Marsh Series - Round 1 vs North Melbourne

I know they say preseason doesn't matter, but I've come round to the belief that they show where a team's head is at. We won that at an absolute canter.

Final thoughts on Sweet, Keath and Schache tonight?
Keath is a lock just got better at the game wore on.

Sweet is a work in progress. Would have been a gun ruck in the 80s. Uses the ball surprisingly well. Still needs to build his tank.

Schache isn't a KPF but god he uses the ball well. As a tall outside flanker type he'll be useful.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hayes needs to improve his kicking before the season start and he'd have a spot.

Except for a couple of blues early williams was ok. His evasion and long kicking is a big help.

Sweet not quite there yet for AFL but has a good tap work.

Roake was pretty good tonight.

Bont aside, we didn't learn too much tonight.
Keath did what he does and we'll be good for us.
Young played a solid second ruck role as he did for a couple of VFL games last year.

Right now the second wing spot is wide open. Richards didn't start there before he was off for the night, Roarke Smith showed real signs there tonight.

Cordy's aggression was pleasing to see, we really need that.

I thought Wallis showed he has some real hardness as a forward we can take chances. He's a Gia-like forward who might carve out a similar late career.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Wallis showed he has some real hardness as a forward we can take chances. He's a Gia-like forward who might carve out a similar late career.
Agree. Think Wal could be the fixed "general" of the forward line. Marshalling troops, directing and adding a mature body to hunt and entrap the footy in our forward half. Not as skillful as gia but I see him as a great permanent presence up forward.

You don't pick and choose when to stick up for your teammates. Your mate was just knocked out cold by a blatant cheap shot ffs. Whether its a final or practice match or even at a bloody empty park, someone has to at least get in his ear to let him know that's not on.

This is the same attitude that led to Bont getting punched in the guts, eye gouged, head slammed into the ground with not a single player flying the flag for our best player.

And how exactly did not flying the the flag during a meaningless practice game have a baring on how the game turned out?

From where I sat the boys seemed to use that moment as a catalyst for putting the foot down and motoring away with the game.

So, let me reiterate my earlier comment...meh!

May 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On the train home from the game now. Should have worn a better jacket, the night was crisp! My thoughts on who played well:

Bont: What more can be said, really? Was playing a whole other game to everyone else. Lethal possessions, awesome goals and brought so many into the game

Keath: Felt so much more comfortable with him patrolling the back half. Intercepted at will, and didn’t get pushed off contests. Gun 🔫

Daniel: Aside from one absolute howler in defence, he set up so many scoring chains. Has elite vision, and never rushes his kicks. Should play all year in defence and be AA.

Young: Could have easily had 4-5 goals. Marked well, but I’d still like to see him do it against better opposition. Don’t think he has a place up forward when Bruce and Naughton return. Maybe he stays in ahead of Dale? Can’t see him in defence. He may take Cordy or Wood’s spot.

Crozier: Marked absolutely everything in sight. With him, Keath and Wood (If he regains his form) are opposition forwards any hope of marking the ball? 😂

Who needs to improve:

1. Macrae: Seemed rusty. Had a fair few turnovers from what I saw. Will be fine though. Maybe not fully fit?

2. Hunter: Lots of high, around the corner kicks in hope out of defence. Just give it to Daniel, mate.

Had a fantastic talk with Irene Chatfield. Finally met one of my heroes 👍

See everyone round 1! Go Dogs

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am not a Hayes fan by any stretch, but he had a very productive half when he came on.

I always thought Sweet was just a tap ruckmen and that's about it. His pretty clean by hand and foot. Definitely something there.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Final thoughts on Sweet, Keath and Schache tonight?

Sweet showed enough. Showed a bit with his ball use. I like him as backup if English goes down.

Keath was solid. Didn't do a lot wrong which is what you want from a tall defender.

Schache was pretty good. Has great foot skills.

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was a workmanlike performance from a team perspective there was nothing good or bad.

Bont was already the best player in the league but that gap may well grow this year, I don’t think I’ve ever seen player look that good in the first practice match.

The non Hunter wing is a bit off a concern with Jong seemingly earmarked for the role and R Smith playing there tonight it’s seems an odd role for players whose foot skills are their biggest weakness.

The team lacked a bit of firepower in the air going forward, so having two of the best contested marks in the game to slot in down there will be handy.

Back