Game Day Marsh Series- Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Richmond(Norm Minns Oval - 4:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

On average one goal every two games, I wouldn’t be calling that “regular”.

I think he’d need to be averaging closer to a goal a game, if that is what’s going to keep him in the side.

Considering he's played forward once every 4-5 games I reckon he's tracking ok.

I found the commentary interesting too. When Grimes cleaned up JDG they all had a little chuckle and almost applauded the aggressiveness. When Prestia took a mark in their forward 50 and Mayne pulled up instead of cleaning him up in the contest they were all “oh that’s the right thing to do in a preseason game. It doesn’t benefit anyone if you clean up players like that in a Marsh series game.”
I could just imagine how outraged they would have all been if a Tigers player had been cleaned up the way Jordy was...
Typical Richmond Media Mafia

Typical Richmond Media Mafia
None of the commentators were tigers supporters Dave. It was just typical subtle anti pies bias. They wouldn’t have even realised they’d done it.

The facts is Phillips is loved internally and no way he gets dropped but reckon a few a head of him

Stephenson, can’t see him playing until rd 2 or 3

Treloar won’t be back till 2 or 3 as well

Cameron will play Reid won’t

Wills unfortunately plays a head of Sier.

Pies won’t pull the trigger on the likes of Keane or any of the younger players

Thomas & WHE need to start well this year otherwise they’ll be in and out of the team if the kids start coming through

Noble, really starting to like this kid and what he bring, if only he had 4-5 inch of growth left in him!

The facts is Phillips is loved internally and no way he gets dropped but reckon a few a head of him

Treloar won’t be back till 2 or 3 as well

Cameron will play Reid won’t

Wills unfortunately plays a head of Sier.

Pies won’t pull the trigger on the likes of Keane or any of the younger players

Thomas & WHE need to start well this year otherwise they’ll be in and out of the team if the kids start coming through

Noble, really starting to like this kid and what he bring, if only he had 4-5 inch of growth left in him!
Stephenson will play next week and will play Rd 1 barring injury. He's fit and he's recovered from glandular from what I understand and is best 22.

Agree with your other observations - except for Noble (every team has smaller types that he can play on Lachie Murphy, Charlie Cameron, Ed Betts....Weightman and Ryan/Pettrucelle). He might wish to be stronger built to tackle some of them, but his height and speed isn't a problem. Maynard can tackle guys like Betts, Robbie Gray or Liam Ryan types if they prove too strong for Noble anyhow. We need a smaller, zippy backman in our side for the run they provide and we have plenty of mid-sized backs (Crisp, Maynard, Langdon, Shaz, Murphy, Mayne, Greenwood, Appleby...even Howe who is quick and can play shorter)

Phillips is best 22 and likely to be so all year. He is consistent and runs all day.

At the end of the year he might end up in the same position as James Aish and be a valuable asset for the club to trade for salary cap reasons.

But there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and then. In the meantime his positives far outweigh his negatives.

But Stevo isn't injured, so I don't know why you would think he won't appear until Rd 2 or 3. He was a late withdrawal from the Wangaratta match due to "personal family issues", but that wil only be temporary and he doesn't have any injury issues as far as I know.

But Stevo isn't injured, so I don't know why you would think he won't appear until Rd 2 or 3. He was a late withdrawal from the Wangaratta match due to "personal family issues", but that wil only be temporary and he doesn't have any injury issues as far as I know.
Spot on. He was chosen to play so you would assume he will play this weekend.

Spot on. He was chosen to play so you would assume he will play this weekend.

He was at United v Kings and spoke with Durwayne Russell about it who communicated that there’s nothing sinister about it and he’ll be out there v St Kilda.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back