Autopsy Marsh Series Week 1 - Gold Coast vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Saturday 22nd February

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather have Parsons on the list than Hayball or Cowan. The latter two were the worst I had seen in the recent decade.
Not saying Parsons is great, just not the worst I've seen.
Tbh, they should try Parsons as a HBF.
HBF/Wing is his thing.

What a season it was though. Scott came in and got the players playing a game like old man Thompson never could that countered the reigning trend-setting premiers. I remember in his book Bomber saying he wanted to change the way the team played in late 2010, but the group was resistant to it. Evidently they needed a new voice, a new way of doing things. Now it's eight seasons since 2011, and our gameplan looks archaic and has yielded nothing. We have Scott talking about trying to change to be more attacking, but we're still seeing the same old from the same old who have been there for much of his tenure. Maybe a new voice, a new way of doing things, could produce different results.

Although part of me thinks that the time for that was several years ago and that we no longer have the group to really threaten.
Yep, we don't. But it's fun watching this group try and defy reality again this season.

Sadly, I am beginning to lose faith in #39. I’ve been an advocate, haven’t jumped off yet but one foots on the platform.
#34 remains the worst footballer I have ever seen represent the Geelong Football Club. As a fat 47 year old I reckon I would offer more than this waste of a list space. For the life of me cannot understand how he’s on the list. Dreadful player, should have taken up knitting.
Not many positives from last night, however #6, #19 and #30 at least had a crack and aren’t in the oldest group. Be nice to see the #23 of the first half of 2019 show up regularly as well.

Dont you know their names?

i still think you dont want to lose by nearly 70 points to the clear bottom side- ever.

Dont you know their names?

i still think you dont want to lose by nearly 70 points to the clear bottom side- ever.
Of coarse we don’t.

Not sure what’s more pathetic our effort against GC or you pretending to be a geelong supporter, when the team you actually support has won 2 out of the last 3 flags.

What’s the obsession with our mob? Was it because Snr used to give you nightmares as a youngster?

if it is meaningless why dont you not play? When you put yourself over the white line you must play football and accept the wack if you dont win but no, you lot are all dismissing this loss to you guys. It wasn't even close and both teams had strong teams. You only didn't have Selwood- he wouldn't have changed the game. The only thing he may have done is won you the free kick count like he does every week.
I’ll put it simply and clearly for you.
Talk about the game respectfully and you’ll be fine. And yes we were crap.
Deviate to taking s**t and taking cheap shots of no relevance to the discussion and you’ll get banned.
Remember you are on an opposition board not your own plastic hand out castle.
You have been advised.
Go Catters

Of coarse we don’t.

Not sure what’s more pathetic our effort against GC or you pretending to be a geelong supporter, when the team you actually support has won 2 out of the last 3 flags.

What’s the obsession with our mob? Was it because Snr used to give you nightmares as a youngster?

Wtf? Go and get knotted... dont tell me who i barrack for.

I personally don’t think Saturday’s game means anything, but can someone tell me how Stanley got sidestepped by Ben King for that goal? Rhys is 29, played 133 games, how did he not see that coming? Seriously the dumbest footballer going around.

I personally don’t think Saturday’s game means anything, but can someone tell me how Stanley got sidestepped by Ben King for that goal? Rhys is 29, played 133 games, how did he not see that coming? Seriously the dumbest footballer going around.

It's not the end but what l don't like seeing is them kicking their greatest winning margin on us.
I think it was their record though l may be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the end but what l don't like seeing is them kicking their greatest winning margin on us.
I think it was their record though l may be wrong.

Nah, they beat Hawthorn by 86 points back in 2017. :D Next highest was 83 against GWS a year or two after they joined the league.

I don't think I like Stewart kicking out.
I'm sure who else could do it. Maybe they go back to Guthrie.

we have the most unimaginative “kick in“ set up in the league I reckon.

probably has a bit to do with not having a dominant big man to kick to but also appears to be no system.

josh hunt used to make a fair few blues kicking out but he was also able to hit targets outside 50 from kick ins. the go to move nowadays is a barely 15m chip to the boundary or a kick to a mid with 2 opponents on him.

Stanley won't be the last bloke Ben King wrong foots.

we have the most unimaginative “kick in“ set up in the league I reckon.

probably has a bit to do with not having a dominant big man to kick to but also appears to be no system.

josh hunt used to make a fair few blues kicking out but he was also able to hit targets outside 50 from kick ins. the go to move nowadays is a barely 15m chip to the boundary or a kick to a mid with 2 opponents on him.
Clark for me is the one that can best utilize the new rules kicking in ,good penetrating accurate kick to start with,the pace to run on for the one two with a short kick in then long through the wing or center to the waitingDuncan Ratugolea Miers and co.

The positives:
- Clarke looked good running off half back...hope that’s his role
- Stewart looked solid for an interrupted pre-season
- Fort looks stronger
- Touhy looks fitter

Negatives:
- Depth looks suspect
- Fears Scott will play a team that’s too tall and lacks attack out of the backline were only increased.
- Was there a single non established player out there that might push into the beat 22?

HBF/Wing is his thing.

On Parsons. Agree with the best position assessment.

He continued, however, with his attempts at the "deft touch stuff" when body on the line was called for. Its not a good look and not Geelong.

He will play good footy in the twos again but unless we are decimated, he now needs 5 games in a row where he is in the bests and leaves the ground with more than just messy hair.

Last edited:
The positives:
- Clarke looked good running off half back...hope that’s his role
- Stewart looked solid for an interrupted pre-season
- Fort looks stronger
- Touhy looks fitter

Negatives:
- Depth looks suspect
- Fears Scott will play a team that’s too tall and lacks attack out of the backline were only increased.
- Was there a single non established player out there that might push into the beat 22?
Not on Saturday nights showing,usually leaving the ground or on the shuttle bus heading back to the car park you hear chatter regarding a stand out debutant.
Nothing after that game for the Cats,crickets.No one discussed in the car either on the long trip home other than Clark who looks to have fully recovered.

Not on Saturday nights showing,usually leaving the ground or on the shuttle bus heading back to the car park you hear chatter regarding a stand out debutant.
Nothing after that game for the Cats,crickets.No one discussed in the car either on the long trip home other than Clark who looks to have fully recovered.
Kennerley had a good last half hour.
Nobody else, though.

On Parsons. Agree with the best position assessment.

He continued, however, with his attempts at the "deft touch stuff" when body on the line was called for. Its not a good look and not Geelong.

He will play good footy in the twos again but unless we are decimated, he now needs 5 games in a row where he is in the bests and leaves the ground with more than just messy hair.
He need another 5 or 6 kgs on that frame,which raises two questions is that possible and will he get time at Geelong to do it,would require a contract extension.

He played 65% game time and had:

14 kicks
12 handballs
26 disposals
13 contested
1 goal assist
6 score involvements
4 marks
10 clearances (game high)
6 inside 50s (2nd highest)
6 tackles (top 5)

Had a great game.

Guys these matches really are useless in terms of the scoreboard.

Look back over the years and take a look at the hawthorn premiership team during off season practice games. Often got belted by 10 goals on occasions to bottom sides.

All that matters is they just take a look at certain mechanisms with game plans and also some individuals.

Its about the parts not the whole or the game outcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back