Autopsy Marsh Series Week 1 - Gold Coast vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Saturday 22nd February

Remove this Banner Ad

It's such a dumb question, which shows that the person asking has no idea what they're talking about but feels entitled to ask anyway.
I believe when it's time for questions you can ask whatever you want.
That's why you ask questions yeah? Because you don't know something?

No. This isn’t correct. A reasonable person would ask a question that was going to actually be answered.

Only an idiot would ask a question that couldn’t possibly be answered.

It’s an entitled presumption that we get to all ask any questions that we don’t know the answers to.

No. This isn’t correct. A reasonable person would ask a question that was going to actually be answered.

Only an idiot would ask a question that couldn’t possibly be answered.

It’s an entitled presumption that we get to all ask any questions that we don’t know the answers to.
Call me entitled then.
Anyone who's ever asked a politician a question is obviously an idiot.

TBH I couldn't see any coach answering any questions like that. Even from a journalist. It's just funny the crowd was offended.

I was there that night. No one was offended. The guy asked the boring Plan B question. Scott got a little defensive and returned serve by asking for the person to elaborate. The guy stumbled his way through a response that made little sense and the next question was quickly moved onto.

I personally don’t think Saturday’s game means anything, but can someone tell me how Stanley got sidestepped by Ben King for that goal? Rhys is 29, played 133 games, how did he not see that coming? Seriously the dumbest footballer going around.
That sort of s**t is why I dont rate the guy, just has no footy brain at all...

I was there that night. No one was offended. The guy asked the boring Plan B question. Scott got a little defensive and returned serve by asking for the person to elaborate. The guy stumbled his way through a response that made little sense and the next question was quickly moved onto.
Oh fair enough. Reading about it, it was like he got shouted down or something.

You can ask those questions but are you saying that poorly chosen/unhelpful questions don't exist?

The idea of a plan B actually being a cohesive thing that exists in the AFL in this modern evolution at the game relies on a ton of assumptions that don't actually make any sense. So you can't provide a straight answer that question in good faith, especially when the person is clearly already offside and likely to feel as though you're dodging his question unless you give the sort of answer he's already expecting.

There probably are ways to dig at what this guy wanted to that would be more useful, something akin to "Geelong supporters feel cursed to having to re-watch the same result at the end of every season with this current team, no matter what happens along the way there. What are you going to do to end this cycle?" Or "It seems the team spends far too long in games trying to execute a plan that isn't working, do the coaches worry about this and are you looking to change it?". I'm probably not great at writing questions, but the idea just to be more specific, don't make assumptions, and ask for something tangible/actionable. If you follow those concepts it doesn't matter who you are, I endorse asking questions to whoever you want to.

You can ask those questions but are you saying that poorly chosen/unhelpful questions don't exist?

The idea of a plan B actually being a cohesive thing that exists in the AFL in this modern evolution at the game relies on a ton of assumptions that don't actually make any sense. So you can't provide a straight answer that question in good faith, especially when the person is clearly already offside and likely to feel as though you're dodging his question unless you give the sort of answer he's already expecting.

There probably are ways to dig at what this guy wanted to that would be more useful, something akin to "Geelong supporters feel cursed to having to re-watch the same result at the end of every season with this current team, no matter what happens along the way there. What are you going to do to end this cycle?" Or "It seems the team spends far too long in games trying to execute a plan that isn't working, do the coaches worry about this and are you looking to change it?". I'm probably not great at writing questions, but the idea just to be more specific, don't make assumptions, and ask for something tangible/actionable. If you follow those concepts it doesn't matter who you are, I endorse asking questions to whoever you want to.
Yeah true. Not everyone is articulate though.

Yeah, to this point you’re right. It is entirely unfair for a normal supporter who may not know how to ask the question to get shunted aside.

But luckily there are avenues to do this. Bigfooty is one. It is not likely that you will get an answer from someone who works at the club, but you can get good estimations on why things are happening from intelligent supporters.

You don't have to be articulate, but you do need to be specific and free from assumptions. I tried to phrase my versions in plain English as well as I could, but I'm sure that there are other ways that anyone could ask relevant and useful questions about coaching/game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club has almost ‘over egged’ their efforts in explaining the poor performance in this game. Might show that (notwithstanding the genuine reason of the mid field talent missing) they were a little horrified about how badly beaten they were by last year’s wooden spooners. While they probably weren’t expecting a win I think they were expecting a better showing from the backs, the vaunted three prong tall forward set up and the new gen of mids and our rucks against a hobbled Smith.
Was actually useful to show that we do need to use those year end first round picks well to buttress our stocks for post 2021.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back