Game Day Marsh Series, R2: Carlton v Brisbane, Sunday March 8th, 6.40pm (AEDT) @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Definition of a Hack

A footballer who when he/she gets a game does not have the skill set to compete at the level. Most commonly the inability to compete at the level consists of an inability to make decisions in the time provided, an inability to execute skills under the pressure applied, and/or an inability to compete 1 on 1 with direct opponents.

Newnes comfortably meets the definition.
Comfortably meeting your made up definition doesn't make it so.

He has played good footy in the past, and his best could still be in front of him. Allowing him an adjustment period and a few games before deciding his fate should surely be the minimum expectation from supporters.

There are times when judgment should be reserved. There are times when judgment should be delivered.

In the case of Jones I, like practically every poster on BF, formed the view that he was incompetent at AFL level. Eventually he was dropped to the reserves. He was tried at FB and, at that level, performed well. He got back into the senior side only because of injury. He excelled in the new role and all of us who judged him incompetent at AFL have revised our opinion. New facts, new opinion.

In the case of Newnes he departed a lowly club as a mature footballer without any sense of regret from the lowly club. There are no off-field issues suggested, just lack of ability.

Coming to a new club can cause a player to review their approach to footy. The review can lead to very significant improvement. Whilst there is no reason to think that a mature player like Newnes would excel coming to Carlton, there was no reason to think it was impossible.

Newnes detractors (such as me) have raised his poor ball use/decision making. These are "skill" issues. We are not waiting for him to develop a tank or build muscle strength etc etc. 2 games after a full preseason is not an insignificant data base to form a judgment on a mature player. Praccy matches are played in part precisely to enable judgments to be formed as to whether a given player can play a certain role. I assume Newnes went out with instructions to reach certain targets, whether they be defensive running, nullifying an opponent or winning ball. I do not know and do not pretend to know what match targets Newnes was given and whether he met them or not. But if he met any ball use target that was set it is not just Newnes I don't want around.

Nevertheless I (like the MC and everyone else) form judgments of players based on praccy matches. Some of those judgments are suspended (as with TDK) on the "It is too early to tell what he could be." Some judgments, as with Polson and Newnes, there is no plausible basis to suspend. You invite me to reserve judgment. Why? What do I need to see that I haven't already seen? Playing him in the senior side to watch him butcher the ball a la Jordan Russell (who had the skill set but not the mental concentration) or a Kerridge (who had his uses in a very young side and did occasionally kick a decent goal) week in week out in the hope that for no apparent reason he will suddenly hit targets and be adequate with ball in hand seems utterly pointless.

As with any judgment, mine may be wrong. Newnes might improve his ball use and decision-making and become a top 10 finisher in our BnF. Stranger things have happened. It is just not the winning side of the bet. The odds are stacked against.

Finally, playing a mature player with substandard ball skills is just a disaster for a youngish team where everyone is learning to play with each other. A mature player brought in to the team must be predictable to his teammates or he is useless. I do not expect Eddie to fare so well in the season proper when a defender will be assigned to sit on him all day and cover his goal scoring out the back. Eddie is of course highly skilled and, if what he does is anything but predictable, the unpredictable things he does is predictable in their unpredictability to his teammates. He will absorb the attention of a defender and will still contribute to the team. Newnes, if his woeful disposal continues, will be a nightmare not just for supporters like us, it will be a nightmare for teammates too afraid to lead for him because of the risk of being burnt.

Not that I disagree Windy, but maybe another factor was that the Saints brought in a fair amount of players that would have stretched the salary cap. Perhaps they then preferred to top up a number of their kids, than keep him on the list.

Newnes can have some poor games at times, but generally his disposal by foot would rate him just below elite and far better than half the players on all club lists

It’s that inate ability to kick it long on a flat and fast trajectory that makes him such a weapon and what we have missed, Teague must just be ecstatic to have him back as he suits and solidifies the game style same goes for Willo they are made to play Teague footy.

I really don’t think it was a coincidence that both the VFL and senior boys went hell for leather Teague transition footy for a half and then put the one wood away for the rest of the game, wanted some practice but didn’t want to show to much for to long, definitely some foxing going on the games were just to similar.

Cue in rack half way through Q3

Interesting observation - I reckon Jack is one of the smartest players we have on the list as far as footy IQ goes- as a forward he is an ordinary mark and kick for goal. I'm more impressed with his field play tbh - he is one of the few we have that is more likely to win/halve a contest with ground ball and stick his tackles - his field kicking is usually very good as opposed to his set shot goal kicking....I can see him as a very good third tall defender or even bigger bodied midfielder as his body fills out - right now his pressure acts and ability to make correct decisions gives him a utility function that will see him play firsts - until (at least) Harry /Charlie become available imo anyway.
Agree, although ‘ordinary’ may be a tad harsh. He’s not brilliant. But he’s not bad. I’d have him a touch over average mark for a player his size. I’m constantly impressed by his ability to not only halve marking contests/ground ball contests 1v1 but half them 1v2.

You’re right, it’s his spacial awareness and decision making that leaves me with confidence he’ll make it as mid going forward. Feel very safe with the ball in his hands in active play. Just not so much set shot at goal. It will come though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back