Marsh Series - Round 1 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see players perform in.practice matches.But wouldn't criticize anyone who didn't perform too harshly.like tuning a musical instrument, as long as it's all ready for the concert.

Am I the only one who thought Bailey Williams was solid last night? I thought he looked much better than last years.

McLean was poor but I thought he was off in the third qtr and he also received a heavy knock early doors.

impressed with Keith, shache, crozier, daniel, sweet and Wallis looked sharp when he came on.

All in all last night was a good hit out.

I listened to the game on MMM while watching the Aussies lose to India in the women's world cup both were
a bit of a waste of time to be honest. Heard a few North Melbourne names that were not all that familiar to
me, they scored a couple of deep goals with little opposition. Usual suspects dominated along with a few
useful cameos, total disaster no Naughton and Bruce experiment and from the sounds of Naughton needing
an minor knee procedure it's not happening anytime soon. Keath and Crozier were the highlights down back,
but against nothing and with most of their transition missing. Can't help feeling Bontempelli just got a bigger
target strapped to his back, can't see him having it that easy anytime soon. Comfortable win yes, but we will
play better sides in the VFL this year.
I don’t know how anyone can form an opinion based on radio commentary alone.
You seem to be taking an altogether negative view from an overwhelming positive performance.
Naughton and Bruce not playing together is disappointing but hardly a ‘total disaster’.
Yes, Bont will get more attention from the opposition. By all accounts he is expecting it. Macrae’s use of the footy wasn’t great last night. Once he shakes off the rust he is another headache for our opponents. If teams can lock down Bont, Macrae and Dunkley then fair play to them. We have options and one more brilliant performance from our talisman cannot possibly be reason to fear the worst.
Cheer up mate. It was a good start to the year.

I don't get why you / others think there was no need to respond with some sort of objection at the time to a player [esp a young guy] getting knocked out while he had his head down going for the ball. It's not something that they always just get over - look at Picko etc.
I wouldn't judge how they should respond on what bearing it has on the game, or the importance of the game.
At what point would you think players should voice their objection to treatment of a team mate?
As much as I hate Marley Williams (don’t know how he’s on an AFL list) there was nothing untoward with what he did imo. Richards was upright and open and dropped suddenly in an attempt to kick the ball off the ground milliseconds before getting an good old fashioned bump. Maybe a bit more should have been made of it by his teammates but wouldn’t read to much into it.

You seem to be taking an altogether negative view from an overwhelming positive performance.
Naughton and Bruce not playing together is disappointing but hardly a ‘total disaster’.
Yes, Bont will get more attention from the opposition. By all accounts he is expecting it. Macrae’s use of the footy wasn’t great last night. Once he shakes off the rust he is another headache for our opponents. If teams can lock down Bont, Macrae and Dunkley then fair play to them. We have options and one more brilliant performance from our talisman cannot possibly be reason to fear the worst.
True Mantis I only listened on the radio, but I was anxious too see the chemistry between Naughton and Bruce
and was disappointed to hear of his knee swelling. The North Melbourne aspect annoyed me more because
that was nowhere near their best side, but that should be the purpose of pre-season games I guess. I was
happy with Sweet in the ruck early in the game, but I guess I wanted to hear a few new names and not the
usual reliance on the same guys in the same positions. I know what Bont can do and Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel,
Hunter, Lloyd, etc, I guess I wanted to hear something new play Lipinski full time mid, play West give young
Weightman and Cavarra a go. If North Melbourne ran out that side all year they would not win a game, full
stop. May as well have played Port Melbourne would have been a better game.

I honestly think I was the most impressed by Schache. He almost took 5 or 6 really strong contested grabs. But what impressed me most was how aggressively he was attacking the footy and crashing packs. Watching the game live at the stadium allowed me to see some of the early body work he was putting into his opponents. He's a bees dick from breaking out and being that strong marking tall forward.

May as well have played Port Melbourne would have been a better game.
I think it was actually a very good and unusually competitive pre-season game. If anything it was probably a good thing for us to be playing against quite a few of their fringe players looking to make an impact.

I honestly think I was the most impressed by Schache. He almost took 5 or 6 really strong contested grabs. But what impressed me most was how aggressively he was attacking the footy and crashing packs. Watching the game live at the stadium allowed me to see some of the early body work he was putting into his opponents. He's a bees dick from breaking out and being that strong marking tall forward.
And thank * for that. Can you imagine if we had 2018 Schache and Ryan Gardner as 2 of our 3 tall forwards?

True Mantis I only listened on the radio, but I was anxious too see the chemistry between Naughton and Bruce
and was disappointed to hear of his knee swelling. The North Melbourne aspect annoyed me more because
that was nowhere near their best side, but that should be the purpose of pre-season games I guess. I was
happy with Sweet in the ruck early in the game, but I guess I wanted to hear a few new names and not the
usual reliance on the same guys in the same positions. I know what Bont can do and Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel,
Hunter, Lloyd, etc, I guess I wanted to hear something new play Lipinski full time mid, play West give young
Weightman and Cavarra a go. If North Melbourne ran out that side all year they would not win a game, full
stop. May as well have played Port Melbourne would have been a better game.

Your outright negativity for a preseason game (and a win at that) is amazing.

There is no way on earth that Lipinski or West are going to see any major centre bounce minutes at all this season with all of Bont, Dunkley, Libba, Macrae and B. Smith. So they should definitely be put in a position they can succeed in.

Yes its nice and exciting to see young players the same way as a child its nice to take you happy meal toy out of its plastic wrapping and chuck it around the room a few times. But ultimately unless they are of a very high standard (like a Bont, B Smith or Naughton) they will not make a lasting impact in their first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge always wants to keep a lot of things under wraps until the main season. He also likes to experiment with tactics and positioning in these games, as well as seeing if players are capable of following instructions and how this affects certain phases of the game.

Your outright negativity for a preseason game (and a win at that) is amazing.

There is no way on earth that Lipinski or West are going to see any major centre bounce minutes at all this season with all of Bont, Dunkley, Libba, Macrae and B. Smith. So they should definitely be put in a position they can succeed in.

Yes its nice and exciting to see young players the same way as a child its nice to take you happy meal toy out of its plastic wrapping and chuck it around the room a few times. But ultimately unless they are of a very high standard (like a Bont, B Smith or Naughton) they will not make a lasting impact in their first year.
I only listened to the game on the radio so it's a bit hard commenting on the ball movement or anything that i
could not see. What am I suppose to say that sounded impressive, it totally blew me away and left me with
no breath in my lungs. Sorry if I wanted to be harsher I could say Lewis Young our dynamic forward was not
even named in the initial starting team he was an emergency, last minute in. At least the closed sessions
have a bit of mystery about them and I would never dislike a post before I actually tried to understand it's
meaning.

Schache totally underrated atm kicks goals every game provides a marking target on the wing and up forward his pressure improves every game and hes 22 years old a huge steal for us and smart as fu** recruiting
He is only going to get better and be more damaging with Bruce and Norts

I only listened to the game on the radio so it's a bit hard commenting on the ball movement or anything that i
could not see. What am I suppose to say that sounded impressive, it totally blew me away and left me with
no breath in my lungs. Sorry if I wanted to be harsher I could say Lewis Young our dynamic forward was not
even named in the initial starting team he was an emergency, last minute in. At least the closed sessions
have a bit of mystery about them and I would never dislike a post before I actually tried to understand it's
meaning.
Perhaps what you're alluding to is that you hoped to hear of some of the lesser lights 'breaking out' rather than hearing the same names that we have heard for the past few seasons. Bont and Hunter stood out clearly, while Dunkley and Macrae got plenty of it. But were there are any others that looked as if they have taken a major step? From my perspective at the ground, the rest were all good or at least serviceable but there wasn't much that I haven't seen before, apart from Crozier who just keeps getting better each season. Schache, as others have mentioned, was more energised and made a good contribution but he still dropped a few marks he should have taken. I can understand your questioning but it is far too early to assess what improvements, if any, other players have made.

meaning.

If you haven't seen the game - WHY ARE YOU COMMENTING AT ALL?

Perhaps what you're alluding to is that you hoped to hear of some of the lesser lights 'breaking out' rather than hearing the same names that we have heard for the past few seasons. Bont and Hunter stood out clearly, while Dunkley and Macrae got plenty of it. But were there are any others that looked as if they have taken a major step? From my perspective at the ground, the rest were all good or at least serviceable but there wasn't much that I haven't seen before, apart from Crozier who just keeps getting better each season. Schache, as others have mentioned, was more energised and made a good contribution but he still dropped a few marks he should have taken. I can understand your questioning but it is far too early to assess what improvements, if any, other players have made.
Yep pretty much, plus the fact that Naughton had swelling in his good knee and needs an arthroscope which
could mean 4 weeks or something bad maybe 6 to 8 weeks depending on what is causing the swelling. I did
not have to be there to be a little flat with that outcome. I mentioned Keath and Crozier being positives, but
they were missing a vast chunk of their transition so it was hard to draw many conclusions from the hit out.

One thing I dislike about the edited highlights packages is that they show almost exclusively goal scoring sequences. Plus the occasional big hit (Richards) or screamer (Taylor) that can't be ignored. The industry, athleticism and creativity of intercepting and rebounding defenders can only be seen if you watch the entire game. So I saw no worthwhile footage of JJ, Keath, Crozier, Daniel, Williams, etc (there was the odd fleeting glimpse of an attempted smother or tackle when the highlights showed a North goal).

One thing I dislike about the edited highlights packages is that they show almost exclusively goal scoring sequences. Plus the occasional big hit (Richards) or screamer (Taylor) that can't be ignored. The industry, athleticism and creativity of intercepting and rebounding defenders can only be seen if you watch the entire game. So I saw no worthwhile footage of JJ, Keath, Crozier, Daniel, Williams, etc (there was the odd fleeting glimpse of an attempted smother or tackle when the highlights showed a North goal).
And Roarke's spoil helped set up a goal!

I don't get why you think that voicing "some sort of objection" would have any baring on how the rest of a game may play out regardless of the games status. 30 seconds of pantomime bruise feee pushing and shoving may well get the fans blood up as they sit on their couch, the players on the other hand are professionals who are drilled mercilessly to set up for the next play, lest they lose focus on what is important like winning the game.

This is not suburban football where you can spend the rest of a game settling scores on and off the ball.
I actually didn't say that voicing an objection would have a bearing on the rest of the game. I just think it's the right thing to do when a teammate gets smashed unfairly. But maybe it would have a bearing in the game where such incidents happen or in future games if opponents do or don't think they can do stuff like that without us responding.
Also I didn't suggest they should "...spend the rest of a game settling scores on and off the ball."

I would be interested to know:
'At what point would you think players should voice their objection to treatment of a team mate?'

Should they have done anything when Greene roughed up the Bont?

Or will that just have to diddly do?
1582341855067.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back