Game Day Marsh Series- Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Richmond(Norm Minns Oval - 4:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game plan - they looked like they were alternating between two speeds. Slow steady controlled and then game on blitz through the middle. That balance was good.

Yep,

That's what I took from it, none of this massage the ball on the contest win to the outside bullshit that invited pressure, like last year.

Slow and steady in possession unless there was clear avenue to put the foot on the gas - pleasing. Only occasional skill errors blemished the view.

I watched the last 3 qtrs and on face value (not enough camera coverage to see more of the structure) but it seemed to be back to suffocate the opposition and then have outside receivers at the ready. Only a pre season hit out and the tigs had a lot of good cattle out but to be able to do this to that system (rich) was really pleasing. And it was pleasing to move away from that control transition crap from last year.

Off one step, a kick on the boundary standing still chip pass.
He's done his string mate.

He’s absolutely done something, but he kicked it 50 down the line off a few steps. On face value it didn’t look a bad one given all available evidence, however even awareness at Collingwood is a 4-6 week break (Elliott in 2019).

Overall a very pleasing performance until the last few minutes when the injury happened.

I actually think Treloar is a vital player for us. Our midfield is very one paced, and he adds some real spring in there. It probably means we'll need to see a bit more of De Goey and Elliott in the midfield to add that pace. We can maybe afford to do this a bit more when Stephenson returns.

I liked the look of the forward line with Cox/Cameron, Reid and Mihocek. I thought it operated really well. Not sure if anything was wrong with Reid or if it was just precautionary, but he has had a big pre-season and has dominated nearly every intra game. So there is a chance we'll play all 3.

I enjoyed Keane's game and also Daicos. They are perhaps the 2 guys who pushed for selection. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of Bianco and Rantall. Small glimpses of Rantall were positive. Darcy Cameron looks like a good pick up as well. Going to be hard to keep him out of the side, but they'll probably stick with Cox a bit longer. He was pretty good as well.

I do realize it was just a pre-season hitout yesterday, but it demonstrated to me the problem we have had for several seasons now - Brodie Grundy is not an especially effective, centre bounce clearance ruck man. To see both Cox and Cameron tap the ball clear to our mids on quite a few occasions yesterday was a rare and beautiful sight.
Brodie usually directs it down into the melee of players at his feet, which is not very efficient. He's an absolutely brilliant round the ground ruckman, where his mobility, strength and incredible stamina come to the fore.

Keane for a 19yo KPB showed a lot. Can see what the hype on him from the VFL last year was all about.

Daicos was solid but he needed to be in a 1st round practice match. He would need to at least match that to be in the mix for round 1. Make or break year so he needs to come out firing.

Rantall was impressive and like look of Bianco. They will obviously start VFL but hopefully both have something.
I didnt realize Keane was so young. Thats great news in terms of his learning trajectory, plenty of time left.

Last edited:
I do realize it was just a pre-season hitout yesterday, but it demonstrated to me the problem we have had for several seasons now - Brodie Grundy is not an especially effective, centre bounce clearance ruck man. To see both Cox and Cameron tap the ball clear to our mids on quite a few occasions yesterday was a rare and beautiful sight.
Brodie usually directs it down into the melee of players at his feet, which is not very efficient. He's an absolutely brilliant round the ground ruckman, where his mobility, strength and incredible stamina come to the fore.

Cameron/Cox rotate centre ruck and fwd and Grundy as the tallest centre square midfielder in the AFL/boundary ruck ? He is a clearance machine.......

LOL :D

Cameron/Cox rotate centre ruck and fwd and Grundy as the tallest centre square midfielder in the AFL/boundary ruck ? He is a clearance machine.......

LOL :D

You know, I'd really like to see this given a run!!!! Seriously. It would have other teams scrambling as to how to stop Grundy's influence, plus we'd have an additional tall in our forward line and more centre clearances. Happy days!
(Didn't Adam Goodes win his second Brownlow after transitioning from ruck into tall wingman?)

I didnt realize Keane was so young. Thats great news in terms of learning trajectory, plenty of time left.
Which is the exact reason why I'm patient on Tohill. A few here have already written him off but he's a kid under the age of 20 who is playing key forward in an unfamiliar game and has only spent a year in the VFL. Maybe if he gets re-contracted and is playing at the same level of skill at the end of 2021 as he does now there might be cause for concern, but right now it's way too early.

Keane has been impressive, Tohill needs time to develop. Players develop at different rates.

Didn’t Reid get injured? I’d have Cameron in before Cox on that performance. Cameron was impressive whilst Cox was underwhelming.

I think they said in the commentary that Reid was only scheduled to play limited time and that the ice on his foot was a normal component of his recovery.

I actually thought Cox was good. Be interested to see what his stats were.

Cameron seemed to have most of his impact playing ruck. Maybe someone at the game can confirm either way but it appeared even his 2 goals came playing in that role and drifting forward I thought. Grundy's return will curtail that opportunity. Not sure how much time he was actually playing forward but didn't have the same impact in that role.

I didnt realize Keane was so young. Thats great news in terms of learning trajectory, plenty of time left.

Turns 20 next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, I'd really like to see this given a run!!!! Seriously. It would have other teams scrambling as to how to stop Grundy's influence, plus we'd have an additional tall in our forward line and more centre clearances. Happy days!
(Didn't Adam Goodes win his second Brownlow after transitioning from ruck into tall wingman?)
Have Cox and DeGoey start in midfield, Grundy and Sidey across half forward...those two then move up and take the main midfield roles, whilst Cox n DeGoey drift forward!!

Almost back to the A.Rocca days, when he was our best tap ruck...but also our best forward option!!

Some very good signs

Keane did well
Noble was everywhere as the sweeper
Mayne the steadying influence as link man
Crisp a star
Cameron looked good (to be fair to Cox he didnt so much wrong either, and the deep forward role is very much feast v famine)
Daicos got involved a bit more
Loved the

We need two DeGoey’s!!

A tough job fitting in what 6-7 players considered walk up starts to that team!

Some very good signs

Keane did well
Noble was everywhere as the sweeper
Mayne the steadying influence as link man
Crisp a star
Cameron looked good (to be fair to Cox he didnt so much wrong either, and the deep forward role is very much feast v famine)
Daicos got involved a bit more
Loved the

We need two DeGoey’s!!

A tough job fitting in what 6-7 players considered walk up starts to that team!

To fit in the five big V players and drop the eight man bench down to 4.... that’s nine players to drop!!!!

I’ll give it a crack

Atu
Cameron
T brown
Reid
Madgen
Keane
Treloar ?????
Murphy
Bianco
Rantall

With WHE and Thomas on the fringe.

Still have no idea what the club will do with regards to splitting Cameron and Cox in the next Marsh game.

Do you for whatever reason play both (with Grundy main ruck), do you sub one off at half time for the other? Or do you have one play the full VFL practice game and your first choice play the Marsh game?

Part of me knows we know what we get from Cox, and would love a better look at Cameron, but competitive game time will benefit both big men at this stage of the year.

Most intriguing part of Round 1 IMO.

Still have no idea what the club will do with regards to splitting Cameron and Cox in the next Marsh game.

Do you for whatever reason play both (with Grundy main ruck), do you sub one off at half time for the other? Or do you have one play the full VFL practice game and your first choice play the Marsh game?

Part of me knows we know what we get from Cox, and would love a better look at Cameron, but competitive game time will benefit both big men at this stage of the year.

Most intriguing part of Round 1 IMO.

Can’t see Cameron pushing Cox out of the side just yet.

He needs to establish his forward credentials first, not withstanding that he kicked two good goals from set shots yesterday.

When Grundy did this against GWS over and over again when we needed a goal in the prelim, it killed us. He hits it down to his own feet then clears his own ball.

Play Cox for centre bounces and push him forward. Grundy plays round the ground.

Depending on match ups, could we see Keane play alongside Roughy as the key backs, and we let Darcy roam around the backline as he pleases?

I'm very interested in the match committee exploring Keane in the senior side a bit more

Depending on match ups, could we see Keane play alongside Roughy as the key backs, and we let Darcy roam around the backline as he pleases?

I'm very interested in the match committee exploring Keane in the senior side a bit more

Probably not in 2020. It’s a system that would rely on firmer grounds in less greasy conditions so March to May and September. I don’t think he gets picked in that structure early season without injuries to Murphy and Howe and you’d be loathe to do it late season if you can avoid it. If he’s eligible to play I expect it’s when we lose of the two you named to injury.

The coaches have eyes - they sit together in the coachs' box on match day.

Any suggestions as to why they seemingly don't do anything or their actions are ineffective?

I mean after 2 dud hit outs in a key final surely the instruction goes out?. or on field leaders say something?

Ok, got to watch the last quarter now so here are a few thoughts;

WHE - will be fine. Is a gun and we need him in the side linking the front and back halves. Bucks has said we will be more attacking this year, and WHE is essential to us generating faster ball movement, especially on the wider MCG. Too much emphasis is being placed on a praccy match.

Keane - to my mind should be up for selection ahead of Murphy. Murphy is a lovely kick but still too light and too slow. If we need a third tall defender, alongside Moore and Roughy, and Shaz hasn’t come up we can keep Keane on speed dial. Development this year will be great to watch.

Rantall - contradicting what I just said about putting too much emphasis on praccy matches, I’m ready to go the early call on Rantall. He will make it. The question is how far will he go?

Bianco - didn’t see enough, but kicking was as advertised.

Phillips - not a great praccy match, but narrow grounds are not his go. He’ll be fine..

Cameron - very promising, would like to see more impact as a forward, but then again our kicking into the forward line was worse than abysmal. Should convert at a very high rate which is important because our small forwards are so good.

De Goey - is the difference in midfield. Must play nearly 50-50 for us to be competitive at clearances this year. Totally changes the way we look in the midfield because he is proactive rather than reactive.

Daicos - used it well when he had it, but I didn’t see the impact that many others apparently saw. Not yet convinced he has, or will, make the leap.

Atu - not ready.

Reid - depth.

Tyler - developing but not ready.

Cal - already a very good, clever player and if he can develop further will be a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back