ellis today was costly and didn't have the polish he had against Geelong made some rookie errors, thought he was the Ellis we all feared we were getting today

Jeremy Sharp will be another DMac he is going to be an absolute gun, a real footballer that guy

It is so good to see us reading the ball better at stoppages and around packs, areas where we were just left for dead last year, there is an intuitive spread and clearance mentality now we have never had before

Is anyone else concerned with the extremely high amount of behinds we're kicking? It could really come back to hurt us in close games!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back