Review Marsh Series Week 3: West Coast v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we were really poor for 60% of the game, which was a touch worrying because WCE were going at half-effort for most of it. I'm not getting excited because we caught them on the back foot in the last quarter, but we held our own when the intensity was matched, which was pleasing. I think we ended up with 20+ more interchange rotations, hence the wet sail... but I've seen enough to think it's going to be a fun season, regardless of our win/loss.

Positives

Brayshaw - Played full game minutes for one of the few times in his career (and paid for it, with Kelly stepping on him in the last minute) and has shown he's going to make a name for himself this season. His kicking has improved and his contested work keeps developing with his body and he'd be my first picked as our inside mid.

Logue - Has the capacity to be anything. His trajectory has been so pleasing, with his game sense catching up to his athletic ability. His prospects this year are even more exciting considering he'll be further freed up with Ryan, Pearce and Hamling to come back.

Crowden - I didn't think he had what it takes after his first two seasons, but these two pre-season games he has showed that he's more comfortable under pressure, mostly making good decisions and executing. He's limited on scope but he's really impressed me.

Tucker - His last quarter was awesome, I couldn't have been more impressed and looks primed to play as a full-time mid. He has a great balance of inside and out and a terrific field kick, even though his ball drop is terrifying.

Watson, Duman & Hughes - All three look competent in their role and I've got a lot more confidence in our defensive depth. Given the average age of our defenders and their performance and further development of Young & Pina, it's an area of the ground we won't have to invest too much in over the next few years.

Cox - Thought he started poorly but really worked into it, still looks a bit too immobile but will only improve with more games in defense, but we might have to endure some frustrating games to get there. I still think he has a lot of scope to play forward and he might be forced there when Peace/Hamling comes back.

Sturt - A quiet game, but he looks a player to me that needs to play AFL football to develop his game further. I hope he isn't dropped for round one, because I get the feeling it's not going to take him long to adapt and become a very productive forward.

Schultz - I had him delisted at this end of this season but his energy & defensive pressure is really important for our forward line

Negatives

Hill - My favourite player, but his future looks grim if he can't make it through half of a pre-season match without injuring his quad on the back of a nine month rehabilitation. He's 30 in two months and I just don't see happy ending to his career.

Cerra - Dreadful game. I thought he'd improve from last week but he never really got into the game. I'm not worried though.

Banfield - His first three quarters were shocking and I'd put him permanently in Peel for 2020. But then his last quarter was super, however I'll find it hard to forget most of his game.

Bewely - I just don't see it. One of the best field kicks in the side and wins our time trials easily, however put him in a game and there's next to nothing that gives him an advantage. Somehow, he looks the slowest player on our list and some of his chases and second effort through the game were embarrassing and he's meant to be our best runner? His kicking without pressure is excellent, but he's an absolute bone head when he's forced into a contest. He is out of position more often than not and is almost always out positioned for a contested loose ball. 54% disposal efficiency for a guy with an 'elite' kick and giving up on chases in the last quarter on 80% game time for our best runner? Nah something's wrong between the ears.

I don't hate tabs, it's just he's got to stop doing the stupid s**t that he does consistently.
Unfortunately I don't think he ever will.

In my mind he will always be the player that teased us with flashes of being an elite forward but in the end never put it all together

I thought we were really poor for 60% of the game, which was a touch worrying because WCE were going at half-effort for most of it. I'm not getting excited because we caught them on the back foot in the last quarter, but we held our own when the intensity was matched, which was pleasing. I think we ended up with 20+ more interchange rotations, hence the wet sail... but I've seen enough to think it's going to be a fun season, regardless of our win/loss.

Nice player by player analysis, but what in particular leads you to conclude that WCE were going at half effort (presumably while we were going full tilt at the same time)?

My own take is that we were there or thereabouts with 10 of our best 22 players out compared to their 1or 2.

There is no doubt WC wanted that win and was trying. When Shuey does his usual thing and fakes high contact in one of the last centre bounces you know they want it.

Cam on a wing is good.. he will get even better. JLo's appraisal of him in the presser was glowing.

Tucker is going to explode this year. It's been coming for a while now.

Dixon still has a way to go but Tabs dropped an absolute sitter today and did some pretty ordinary things amongst a few strong contested marks. His set shots also let him down. I'm not a hater but am still.waiting for him to put it all together.
Tabs looks rusty still for mine. Timing out a little, wrestling and grabbing jumpers, ball bouncing off chest. He’s missed a fair bit of footy.

Shill also looked rusty and hopefully the quad awareness thing is just some soreness, having not played a lot.

I like Toby Watson but that Clanger in the third where he tried to pick out his mum in the grandstand. I’m not sure I’ve seen a kick out after a behind go so far out of bounds.

I like Toby Watson but that Clanger in the third where he tried to pick out his mum in the grandstand. I’m not sure I’ve seen a kick out after a behind go so far out of bounds.

Yeah, he genuinely appeared to be aiming there with his body and committed 100% of his energy into launching it as far as he could. It was actually pretty funny because his body language afterwards gave me the impression that he had not issue with what he just did.

Nice player by player analysis, but what in particular leads you to conclude that WCE were going at half effort (presumably while we were going full tilt at the same time)?

My own take is that we were there or thereabouts with 10 of our best 22 players out compared to their 1or 2.

I couldn't back that up with anything other than the 'eye test'. I've watched a lot of WCE over the last few years (my girlfriend) and their level of intent appeared to be well down for the most part, but came in and out of the game.

I think we had more players eager to consolidate a position in our best 22 than they did, so that's not for nothing, especially after Matera & Blakely were sent down.

Positives

Brayshaw - Played full game minutes for one of the few times in his career (and paid for it, with Kelly stepping on him in the last minute) and has shown he's going to make a name for himself this season. His kicking has improved and his contested work keeps developing with his body and he'd be my first picked as our inside mid.

Logue - Has the capacity to be anything. His trajectory has been so pleasing, with his game sense catching up to his athletic ability. His prospects this year are even more exciting considering he'll be further freed up with Ryan, Pearce and Hamling to come back.

Crowden - I didn't think he had what it takes after his first two seasons, but these two pre-season games he has showed that he's more comfortable under pressure, mostly making good decisions and executing. He's limited on scope but he's really impressed me.

Tucker - His last quarter was awesome, I couldn't have been more impressed and looks primed to play as a full-time mid. He has a great balance of inside and out and a terrific field kick, even though his ball drop is terrifying.

Watson, Duman & Hughes - All three look competent in their role and I've got a lot more confidence in our defensive depth. Given the average age of our defenders and their performance and further development of Young & Pina, it's an area of the ground we won't have to invest too much in over the next few years.

Cox - Thought he started poorly but really worked into it, still looks a bit too immobile but will only improve with more games in defense, but we might have to endure some frustrating games to get there. I still think he has a lot of scope to play forward and he might be forced there when Peace/Hamling comes back.

Sturt - A quiet game, but he looks a player to me that needs to play AFL football to develop his game further. I hope he isn't dropped for round one, because I get the feeling it's not going to take him long to adapt and become a very productive forward.

Schultz - I had him delisted at this end of this season but his energy & defensive pressure is really important for our forward line

Negatives

Hill - My favourite player, but his future looks grim if he can't make it through half of a pre-season match without injuring his quad on the back of a nine month rehabilitation. He's 30 in two months and I just don't see happy ending to his career.

Cerra - Dreadful game. I thought he'd improve from last week but he never really got into the game. I'm not worried though.

Banfield - His first three quarters were shocking and I'd put him permanently in Peel for 2020. But then his last quarter was super, however I'll find it hard to forget most of his game.

Bewely - I just don't see it. One of the best field kicks in the side and wins our time trials easily, however put him in a game and there's next to nothing that gives him an advantage. Somehow, he looks the slowest player on our list and some of his chases and second effort through the game were embarrassing and he's meant to be our best runner? His kicking without pressure is excellent, but he's an absolute bone head when he's forced into a contest. He is out of position more often than not and is almost always out positioned for a contested loose ball. 54% disposal efficiency for a guy with an 'elite' kick and giving up on chases in the last quarter on 80% game time for our best runner? Nah something's wrong between the ears.

Agree so much on Bewley. I think Banfield might of narrowly snuck through to rd 1.

Do you have a link to players stats from yesterday? Can’t find it on the afl site.?

Agree so much on Bewley. I think Banfield might of narrowly snuck through to rd 1.

Do you have a link to players stats from yesterday? Can’t find it on the afl site.?

You have to use the AFL app, if you're on a desktop you can use the foxfooty website but they're really basic.

Does anyone else have a resource for the AFL stats feed that isn't on the mobile?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he genuinely appeared to be aiming there with his body and committed 100% of his energy into launching it as far as he could. It was actually pretty funny because his body language afterwards gave me the impression that he had not issue with what he just did.
Apparently he’s a legendary poker player ole Toby. His mum took it lace out in Row WW Seat 32 and Tobes then gave us nothing no smile nor any frustration.

McCarthy should just stay HF and never again in the wing. He’s fit and leads well but different proposition under pressure. Got caught a few times

Look, I have a history of shitting on McCarthy but I don't mind the move. It was mentioned that he has been training for the wing role all pre-season and yesterday was effectively his first hit-out in the role. He still needs real exposure in the position during an actual match throughout the H&A season. I'm going to back him in to learn and experience the position. Whenever he went back to Peel, I always wanted them to just be put him through the middle so this is good enough.

Also people always said 16 > 17 > 18 > 19 that McCarthy had "lost weight" - No, this 19 > 20 block is where he actually did and seems to have worked for a body to play this role. There's something about his body language and attack on the ball at times that I've seen so far that makes me think for the first time he actually wants to be in the side.

Colyer 100%
Conca 94%
Hughes 88%

Our three best.

Normally Conca & Colyer are our very worst.
Colyer only touched the ball 13 times. He will likely start in round 1 but needs to get more of the ball or increase his tackle count. In saying that was pleasing to see him and Conca in particular use the ball much better.

What I saw nobody from either side wanted to get hurt, you guys kicked up to another gear in the 4th and blew us away. Nothing much more to take away from it than that because it was pretty much bruise free footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back