Review Marsh Series Week 3: West Coast v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the first three quarters this morning - a few things:

(1) A lot of people in this thread claimed Cerra was dreadful; now I haven't seen the last quarter but my thoughts were that he was pretty good in the first two quarters; in Q2 there was a kick that went over Walters head but a lot of handballs to advantage. In the third quarter he slowed down a lot (a lot less pressure when the opposition didn't have the ball), and there was a kick that a dropped metre short and another that (kicking from defence) went straight to West Coast. But apart from that he wasn't exactly turnover central or anything; players that got bigger wraps like Hughes, Hill and Tucker (at least watching - can't correlate with the stats that Summer the Bat has put up) much more wasteful. He also seemed to have a lot of time on ground which is a positive, although his effort dropped off as the game went on more than what I saw from the week before.

(2) Brayshaw was generally good but I did notice a lot of his disposals went backwards or sideways, ala Lachie Neale when he played for us. Last year he made much more attacking moves and I hope that comes back because often it just seems like an extra disposal that wastes time.

(3) I like Sturt a lot and should get a gurnsey first up, but noticed he got rag-dolled a few times in one on ones, so there is some work to do there. His go-to needs to be getting out a lead which he seems to be able to do easily (although it wasn't always honoured, particularly if Fyfe was in the forward line). Tackling and pressure was pretty good.

(4) Duman was really good; in absence of Wilson he should be picked. Adds more pure value than Conca in defence.

I thought Cerra played ok in the 4th quarter too. I'm pretty sure he was moved to half back.

Cerra's hand balling out of congestion yesterday was terrific however his kicking or decision making with his kicks needs some improvement.

The time it's taking for Tucker to really develop into a mid is understandable and we can see his improvement. I can see it will take time with Cerra too but eventually I believe he'll be better than Tucker.

I couldn't back that up with anything other than the 'eye test'. I've watched a lot of WCE over the last few years (my girlfriend) and their level of intent appeared to be well down for the most part, but came in and out of the game.

I think we had more players eager to consolidate a position in our best 22 than they did, so that's not for nothing, especially after Matera & Blakely were sent down.

For mine they showed the same ‘looking good but something missing’ vibe they finished with in 2019.

You would think guys like Brander, Waterman, Hutchings, Vardy (and even Kelly) had plenty of motivation.

Aish in for Bewley. I think I've already seen enough of Bewley for now. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season. Wouldn't be the first time.

Needs to work hard in the seconds and play himself into the B22 and make better use of his opportunities. He might need to do this a few times to earn a new contract. Good luck to him.

I must admit I didn't want us to draft serong and whilst this is not going to be popular, I still hold a number of reservations. He is certainly comfortable at the coal face, but seemingly lacks pace and endurance and of course is small. He has had moments in the both marsh community games and he does have some attributes to work with eg his tackle on Shuey in the last yesterday resulted in a goal, but I wouldn't be unhappy with him learning more at peel to prepare him for the AFL. Just think we need to temper expectations and perhaps I need to be more objective/optimistic.

For mine they showed the same ‘looking good but something missing’ vibe they finished with in 2019.

You would think guys like Brander, Waterman, Hutchings, Vardy (and even Kelly) had plenty of motivation.
Complacency is the issue I reckon, will beat up the weaker teams but when the heat is on they go missing.
Only Gaff appears desperate, consistent to get to the big dance.
They haven't been the same since Sam went to Hawks, you could see how much the Tigers were hurting after
2018, and that what was the driving force in 2019.

I must admit I didn't want us to draft serong and whilst this is not going to be popular, I still hold a number of reservations. He is certainly comfortable at the coal face, but seemingly lacks pace and endurance and of course is small. He has had moments in the both marsh community games and he does have some attributes to work with eg his tackle on Shuey in the last yesterday resulted in a goal, but I wouldn't be unhappy with him learning more at peel to prepare him for the AFL. Just think we need to temper expectations and perhaps I need to be more objective/optimistic.

I think JLo thinks he needs more time so no arguments with that one but he looks to have it to me.

I reckon Serong will be a better player than Brayshaw and Cerra eventually.

Agree about the perceived lack of pace. I'm hoping when he gets fitter that it may not be quite so much of an issue. Sounds like he was concentrating on school cricket before being drafted.

I think JLo thinks he needs more time so no arguments with that one but he looks to have it to me.

I reckon Serong will be a better player than Brayshaw and Cerra eventually.

Agree - to me he is having the most impact as a first year player (admittedly early days) since the likes of Hill/Fyfe/Morabito etc. They're going slow with him out of an abundance of caution. Nothing less. We've already seen he is strong in the contest, can take a grab and has sublime tight space disposal vision and skills.

What I saw nobody from either side wanted to get hurt, you guys kicked up to another gear in the 4th and blew us away. Nothing much more to take away from it than that because it was pretty much bruise free footy.
You mean apart from the sling tackle and Nic Nat running front on into Ryan.

Did you even watch the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicked the goal to get is in front - saved the goal at the other end to win it.

The guy's a ripper. If he was playing at a Vic club he'd be on the back page of the Herald Sun.
Sorry, we were talking about different things. Good on him for getting down there I suppose but he hardly saved the game.

Cerra stopped Ryan from taking a shot on goal with a massive lunge and half-tackle. Thought that’s what you meant

Last edited:
Mate, unless Cerra ran off and put on number 41, I think you're wrong. Skip to 5.46

Cerra's chase on Ryan which caused him to give it up to Cox was far more important. If Ryan managed to get there, pick the ball up, turn and snap in the 4 seconds that was left when Duman spoiled it, it would have been the goal of the century practically

Remove this Banner Ad

Back