Game Day Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Jackson love fest, he’s an exciting talent. It will be interesting to see how many games he gets this year.

Based on what I think our ball movement needs, I’d love for him to be able become another marking target for us around the ground during slow play and up forward ASAP but he might need to bulk up over another preseason or two first.

Speaking of Langdon, I'm yet to see any evidence of him being a turnover merchant.
Looks like he works to his limitations.
Certainly not in Dom Tyson's league with it.
Dunno I think its pretty obvious his kicking is poor. Missed a couple of 15m kicks by a long way under no pressure. Can already see he's one of the worst kicks in our side.

Dunno I think its pretty obvious his kicking is poor. Missed a couple of 15m kicks by a long way under no pressure. Can already see he's one of the worst kicks in our side.
And yet, he's actually not as bad as I thought he was going to be. He's not a good kick by any stretch, but as long as he's aware of his limitations, and doesn't try to bite off too much, it shouldn't hurt us too badly.

My take aways...
They need to develop Jackson carefully as he does seem to have a huge upside. I can see why they picked him now.
Tomlinson and Langdon, if they stay fit, look like freeing up the team so that:-
- Cycle Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw in the middle more.
- Allow Melksham and Fritsch to stay forward.
- Allow ANB, Harmes, Jones and others to play "roles" tag a player, be defensive, apply forward pressure, be a runner etc

I think it has been a huge problem that many players have been asked to play roles they struggle with (the wing) and can only partly fill that position. These two acquisitions look like they could have solved this.

Team still bombs the ball into the forward 50 a bit much. Not sure if the clumping around the ball is still a thing or not. It did not stand out much in the game I thought but I forgot to pay attention to that. These had been my big two issues last year.

I will mention in 1990 when Collingwood brought in Francis and I think Russell that solved a lot team balance issues for them. Hopefully this has the same impact.

Jetta, Lever and May all looked good (a bit rusty) and O.McDonald looks like he will be the silent third tall down there (which is preferred).

I have gotten over Frost going. He is great to watch but I think he is surplus at this stage (best of luck to him).

And yet, he's actually not as bad as I thought he was going to be. He's not a good kick by any stretch, but as long as he's aware of his limitations, and doesn't try to bite off too much, it shouldn't hurt us too badly.
I think he's gonna play a successful role for us but he's got the new trade glow, just wait until halfway through the year and people will be talking about it. As long as he runs more than he kicks he should be ok, like I've said before his attacking won't be the reason we got him.

Conversely I think Tomlinson is looking better than predicted thanks to Cannons smear campaign. Both of them worked incredibly hard to get back in defence and that's their real value. They help us overload and protect the defenders from ground balls and then both can work up and help us with the press.

Of course I know fritta can’t take the ball at its highest point, it was poorly worded. So if you are going to nitpick that go an nitpick the hundreds of other comments in this thread champ.
You have serious issues man.

I'll never understand why people were against getting Tomlinson. A lock and loaded B grader, who fills a need, on an affordable wage for free. Why would you be against that? Would you complain if a restaurant brought you a free beer?

Yeah it’s like complaining about free beer because it’s not your absolute favourite.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll never understand why people were against getting Tomlinson. A lock and loaded B grader, who fills a need, on an affordable wage for free. Why would you be against that? Would you complain if a restaurant brought you a free beer?
Those are the same people who think unless you walk away from a trade winning on face value then you must have lost it.

Not only that but people suggesting he play in the backline was quite perplexing. The club publicly stated we tried over 12 players on the wings, we bring an established Winger from another clubs why on earth would he play anywhere else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only that but people suggesting he play in the backline was quite perplexing. The club publicly stated we tried over 12 players on the wings, we bring an established Winger from another clubs why on earth would he play anywhere else
Hopefully our coach has taken some of this advice after the Fritsch fiasco last year. Harmes to HB needs to die a quick death as well which it appears it may have.

Quarter two was tough on the eyes.

Other than the May to Gawn to Langdon to Frisch sequence for a goal, and Fritsch high pointing a mark it was pretty ugly.

I just watched the replay this morning. All the players talk about Petracca being a pest in the locker room, but boy he's a pest on the field. Imagine trying to pick up the ball with him in the vicinity, love it. Tomlinson and Langdon certainly add some much needed outside run, good to see players that don't get sucked into the inside. We look like we've regained our scoring power, fritta should never be seen in the backline again.

This may be unpopular but I'd like to see Harmes as a tagger again. He played that role so well and won a lot of his own footy
Not unpopular at all around here, completely agree. A tagger that accumulates and hurts the opposition with the ball is like hens teeth, one of multiple reasons this move to half back is so perplexing

I think I just spotted the Vanders foot injury. 11.35ish on the clock - he takes the ball after a boundary throw in on the wing, as he kicks, Scully comes across to smother and it looks like AVB kicks his leg. Afterwards he checks out his foot for a second, and then hobbles off a little bit. Tho 10 seconds later seems to be running fine and plays a few more minutes, tho from about 9mins to go, I think he's gone off. Hopefully just playing it safe

I think I just spotted the Vanders foot injury. 11.35ish on the clock - he takes the ball after a boundary throw in on the wing, as he kicks, Scully comes across to smother and it looks like AVB kicks his leg. Afterwards he checks out his foot for a second, and then hobbles off a little bit. Tho 10 seconds later seems to be running fine and plays a few more minutes, tho from about 9mins to go, I think he's gone off. Hopefully just playing it safe
They said precautionary on the telecast, fingers crossed

They said precautionary on the telecast, fingers crossed
He was back on the ground around 3-4mins left, so obviously not impeded in any way. Likely one of those one's that if it was anyone else, in a real game, he would have played through it, but 6 qrts is more than enough for him with where he's at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back