Opinion Marshall vs Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to throw Ollie Lord in with Marshall here and say that both guys need to focus on being more aggressive.

Georgiades currently has that trait. You could argue that we could fit 4 talls in due to Marshall's athleticism.

But if Ken doesn't do it, I'm picking Georgiades.

I don't think we can have Dixon, Marshall, Georgiadis, Ladhams/Lycett in the same forward line.

Not for the too top-heavy factor, more that too many of Rozee, Gray, Motlop, Fantasia get pushed out for too much of the game.

Georgiades is probably going to kick more goals, his best work is done in the forward 50. Todd's best work is arguably around the ground with his elite field kicking.

Different styles of the same position. I can see merit for both players but I dont think there is anyone you'd drop to play both in the same team at this point in time.

I dont think it is good precedent to have Georgiades play a blinder but to be dropped the next week. I understand that Marshall wouldn't have been dropped on his form, but you also have to reward Georgiades' form.

Regardless, problems like these are the ones you want to have.

Is Georgiadis really a tall at 1.91m? Can he play as a small?
Despite him saying last year that he can be a mid one day, I reckon that's rubbish, he's a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Georgiadis be the Dixon replacement? I see Marshall playing a bit higher up. Both good but different.

I reckon Ken will stick Marshall back in the way he answered the presser.

Is Georgiadis really a tall at 1.91m? Can he play as a small?

I don't think this is a concern at all. Jack Darling is 191cm. Jack doesn't have the leap on him that Georgie does either.

Georgiades and it isnt even close. Showed more yesterday than Marshall ever has and i dont mind Marshall, its just the cold hard truth. Im not really understanding this notion we cant play both tho. Georgiades is quick and i dont believe that it makes us too slow. Play either up the ground a bit as a high leading half forward.

John Butcher.

Georgiades could hardly have put forward a more emphatic statement to the selectors than he did yesterday.

To be honest, I've been expecting Georgiades to go past Marshall this season, which is why I was a little disappointed when Marshall got the nod for round one. Nothing against Marshall but Georgiades is a special talent. His marking is top shelf, he's got presence, his field kicking is good, his goal kicking is good. He simply makes us a better team and needs to be played.

As for the discussion around playing both, not sure I can get behind that. If Marshall has a place in the team, it has to be ahead of Ladhams at this point (or as a defender which was an interesting discussion point raised elsewhere).

Georgiades could hardly have put forward a more emphatic statement to the selectors than he did yesterday.

To be honest, I've been expecting Georgiades to go past Marshall this season, which is why I was a little disappointed when Marshall got the nod for round one. Nothing against Marshall but Georgiades is a special talent. His marking is top shelf, he's got presence, his field kicking is good, his goal kicking is good. He simply makes us a better team and needs to be played.

As for the discussion around playing both, not sure I can get behind that. If Marshall has a place in the team, it has to be ahead of Ladhams at this point (or as a defender which was an interesting discussion point raised elsewhere).
I don't think the coaches are going to let that happen.

They sound like they want him to earn his spot by doing an apprenticeship in the SANFL while they're probably choosing to be slowly slowly with him because of the lack of actual match play in the last 2.5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back