Autopsy Marsh Series Week 1 - Gold Coast vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Saturday 22nd February

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause he’s soft as butter and plays with zero aggression. He is a reasonable tap ruckman though. That’s about all he’s good at. And that’s when an opposition ruckman isn’t getting tough with him, being aggressive and shoving him around. He’s too nice.

It's also worth noting that, for all the smoke being blown up Z. Smith's backside after last night, we actually won the hitouts (and clearances FWIW) with Fort shouldering most of the ruck load (Stanley only played 48% match time, some of which was up forward).

Don't get me wrong, our ruckmen were no good last night and if Witts was playing he'd have given them a bath on that performance.

His handballing is usually outstanding, but I agree that last night it was terrible. I wouldn't be judging him, or anyone else, based off the first game of the pre-season.
There's two ends top every effective disposal. How many of his friends were running into space for him and how many didn't care enough?

As I said, they could be wrong.

It will be a monumental effort to go beyond a prelim this year without Kelly and with all our guns one year older. Logic says not, but clearly the club believes we can do it.
It would have to come from coaching. The game plan of the last few years is ineffective. Ideally we'd be looking to capitalise on the talls up forward - Hawk, Jenkins and Sav, but our ball movement is so slow it never favours them. Certain players shouldn't be played in certain spots, either, but they inevitably will be. Guthrie in the back half slamming it to opposition players over and over again, Blicavs on a wing...

No actually, I’ve been a fan for a while actually but I just joined recently Bigfoot’s (well fairly recently) so I do know how footy runs and do know that a team that were minor premiers last year should not be losing to the wooden spooners by 10 goals. Could the wooden spooners challenge? Absolutely but to win by 10 goals it either means they have risen by a lot or it means that the other team have significantly gotten weaker. This is a result that you guys cannot dismiss.
Nah pretty sure we can mate

Then stop acting like you have absolutely no perspective. I can pull example after example after example of good teams losing to s**t teams in preseason games and it meaning nothing come season proper. These games are meaningless. If you want to get your hopes up for your team's chances of doing well in season 2020 based on glorified training runs, then by all means, be my guest.

You're so eager to come around to the Geelong board now. I hope you're just as keen to do so post round 2.

The result might be meaningless but the game is absolutely not meaningless.

as another poster said above, each team will have things they want toget out of eachpre season match which we as general public have no idea of. Ihavent watched Chris Scott’s press conference to know whether he was happy that Geelong achieved what they set out to do.

I do know that Stewart dew said there were a number of things that Gc worked on in pre season training and managed to implement well. So from that perspective. I’d call it a win for us.

doesn’t mean Geelong didn’t also achieve what they wanted and had a philosophical win aswell.

as another poster said above, each team will have things they want toget out of eachpre season match which we as general public have no idea of. Ihavent watched Chris Scott’s press conference to know whether he was happy that Geelong achieved what they set out to do.

I do know that Stewart dew said there were a number of things that Gc worked on in pre season training and managed to implement well. So from that perspective. I’d call it a win for us.

doesn’t mean Geelong didn’t also achieve what they wanted and had a philosophical win aswell.
Pretty sure Geelong got what they wanted a holiday ....... at least that's what it looked like with the effort and side they used

Dew and GCS deserve all plaudits coming there way for last nights efforts. They were terrific. As the saying goes you can only beat the opposition that walks on to the park. And that they did with some style.

I suspect that GFC are embarrassed by what happened. I am sure they underestimated the GCS and the GFC "experiments" and "trialling", were half hearted at best anyway.

I am just glad that as a Geelong supporter that tripe wasn't served up to me live at a ground.

To conclude, barring disaster of injuries and alike, not making finals this year would be a complete and utter disaster and I think everyone here knows it. Maybe everyone except you.
I actually agree with Vdubs here.

Hawks, to me, look primed to make finals.
St.Kilda, should improve.
Melbourne, could easily bounce back from a woeful 2019.

Dogs, Pies, Eagles, Tigers, Giants, Lions should all be thereabouts again. Won’t take much for sides to miss the top 8, and that includes us.

Just finished watching - what a stinker!

One of the things I was keen to see was whether we'd worked on transitioning out of defence. Needless to say 🤢🤢🤮
Just because we saw no improvement doesn’t mean it wasn’t worked on over the summer. It just didn’t appear any better first game in

Back to the bloke that seen it come strait back over the goal umpires hat with 3 consecutive kick ins a couple of years back,two down the throat of opposition players and one out on the full.No thanks.
You need to get over your Guthrie hate.
You were there last night apparently. So you saw it first hand.

Here's a tip. Kicking out from full back to the boundary when you are a team that struggles with clearances isn't a good thing.

If you were to ask, I'm sure you'd be told with a high degree of smugness that the GFC are working on certain aspects of the player's development that are beyond your understanding and need to know.
Very hard to make someone who is slow quick - leg speed wise. So I doubt that would be put forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to get over your Guthrie hate.
You were there last night apparently. So you saw it first hand.

Here's a tip. Kicking out from full back to the boundary when you are a team that struggles with clearances isn't a good thing.
The bloke costs us more games and goals than he kicks and wins,he's a handy cap in the side and I reckon his brother played his last game for the Cats last night they have both been kissed on the dick by this coach.

I was referring to players being put in roles they are not suited to.......
Hmm! Thought his leg speed was the central issue the discussion, but I take your point.

In fairness, the movers-n-shakers did realise the error of their ways and make the move back to the midfield by half time apparently.

Didn't see the game but there has been quite some criticism of Narkle's disposal. According to the Hun his disposal accuracy was 85%.

Jesus, cue the melts. Why do people have to nuff so hard so early in the season? In 2018 we got smacked by the suns to the tune of 60 points in the pre-season opener. Our team that day had over half our regular side, and that was against the 2018 suns, who history has shown were one of the worst teams of all time.

Treat the game last night for what it was, exposure to our rookies, match fitness for our regulars, and try out a few game style tweaks.

Tommy Stewart back in Geelong for his coaching gig with the AFLW side - noticed he's got the right calf bandaged

Didn't seem to be a noticeable limp, but did anyone notice of he picked up a knock or bump to the calf last night?

Hmm! Thought his leg speed was the central issue the discussion, but I take your point.

In fairness, the movers-n-shakers did realise the error of their ways and make the move back to the midfield by half time apparently.

Didn't see the game but there has been quite some criticism of Narkle's disposal. According to the Hun his disposal accuracy was 85%.

Why they ever saw a need to move him from the only position he's suited to puzzled me, but unfortunately CS does stuff like that.......

Narkle? I was critical of his disposal too, but he did get a little bit better at one point but then I switched it off, so can't comment on his game in its entirety.

His foot skilles were dreadful in the first half first quarter in particular got better as the night progressed.

Narkle continued on from his very promising end to last season; his fault wasn't disposal, he just got over-ambitious a couple of times and ran himself into trouble.

I assume playing Constable in defence for a while was just to try to teach him to defend both generally and one-on-one, something they have done more or less with every young potential on-baller, as well as forwards. It will probably happen again when he plays in the 2nds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back