Opinion Marshall vs Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s a waste using a natural forward in the midfield, unless we are trying to shake it up

I could see him being used as a pinch hitting midfielder in a similar way to how Tredrea and Chad Cornes were used from 05-07 under Choco. But he has KPF written all over him.

KPF's are worth 10x more than on-ballers imo. When you find one, you don't try to convert them into a midfielder just for the sake of it.

I remember Stewy Dew telling me after he kicked 51 goals in a season that he'd rather play on the wing instead of half forward.

Players seem to really value midfield minutes over kicking goals. Similar story with Monfries and Motlop.

Edit: Although some players like Dixon and Aliir would rather be the bookends of the side instead of ruck.

Georgiades is 2cm shorter than Bontempelli, on a wet day he could rotate through the mids (once he has the tank).
Dixon has been playing more CHF than FF and Marshall can Westhoff with the best.

IMO we should play all three as long as they maintain form.
If Ladhams can regain best 22 status I'm sure there are roles for him also.
If George can play in the midfield then the Lad might get back in

Proven goal kickers stay in the forward line thanks.

Champion players go where they can do the most damage. It's absolutely about how he matures as a player, but you would have left Robbie Gray or Gary Ablett Jr in the forward pocket full time because they were proven goalkickers.

He might not develop midfield qualities enough to make it worth it, but there's just something special about him.

Champion players go where they can do the most damage. It's absolutely about how he matures as a player, but you would have left Robbie Gray or Gary Ablett Jr in the forward pocket full time because they were proven goalkickers.

He might not develop midfield qualities enough to make it worth it, but there's just something special about him.

No, that's a different kind of point to what you were originally making. Robbie spent all his time forward against Carlton which is entirely a different role to what Pendlebury played. I've always preferred Robbie in a forward role and I preferred Chad there too.
I want Georgiades spending the majority of his time forward because we've been crying out for (tall) proven goal kickers for years.

No, that's a different kind of point to what you were originally making. Robbie spent all his time forward against Carlton which is entirely a different role to what Pendlebury played. I've always preferred Robbie in a forward role and I preferred Chad there too.
I want Georgiades spending the majority of his time forward because we've been crying out for (tall) proven goal kickers for years.
Robbie 2014 was the best player in the comp as a midfielder.

But agree, leave MG forward.

Robbie is in the twilight of his career. When he was among the best players in the league he was a midfielder who rotated forward rather than the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I've written hundreds of thousands of words on this forum about how we need to develop tall forwards, but I could absolutely see Georgiades adding strings to his bow and becoming a Chad Cornes type who can go into the middle and turn a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie is in the twilight of his career. When he was among the best players in the league he was a midfielder who rotated forward rather than the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I've written hundreds of thousands of words on this forum about how we need to develop tall forwards, but I could absolutely see Georgiades adding strings to his bow and becoming a Chad Cornes type who can go into the middle and turn a match.

Have to disagree. When Chad played as a midfielder I don't recall there being as many tall, strong, skilled midfielders as there are now. With Mitches leap and ability to lead I want him left as a dynamic forward, especially as Dixon starts to age and we will be left with Marshall as our only true KPF. A role which he doesn't even really play when he is at his best. His best work is done up the ground and not as a contested marking forward, although he hopefully will develop into that sort of player. Hopefully Dixon will age well because of his height and strength.

The Houston to Georgiades goal in Q1 was ****ing poetry. I still can't figure out how they pulled it off. Either it was pure luck or they're both psychic.

Jason Dunstall: “If he meant to kick that then that’s one of the best kicks you’ll ever see”

Jason Dunstall: “If he meant to kick that then that’s one of the best kicks you’ll ever see”
The think it’s fair to give Houston the benefit of the doubt there.

I feel like we need a thread dedicated to just talls so we can debate the Rucks/Forwards/Backs structure. Its not just Georgie vs Marshall, we nnede to involve Ladhams, Lord and others in the discussion.

Oh and I'll say both these boys are required 1st team players, Marshall will be an elite CHF/ high forward player in the comp in the next few years.

Have to disagree. When Chad played as a midfielder I don't recall there being as many tall, strong, skilled midfielders as there are now. With Mitches leap and ability to lead I want him left as a dynamic forward, especially as Dixon starts to age and we will be left with Marshall as our only true KPF. A role which he doesn't even really play when he is at his best. His best work is done up the ground and not as a contested marking forward, although he hopefully will develop into that sort of player. Hopefully Dixon will age well because of his height and strength.

I see a bit of Hodges with Mitch, have said it before. Third forward/Half Forward flanker who moved to grass well, was dynamically athletic and had shoulders that allow them to carry an extra 8-12kg’s to compete. However today’s game is a different style of play. Mitch also moved well in a Fyfe mould so see why some may want him around a stoppage.

He is more value as a developing Key Forward, considering we have the likes of Rozee, Mead and Scofield at this point in time to work into the Midfield group over time.

I see a bit of Hodges with Mitch, have said it before. Third forward/Half Forward flanker who moved to grass well, was dynamically athletic and had shoulders that allow them to carry an extra 8-12kg’s to compete. However today’s game is a different style of play. Mitch also moved well in a Fyfe mould so see why some may want him around a stoppage.

He is more value as a developing Key Forward, considering we have the likes of Rozee, Mead and Scofield at this point in time to work into the Midfield group over time.
We also have Wines, SPP and Drew playing for at least 5 more years as pure inside bulls. It is likely we will either draft or trade (more likely trade) some ready made bulls in the future.

To me, surely most teams would much prefer a tallish, leaping, leading forward who is a superb kick for goal with Mitch's abilities compared to what is today only a tallish, strongish inside mid with reasonable disposal skills.

We’d feel sad losing a decent to amazing third tall forward but the potential upside of a midfielder with Mitch’s height is pretty wild. If they think he’ll play there we are likely to see it within a couple of years is my guess. It’s rather exciting either way as his form has been absolutely spectacular for someone so young.

We’d feel sad losing a decent to amazing third tall forward but the potential upside of a midfielder with Mitch’s height is pretty wild. If they think he’ll play there we are likely to see it within a couple of years is my guess. It’s rather exciting either way as his form has been absolutely spectacular for someone so young.

wouldn’t he be a Wines or SPP type midfielder

Georgiades will be far more valuable as a forward. The fascination in developing talls as mids is an easy way out for them.
It's *in spazo talk by coaches who have failed the most basic thing,, to make sure we kick more goals than the oppo.

You dont take away a goal kicker to rack up useless stats in the middle as well as do some useless running around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back